Re: [Pali] Translating by the views of Theravadin commentaries

  • Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 15, 2012
      On 01/15/2012 01:00 PM, Peter Tomlinson wrote:
      > yes, except Ven. Nanavira claimed to be Sotapanna, which means the arising of the Dhamma eye, not a matter of commentary, see what I mean? He "saw" Dhamma,

      A true follower of the Buddha should have few desires. He should be
      content with what he has and he should try to lessen his
      defilements. He should have little desire for material possessions
      or attendants. He should not want to speak of his accomplishments in
      the study of scriptures or in the practice of meditation. He should
      keep the depth of his learning or his spiritual attainments to
      himself. A true noble one does not reveal his spiritual insight
      although he wants to share it with other people. It is only the
      religious impostor who calls himself a noble one or an Arahant.

      -- Mahasi Sayadaw, "On the Sallekha Sutta"

      But, if we're keeping score, Buddhaghosa is understood to have been an
      arahant, contrary to what Nyanavira et al have claimed:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhaghosa#Critics
      http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2774&start=20#p39669

      > see what Ajahn Chah says on the score of the commentaries being chicken shit instead of the eggs!
      > Pete Tomlinson
      I believe you are thinking of the story regarding a woman who studied
      the abhidhamma, and when asked whether she practised accordingly, she
      said no. Ajaan Chah replied, quite aptly, “Madam, you are like a woman
      who keeps chickens in her yard and goes around picking up the chicken
      shit instead of the eggs.”

      source:
      http://books.google.lk/books?id=cAJDRQkkTdIC&pg=PT231&lpg=PT231&dq=ajahn+chah+chicken+shit&source=bl&ots=p-IpQkM1yW&sig=e7DesppozJ6GfqtCPtbfN-_cRx8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=H7oST8GWAdDOrQeD5ZmBAg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ajahn%20chah%20chicken%20shit&f=false

      I can't believe such a reverend monk would call the commentaries chicken
      shit, but if you have a quote, I'd be happy to change my mind (about his
      reverence, of course :P )

      Also, the Thai word is kii kai, which just means chicken droppings and
      has none of the bad connotations of the word "shit" in the English
      language; it seems that his students have been using the word for shock
      value, none of which is obtained in the original Thai.

      Blessings,

      Yuttadhammo

      > ________________________________

    • Kumara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 15, 2012
        Dear Lennart and others,

        To me, both approaches has its value. Even going purely by Theravadin commentaries has its value. It depends on what we're seeking. If we want to understand Theravada, then it makes perfect sense to go by the Pali commentaries, which defines Theravada. If we want to understand early Buddhist teachings, and is concerned that our view might be distorted by sectarian views, than it makes perfect sense to avoid the commentaries of any tradition.

        I know of someone who was new to Buddhism and wanted to study Buddhism in a university. His professor insisted that he study the Suttas ONLY. No commentaries, no modern treaties, no general books on Buddhism. Just the Nikayas in Pali. (I'm not sure if that included the later books of Khuddaka.) He told he was very grateful for that, and I can see why.

        Having been through years of learning traditional Theravada, I sometimes get confused what's actually from the Suttas and what not. It has taken years to slowly sift the "Buddhism" in my memory. The need to be alert to check what is from actually where seems to have faded off as I've gotten to a clearer picture that gels well my practice in the Dhamma. But no regrets. I had to start somewhere. Besides, it's been a pretty fun process with my teacher, Ven Aggacitta. Having earlier spent 7 years living alone to study the Tipitaka and the Commentaries, he seemed to have a harder time than me sometimes, but his truth-seeking attitude won eventually.

