Re: [Pali] Re: Translating by the views of Theravadin commentaries

  • Kumara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 20, 2012
      I can really empathize with that. :-)

      To be fair, even in MLDB, he mentioned in the introduction that including a comment from the commentaries doesn't mean he agrees with it. It's nonetheless more heartening to see in CDB that he is willing to voice his disagreement, sometimes citing concrete evidence from the Suttas.

      Kumara, a disciple of the Buddha

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 31, 2012
        Dear Vens Kumara, Yuttadhammo and friends,

        thank you for the interesting discussion.

        Allow me to add my approach in regards to the translation of Pali suttas:

        1. promote the Buddhist ideals of the middle way, wisdom and compassion
        2. spread the message of loving-kindness, goodwill, equity and peace
        3. accept that the commentaries and subcommentaries were compiled at a different age, under very different social settings, and learn to distinguish its essence
        4. deviations from traditional interpretation has to be based on progressive scientific knowledge, not individual claims of enlightenment or doctrinal authority
        5. understand the impermanence and imperfections of life, and share the values of care, harmony, tolerance and mutual respect
        6. at a deeper philosophical level, there has to be connections with the Buddha's teachings of the four noble truths and dependent origination

        + dismiss and discourage superstitious beliefs in the society
        + establish, not dilute, the distinction between ordained Sangha members (monks and nuns) and ordinary Buddhist followers

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu wrote:

        I'm writing an article on samadhi, proposing some new English translations for some key Pali terms related to samadhi. I wanted to add something that I remember Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi said. It's about his mentor, Ven Nyanaponika advising that in translating the Pali they should go by the views of Theravadin commentaries. I can't find where I've read that now. Anyone has any idea?