Re: [Pali] Re: Sutta poll

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2003
      Dear Yong Peng - thank you for zipping and filing this
      for us.

      Dear Piya - I've just looked at this document and it
      is wonderful! Thank you very, very much. What a
      great help this is to all of us learning Pali. Have
      you created more documents like this for other suttas?

      Yong Peng - why don't we make this a model for how we
      work with and document MN 62?

      Metta,
      John

      --- "Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...>"

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2003
        Dear John & friends,

        Thanks for your joy, it is also the hard work and wisdom of so many teachers. My aim
        is to prepare such texts that would be helpful to the beginner especially where
        primary sources are difficult to access.

        They are not perfect at all, as I am constantly upgrading them as new and useful
        materials come in. For example, I've just incorporated Ajahn Brahm's personal account
        of the 16 aspects of the Breath Meditation: this is truly wonderful for the
        practitioner. (My aim is to present, as much as I can, the suttas from the "practice"
        point of view).

        Although the trilinear method is very effective for study, it is very tedious. As
        such, it would be good if some kind person/s could share in this task.

        I have actually completed the interpaginal retranslation (with notes) for the
        Mahasatipatthana Sutta, but has not released it yet since I am now working on the
        Anapanasati Sutta. However, I will email it to out Group if people could work on it
        together.

        Sukhi.

        P.

      • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
          Dear Piya, John and friends,

          Piya has just updated the Anapanasati Sutta, I have uploaded the new
          version to replace the old one:

        • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
            Dear Piya, John and friends,

            the trilinear method is truly an excellent method for sutta study. I
            wonder why it is unheard of before. Did you invent this method, Piya?

            Yes, I would like to use this as a model to work with MN62, it is an
            excellent way of learning.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
              Dear Yong Peng & friends,

              It is a method common amongst students and scholars of the western classics, and even
              Asian classics. I supposed it was preserved behind the boring walls of dusty
              research rooms and libraries. We have found a great purpose for its use now.

              Sukhi.

              P.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
                Yong Peng,

                Incidentally, if you are using the Trilinear (can't think of a better term, I'm sure
                there is) method, which is really labour intensive, it is good to delegate or
                apportion the task for the best results and without burnout. For example, I would
                really love it if some did the Pali texts for me first, and I do not mind doing
                either the English gloss (literal translation), or better, the idiomatic translation.
                But we can rotate such assignments, and edit and comment on each other works to
                improve it.

                Sukh.

                P.