        Btw, wouldn't it be a good idea that we all be conscious of our state of mind as we write our emails? As my meditation teacher Sayadaw U Tejaniya once advised me, "Kumara, when the mind has anger, it's better not to speak. Otherwise, what we say will be unwise."

        kb

        Lennart Lopin wrote thus at 21:58 14/01/2012:

        >Ven. Katukurunde Nyanananda's (Concept and Reality, Magic of the mind, Nibbana sermons) approach in this regard is also quite interesting. With a deep respect towards the commentarial tradition he still has no problem of pointing out when it is in conflict with the Dhamma & Vinaya and would explain by quoting the relevant passages.
        >
        >Karl Eugen Neumann translated ignoring the commentaries and felt that they did not help in understanding the suttas, especially when it came to the deeper implications of the suttas. A very interesting read on this topic is his introduction to his "Buddhistische Anthologie" and "Majjhimanikayo".
        >
        >Metta,
        >Lennart
        >
        >On Jan 14, 2012, at 8:40 AM, Noah Yuttadhammo <yuttadhammo@...> wrote:
        >
        >> What if Nyanavira got it wrong? we're all commentators, after all...
        >> whatever works, I say.
        >> On Jan 14, 2012 3:29 PM, "Peter Tomlinson" <gnanayasa@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> > Well, that's the crux of the issue for some of us and for Nanavira Thera,
        >> > see Notes on Dhamma if you wish a full exegesis on that score
        >> > Pete Tomlinson
        >> >

        >> > ________________________________

      • Kumara Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 15, 2012
          Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of his stand when producing MLDB. He seems to have change a great deal when producing CBD. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him even more open in this translation of AN. FYI, I was told by a close devotee of his that he is now very keen in comparative studies of the Pali Nikayas and Chinese Agamas. That's something that's actively been done by Ven Analayo. It's good to see that such brilliant scholars are doing this work of going closer to what the Buddha taught.

          Someone wrote thus at 09:34 16/01/2012:
          >There is some information in the Bhikhu Bodhi's Preface to his MN translation.
          >Pages 16-17.
        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 16, 2012
            I don't doubt that there's some good stuff in there. I too refer to them sometimes, but not before I read the early text closely first. I try not to view the Suttas through the lens of any commentary, Theravadin or otherwise, lest the view is coloured by them.

            The reason why the older commentaries are now "lost", is that (as I've learnt from my teacher) they were burnt after the Atthakathas (as we now know) have been composed. Texts of other sects in Ceylon (Jetavana and Abhayagiri) met with the same fate.

            kb

          • Mahinda Palihawadana
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 19, 2012
              It's very encouraging to hear this about Bhiikhu Bodhi. I was always a bit
              disappointed with the excessive reliance on commentaries that we can see in
              the work of Bhikkhus Nyanatiloka, Nanaponika and Bodhi.

              Mahinda

            • Kumara Bhikkhu
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 20, 2012
                I can really empathize with that. :-)

                To be fair, even in MLDB, he mentioned in the introduction that including a comment from the commentaries doesn't mean he agrees with it. It's nonetheless more heartening to see in CDB that he is willing to voice his disagreement, sometimes citing concrete evidence from the Suttas.

                Kumara, a disciple of the Buddha

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 20, 2012
                  Venerable Bhikkhu Kumara and dear Mahinda,
                  Op 20-jan-2012, om 7:02 heeft Mahinda Palihawadana het volgende
                  geschreven:

                  > It's very encouraging to hear this about Bhiikhu Bodhi. I was
                  > always a bit
                  > disappointed with the excessive reliance on commentaries that we
                  > can see in
                  > the work of Bhikkhus Nyanatiloka, Nanaponika and Bodhi.

                  ---------
                  N: Let us say it depends on the reader what benefit he finds in the
                  commentaries. Any teaching that can help me to understand the true
                  characteristics of realities I find beneficial. Certainly, the
                  commentaries are most helpful for me and they are in complete
                  accordance with the Tipi.taka. What do they emphasize: develop
                  understanding of the present reality so that there will be detachment
                  from the idea of self.
                  Quoting something I wrote before:

                  At the very beginning of the Visuddhimagga (Ch I, 1) we read:
                  �When a wise man, established well in Virtue,
                  Develops Consciousness and Understanding,
                  Then as a bhikkhu ardent and sagacious
                  He succeeds in disentangling this tangle (S I, 13)�
                  It is said that tangle is a term for the network of craving.

