samatha·jhaana, vipassanaa·jhaana

  • Kumara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2012
      Dear venerables and friends,

      I have this in a footnote in my essay:
      To be more accurate, the term vipassanaa·jhaana appears in
      the commentaries to a few Khuddaka Nikaaya texts. (Orthodox
      Theravaada considers this term to be the same as what
      Theravaadin commentaries call lakkha.nuupanijjhaana, which
      appears far more often.) So, vipassanaa·jhaana is not a new
      term as some believe, but started no later than the 5th
      century AD. The term samatha·jhaana however cannot be found
      in any traditional Theravaadin text, and I am not able to
      trace who coined it. At any rate, these two terms have been
      made popular in the 20th century by Sayadaw U Pa.n.dita,
      and also used by Shwe Oo Min Sayadaw U Kosalla (according
      to his student Sayadaw U Tejaniya). Since both of them were
      students of Mahasi Sayadaw, samatha·jhaana may have been
      coined by him.

      Would anyone know of anything else about the origin of these 2 terms (perhaps in the Thai and Sri-lankan traditions?

      kb