difference between pajānati and sampajānakā rī in MN 119?

  • frank
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
      Dear Pāḷi friends,

      In MN 119, mindfulness immersed in the body sutta, "walking, standing,
      sitting, lying down" is covered twice. Once under the section of
      postures with "pajānati", and again in the next section of
      "sampajānakārī " . CPED defines

      sampajañña nt. discrimination; comprehension.
      sampajāna adj. thoughtful.
      sampajānakārī 3 mindful.
      (are all of those 3 words based on the same stem?)

      and

      pajānanā f. knowledge; understanding; discernment.
      pajānāti pa +ñā + nā knows clearly.

      So how are the differences to be understood, with respect to
      "walking/standing/sitting/lying" in "pajānati" versus "sampajānakārī "?
      My question on this is primarily motivated by how to fine tune
      meditation and satipatthana practice.

      Metta,
      Frank

      Excerpts from Thanissaro's english and burmese tipitaka follow:

      "Furthermore, when walking, the monk discerns, 'I am walking.' When
      standing, he discerns, 'I am standing.' When sitting, he discerns, 'I am
      sitting.' When lying down, he discerns, 'I am lying down.' Or however
      his body is disposed, that is how he discerns it. And as he remains thus
      heedful, ardent, & resolute, any memories & resolves related to the
      household life are abandoned, and with their abandoning his mind gathers
      & settles inwardly, grows unified & centered. This is how a monk
      develops mindfulness immersed in the body.

      (postures)

      ‘‘Puna caparaṃ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu gacchanto vā ‘gacchāmī’ti pajānāti,
      ṭhito vā ‘ṭhitomhī’ti pajānāti, nisinno vā ‘nisinnomhī’ti pajānāti,
      sayāno vā ‘sayānomhī’ti pajānāti. Yathā yathā vā panassa kāyo paṇihito
      hoti, tathā tathā naṃ pajānāti. Tassa evaṃ appamattassa ātāpino
      pahitattassa viharato ye gehasitā sarasaṅkappā te pahīyanti. Tesaṃ
      pahānā ajjhattameva cittaṃ santiṭṭhati sannisīdati ekodi hoti
      samādhiyati. Evampi, bhikkhave, bhikkhu kāyagatāsatiṃ bhāveti.

      (fully alert)

      "Furthermore, when going forward & returning, he makes himself fully
      alert; when looking toward & looking away... when bending & extending
      his limbs... when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his bowl...
      when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring... when urinating &
      defecating... when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking
      up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert. And as he
      remains thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, any memories & resolves
      related to the household life are abandoned, and with their abandoning
      his mind gathers & settles inwardly, grows unified & centered. This is
      how a monk develops mindfulness immersed in the body.

      (sampajāna)

      ‘‘Puna caparaṃ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu abhikkante paṭikkante sampajānakārī
      hoti, ālokite vilokite sampajānakārī hoti, samiñjite pasārite
      sampajānakārī hoti, saṅghāṭipattacīvaradhāraṇe sampajānakārī hoti, asite
      pīte khāyite sāyite sampajānakārī hoti, uccārapassāvakamme sampajānakārī
      hoti, gate ṭhite nisinne sutte jāgarite bhāsite tuṇhībhāve sampajānakārī
      hoti. Tassa evaṃ appamattassa ātāpino pahitattassa viharato ye gehasitā
      sarasaṅkappā te pahīyanti. Tesaṃ pahānā ajjhattameva cittaṃ santiṭṭhati
      sannisīdati ekodi hoti samādhiyati. Evampi, bhikkhave, bhikkhu
      kāyagatāsatiṃ bhāveti.
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 13, 2012
        Dear Frank,

        In all cases the root verb is pajānāti which means to know or understand. With the prejfix sam- it expresses thoroughness, intensity or completeness (cf sam in Monier Williams), so that sampajānāti means "to know perfectly). I take it as simply a higher level of knowing than simply pajānāti, if such is possible.
        All three words sampajaññā, sampajāna and sampajānakāri are from this verbal root (sam-pra-jñā in Sanskrit), however the last one has a suffix  -kārī added on which means "doing" or "making".

        Also for your interest, the word pahitatta, in both these sections has an additional meaning of "abandoned self", as well as its usual meaning of "directed or resolute self". The word can be derived from either pra+dhā (Pāli padahati, to exert, or strive, past participle pahita)  or pa+hā/pa+hi (Pāli pajahati, past participle pahāta or pahīna; or pahiṇati (Skt. pahiṇoti), past participle pahita and equivalent in meaning to pa+hā) both meaning to abandon. because of the change of -dh- > -h- their past participles (pahita) coincide. The compound's dual meaning is especially clear in this context, as ye gehasitā sarasaṅkappā te pahīyanti  "any memories & resolves related to the household life are abandoned" and the same verb form (pahīyanti., which is the passive of pra + hā) is employed.

        Metta, Bryan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 13, 2012
          Dear Frank,
          Op 5-feb-2012, om 18:03 heeft frank het volgende geschreven:
          > In MN 119, mindfulness immersed in the body sutta, "walking, standing,
          > sitting, lying down" is covered twice. Once under the section of
          > postures with "pajānati", and again in the next section of
          > "sampajānakārī " . CPED defines
          >
          > sampajañña nt. discrimination; comprehension.
          > sampajāna adj. thoughtful.
          > sampajānakārī 3 mindful.
          > (are all of those 3 words based on the same stem?)

          -------
          N: Yes. Sampaja~n~na is another term for pa~n~naa. We often find the
          combination: sati sampaja~n~na, mindfulness and understanding. When
          there is mindfulness of a reality such as hardness appearing at this
          moment, there can be at the same time understanding of it that sees
          it as just a kind of ruupa, material phenomenon, not mine, not self.
          ------
          > F: pajānanā f. knowledge; understanding; discernment.
          > pajānāti pa +ñā + nā knows clearly.

          ------
          N: Your definition is right. Pa~n~na can clearly understand whatever
          dhamma appears, it understands its nature as impermanent, dukkha,
          anattaa.
          ------

          > F: So how are the differences to be understood, with respect to
          > "walking/standing/sitting/lying" in "pajānati" versus
          > "sampajānakārī "?
          > My question on this is primarily motivated by how to fine tune
          > meditation and satipatthana practice.

          ------
          N: While walking there are different mental phenomena, naama, and
          physical phenomena, ruupa, appearing, one at a time. For instance,
          there is seeing, or hardness, or feeling. When there is sati
          sampaja~n~na these can be understood as just different dhammas that
          do not last. We can find out that there is no person, no "I" who is
          walking.
          From the commentary to the satipa.t.thaanasutta (The Way of
          Mindfulness, by Soma Thera):
          <In the elucidation of these questions the following is said: Who
          goes? No living being or person whatsoever. Whose going is it? Not
          the going of any living being or person. On account of what does the
          going take place? On account of the diffusion of the process of
          oscillation born of mental activity. Because of that this yogi knows
          thus: If there arises the thought, "I shall go," that thought
          produces the process of oscillation; the process of oscillation
          produces expression (the bodily movement which indicates going and so
          forth). The moving on of the whole body through the diffusion of the
          process of oscillation is called going.>
          N: Just different phenomena going on, no living being.
          Quote: <Therefore the commentator said:
          Just as a ship goes on by winds impelled,
          Just as a shaft goes by the bowstring's force,
          So goes this body in its forward course
          Full driven by the vibrant thrust of air.
          As to the puppet's back the dodge-thread's tied
          So to the body-doll the mind is joined
          And pulled by that the body moves, stands, sits.
          Where is the living being that can stand,
          Or walk, by force of its own inner strength,
          Without conditions that give it support?>
          More on sampajanajakari, in italics is the subco. :

          <Sampajanakari = "Practicing clear comprehension." Doing without fail
          all actions with clear comprehension [sampajaññena sabba kicca
          kari]. Or the doing of only clear comprehension [sampajaññasseva va
          kari].
          Clear comprehension [sampajananam] = comprehending clearly
          [sampajanam]. Both words mean the same thing; their difference is
          only one of affix. Doing without fail all actions with clear
          comprehension is the character of doing what ought to be done by
          oneself, with clear comprehension [attana kattabba kiccassa karana
          sila]. The doing of only clear comprehension is the character of
          practicing clear comprehension [sampajanassa karana sila].

          For the yogi practices only clear comprehension and is nowhere bereft
          of clear comprehension, in going forwards and going backwards.There
          are these four kinds of comprehension: clear comprehension of purpose
          [satthaka sampajañña], of suitability [sappaya sampajañña], of
          resort [gocara sampajañña], and of non-delusion [asammoha
          sampajañña]....>

          -----

          N: Many details about these four. Resort, gocara, is the field which
          are the objects of mindfulness and non-delusion, asammoha
          sampaja~n~na, understanding realities as they are. Anyway, the
          meaning is not: know what one is doing, not the conventional sense,
          but: being mindful of the dhammas that appear one at a time through
          six doorways, no matter where and when, in order to understand the
          truth of dhammas.

          > Metta,
          > Frank
          >
          > Excerpts from Thanissaro's english and burmese tipitaka follow:
          >
          > "Furthermore, when walking, the monk discerns, 'I am walking.' When
          > standing, he discerns, 'I am standing.' When sitting, he discerns,
          > 'I am
          > sitting.' When lying down, he discerns, 'I am lying down.' Or however
          > his body is disposed, that is how he discerns it. And as he remains
          > thus
          > heedful, ardent, & resolute, any memories & resolves related to the
          > household life are abandoned, and with their abandoning his mind
          > gathers
          > & settles inwardly, grows unified & centered. This is how a monk
          > develops mindfulness immersed in the body.
          >
          > (postures)
          >
          > ‘‘Puna caparaṃ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu gacchanto vā
          > ‘gacchāmī’ti pajānāti,
          > ṭhito vā ‘ṭhitomhī’ti pajānāti, nisinno vā
          > ‘nisinnomhī’ti pajānāti,
          > sayāno vā ‘sayānomhī’ti pajānāti. Yathā yathā vā
          > panassa kāyo paṇihito
          > hoti, tathā tathā naṃ pajānāti. Tassa evaṃ appamattassa
          > ātāpino
          > pahitattassa viharato ye gehasitā sarasaṅkappā te pahīyanti.
          > Tesaṃ
          > pahānā ajjhattameva cittaṃ santiṭṭhati sannisīdati ekodi hoti
          > samādhiyati. Evampi, bhikkhave, bhikkhu kāyagatāsatiṃ bhāveti.
          >
          > (fully alert)
          >
          > "Furthermore, when going forward & returning, he makes himself fully
          > alert; when looking toward & looking away... when bending & extending
          > his limbs... when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his
          > bowl...
          > when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring... when urinating &
          > defecating... when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking
          > up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert. And
          > as he
          > remains thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, any memories & resolves
          > related to the household life are abandoned, and with their abandoning
          > his mind gathers & settles inwardly, grows unified & centered. This is
          > how a monk develops mindfulness immersed in the body.
          >
          > (sampajāna)
          >
          > ‘‘Puna caparaṃ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu abhikkante paṭikkante
          > sampajānakārī
          > hoti, ālokite vilokite sampajānakārī hoti, samiñjite pasārite
          > sampajānakārī hoti, saṅghāṭipattacīvaradhāraṇe
          > sampajānakārī hoti, asite
          > pīte khāyite sāyite sampajānakārī hoti, uccārapassāvakamme
          > sampajānakārī
          > hoti, gate ṭhite nisinne sutte jāgarite bhāsite tuṇhībhāve
          > sampajānakārī
          > hoti. Tassa evaṃ appamattassa ātāpino pahitattassa viharato ye
          > gehasitā
          > sarasaṅkappā te pahīyanti. Tesaṃ pahānā ajjhattameva
          > cittaṃ santiṭṭhati
          > sannisīdati ekodi hoti samādhiyati. Evampi, bhikkhave, bhikkhu
          > kāyagatāsatiṃ bhāveti.

        • frank
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 14, 2012
            Dear Bryan,
            Thanks for the explanation. So from CPED,
            *jānāti* /ñā/ + nā knows; finds out; to be aware.
            and
            pajānāti pa +ñā + nā knows clearly.
            and finally
            sampajānāti means "to know perfectly"

            One of the monks I asked said Ajaan Geoff translates pajanati as
            discernment and sampajanakari as making yourself fully alert. The key is
            in the "kari," "making" in that it requires more effort, is more active,
            than pajanati, which would be more purely observational.

            All of these comments do help somewhat in differentiating how the
            "walking/sitting/lying/standing" is to practiced under the two
            categories, yet it still doesn't give me a clear picture of exactly how
            it should be practiced, other than the general idea that under
            "sampajānati kari" it's is a little "deeper".

            Metta,
            Frank
            On 3/13/2012 6:38 AM, Bryan Levman wrote:

            > Dear Frank,
            >
            > In all cases the root verb is pajānāti which means to know or
            > understand. With the prejfix sam- it expresses thoroughness, intensity
            > or completeness (cf sam in Monier Williams), so that sampajānāti means
            > "to know perfectly). I take it as simply a higher level of knowing
            > than simply pajānāti, if such is possible.
            > All three words sampajaññā, sampajāna and sampajānakāri are from this
            > verbal root (sam-pra-jñā in Sanskrit), however the last one has a
            > suffix -kārī added on which means "doing" or "making".
            >
            > Also for your interest, the word pahitatta, in both these sections has
            > an additional meaning of "abandoned self", as well as its usual
            > meaning of "directed or resolute self". The word can be derived from
            > either pra+dhā (Pāli padahati, to exert, or strive, past participle
            > pahita) or pa+hā/pa+hi (Pāli pajahati, past participle pahāta or
            > pahīna; or pahiṇati (Skt. pahiṇoti), past participle pahita and
            > equivalent in meaning to pa+hā) both meaning to abandon. because of
            > the change of -dh- > -h- their past participles (pahita) coincide. The
            > compound's dual meaning is especially clear in this context, as ye
            > gehasitā sarasaṅkappā te pahīyanti "any memories & resolves related
            > to the household life are abandoned" and the same verb form
            > (pahīyanti., which is the passive of pra + hā) is employed.
            >
            > Metta, Bryan
            >
            > ________________________________

          • frank
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 14, 2012
              Thanks for the Abhidhamma and commentary perspective. It is helpful.
              Do they explain how the walking/standing/sitting/lying is to practiced
              differently under the two categories? My impression of reading what you
              wrote seems that the 4 resorts would apply in both categories of
              sampajanakari and pajanati.

              Metta,
              Frank

              On 3/13/2012 6:53 AM, Nina van Gorkom wrote:

> [...]
              > > his mind gathers & settles inwardly, grows unified & centered. This is
              > > how a monk develops mindfulness immersed in the body.
              > >
              > > (sampajāna)
              > >
              > > ‘‘Puna caparaṃ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu abhikkante paṭikkante
              > > sampajānakārī
              > > hoti, ālokite vilokite sampajānakārī hoti, samiñjite pasārite
              > > sampajānakārī hoti, saṅghāṭipattacīvaradhāraṇe
              > > sampajānakārī hoti, asite
              > > pīte khāyite sāyite sampajānakārī hoti, uccārapassāvakamme
              > > sampajānakārī
              > > hoti, gate ṭhite nisinne sutte jāgarite bhāsite tuṇhībhāve
              > > sampajānakārī
              > > hoti. Tassa evaṃ appamattassa ātāpino pahitattassa viharato ye
              > > gehasitā
              > > sarasaṅkappā te pahīyanti. Tesaṃ pahānā ajjhattameva
              > > cittaṃ santiṭṭhati
              > > sannisīdati ekodi hoti samādhiyati. Evampi, bhikkhave, bhikkhu

            • Bhikkhu Analayo
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 15, 2012
                The Center for Buddhist Studies at the University of Hamburg invites anyone interested to join our e learning sutta study course this semester. Participation if free of charge, the only requirement is online registration before the 15th of April and internet access to view the lectures. We will be reading suttas from the Madhyama-aagama in comparison with the Pali parallels, for more information please visit our website

                http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/fileadmin/pdf/analayo/lectures.htm

                with much mettaa

                Bhikkhu Analayo

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 17, 2012
                  Dear Frank,
                  Op 14-mrt-2012, om 19:09 heeft frank het volgende geschreven:

                  > Thanks for the Abhidhamma and commentary perspective. It is helpful.
                  > Do they explain how the walking/standing/sitting/lying is to practiced
                  > differently under the two categories? My impression of reading what
                  > you
                  > wrote seems that the 4 resorts would apply in both categories of
                  > sampajanakari and pajanati.
                  -------
                  N: Pa~n~naa is what matters. All phenomena that appear, no matter in
                  what posture, have to be eventually understood as impermanent,
                  dukkha, anattaa. When we think of a posture the object of thinking is
                  a concept, but in the ultimate sense there are no postures, only
                  naama and ruupa. These have to be understood as they are. It does not
                  matter what word is used, sampajanakari or pajanati, but
                  understanding should be developed.

                • Bryan Levman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 18, 2012
                    Dear Frank,

                    To me the words can only be taken as a guide for different
                    "levels" or intensities of knowing. Nina is quite right in that the
                    main point of the discourse is understand things as they are, to go beyond the
                    conceptual (and it is arguable whether there is such a thing as
                    "levels" of knowing at all). But  this kind of progression
                    occurs many times in the writings (core verb, then different kinds of
                    intensifying prefixes), usually I think as a form of intensification: e.g.

                    Mahāparnibbāna
                    sutta (2, 137):
                    tāni tathāgatassa sarīraṃ okiranti ajjhokiranti abhippakiranti tathāgatassa pūjāya, describing how the flowers sprinkle
                    over the Buddha‘s body.  okiranti means to "strew" (ava > o-
                    meaning "down"). abhipakiranti (abhipra-) has the additional sense of
                    "completely" and ajjho (< Skt. adhyava-) also has the sense
                    of  "down from above."  In other words they
                    all seem to mean the same or something similar, the intensification coming as
                    much from the waxing syllable principle (4-5-6) as from the words themselves.

                    As is well known the Buddha did not believe (unlike the tīrthikas) that
                    language had any innate sense of meaning; words did not come from the mouth of
                    Brahma but were arbitrary conventions created by humans. So the words can take
                    us only so far,

                    Metta, Bryan

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 18, 2012
                      Dear Bryan and Frank,
                      Op 18-mrt-2012, om 14:22 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

                      > As is well known the Buddha did not believe (unlike the tīrthikas)
                      > that
                      > language had any innate sense of meaning; words did not come from
                      > the mouth of
                      > Brahma but were arbitrary conventions created by humans. So the
                      > words can take
                      > us only so far,
                      -------
                      N: I like Bryan's well thought-out post. Words can help us to a
                      certain extent, but then what matters above all are the realities
                      they represent. Through satipa.t.thaana characteristics of realities
                      can be directly known, without the need to think about them. Take
                      seeing, we all know that seeing sees, but when there can be awareness
                      of its characteristic when it appears, it can be understood as an
                      element, a dhaatu that knows an object, different from ruupa that
                      does not know anything. This is a beginning of understanding, but
                      sure, it takes time to develop.

                    • frank
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 19, 2012
                        Dear Bryan,
                        Thanks very much for the explanation. The strewn flowers gives me a
                        good example of how levels of intensification in the core verb don't
                        necessarily suggest levels of depth in practice.

                        Metta,
                        Frank

                        On 3/18/2012 6:22 AM, Bryan Levman wrote:

                        > Dear Frank,
                        >
                        > To me the words can only be taken as a guide for different
                        > "levels" or intensities of knowing. Nina is quite right in that the
                        > main point of the discourse is understand things as they are, to go
                        > beyond the
                        > conceptual (and it is arguable whether there is such a thing as
                        > "levels" of knowing at all). But this kind of progression
                        > occurs many times in the writings (core verb, then different kinds of
                        > intensifying prefixes), usually I think as a form of intensification: e.g.
                        >
                        > Mahāparnibbāna
                        > sutta (2, 137):
                        > tāni tathāgatassa sarīraṃ okiranti ajjhokiranti abhippakiranti
                        > tathāgatassa pūjāya, describing how the flowers sprinkle
                        > over the Buddha‘s body. okiranti means to "strew" (ava > o-
                        > meaning "down"). abhipakiranti (abhipra-) has the additional sense of
                        > "completely" and ajjho (< Skt. adhyava-) also has the sense
                        > of "down from above." In other words they
                        > all seem to mean the same or something similar, the intensification
                        > coming as
                        > much from the waxing syllable principle (4-5-6) as from the words
                        > themselves.
                        >
                        > As is well known the Buddha did not believe (unlike the tīrthikas) that
                        > language had any innate sense of meaning; words did not come from the
                        > mouth of
                        > Brahma but were arbitrary conventions created by humans. So the words
                        > can take
                        > us only so far,
                        >
                        > Metta, Bryan
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Kumara Bhikkhu
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 18, 2013
                          I know this is an old thread. Just rediscovered
                          it as I was cleaning my mailbox.

                          I wondered about this for a long time, until I
                          found out how the Buddha defined sampajana in SN 47:35:

                          And how, monks, is a monk clearly knowing?
                          Here, monks, a monk’s feelings are known when
                          they arise, known when they remain present and known when they go away;
                          [his] thoughts are known when they arise, known
                          when they remain present and known when they go away;
                          [his] perceptions are known when they arise,
                          known when they remain present and known when they go away.
                          It is in such a way, monks, that a monk is clearly knowing.
                          Monks, a mindful monk should dwell clearly
                          knowing. This is our instruction to you.

                          So, it seems that sampajana refers to being aware
                          of the activities of feelings, thoughts, and
                          perceptions, while engaging in any physical activities.

                          frank wrote thus at 01:03 AM 06-02-12:
                          >Dear Pāḷi friends,
                          >
                          >In MN 119, mindfulness immersed in the body sutta, "walking, standing,
                          >sitting, lying down" is covered twice. Once under the section of
                          >postures with "pajānati", and again in the next section of
                          >"sampajānakārī " .

                          <snip>