                  The final verse of this section of the Vis. is an exhortation to the
                  development of sati sampaja~n~na: : 'Let a wise man (pa.n.dito) with
                  mindfulness, so practise...' . The text states: 'always mindful,
                  sadaa sato'.
                  Without awareness and understanding of the dhamma appearing now one
                  will not understand the Dependent Origination and not disentangle the
                  triple round, the tangle of ignorance and craving.

                  The Sammohavinodanii, Dispeller of Delusion, also deals with the
                  Dependent Origination in a similar wording and it gives at the end of
                  the Abhidhamma Division (p. 262) an exhortation to develop the way
                  leading out of the cycle:
                  <[Therefore] in accordance with the Order
                  Consisting of Competency-Learning-Reflection-Practice
                  The wise act always in regard thereto
                  for there is nothing other than that which more needs to be done.>
                  As we read in the subco. to the mahaanidaanasutta as to the first two
                  stages of tender insight, these <do not come about by the mere first
                  interpretation of phenomena, but by the recurrent arising of
                  knowledge about them called � repeated understanding�.>
                  This reminds us to persevere with the development of understanding of
                  all dhammas appearing in our daily life. There is nothing other than

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 21, 2012
                    Dear venerable Bhikkhu Kumara and all,
                    Thank you for your well thought out post. I shall add a few remarks.
                    Op 16-jan-2012, om 4:32 heeft Kumara Bhikkhu het volgende geschreven:

                    > To me, both approaches has its value. Even going purely by
                    > Theravadin commentaries has its value. It depends on what we're
                    > seeking.

                    -------
                    N: I have heard people say that commentaries confuse the teachings as
                    it is taught in the Tipi.taka. I understand this, because sometimes
                    they are heavy reading. This may be partly because of the translation
                    into English, it can be heavy reading. Also the similes used at that
                    time may not appeal to us today. The Dhamma is deep and hard to
                    understand and the sutta may seem so clear at first sight, but we are
                    bound to miss the deep teaching contained in it and then the
                    commentary brings out points we had not noticed before. Sometimes it
                    helps to return to a text that did not seem clear at first and
                    suddenly we may get it. We need patience.

                    > ---------
                    > Bhikkhu K: Btw, wouldn't it be a good idea that we all be conscious
                    > of our state of mind as we write our emails? As my meditation
                    > teacher Sayadaw U Tejaniya once advised me, "Kumara, when the mind
                    > has anger, it's better not to speak. Otherwise, what we say will be
                    > unwise."

                    --------
                    N: How very true. What are the cittas like at this moment, can there
                    be awareness of naama and ruupa just as the Buddha taught?
                    Satipa.t.thaana can be developed during whatever activity, writing,
                    studying, speaking.
                    I am very grateful to the commentaries for clarifying the development
                    of insight and the understanding of the present moment.

                    Visuddhimagga Ch VIII 39: Life, person, pleasure pain--just these
                    alone join in one
                    consciousness moment that flicks by. Ceased aggregates of those dead or
                    alive are all alike, gone never to return. No [world is] born if
                    [consciousness is] not produced; when that is present, then it lives;
                    when consciousness dissolves, the world is dead: the highest sense this
                    concept will allow. (Nd1 42)

                    ---------
                    Commentary:
                    The words "just these alone" mean that
                    it is unmixed with self (atta) or permanence.
                    "When consciousness dissolves, the world is dead": just as in the case
                    of the death-consciousness, this world is also called "dead" in the
                    highest (ultimate) sense with the arrival of any consciousness whatever
                    at its dissolution, since its cessation has no rebirth-linking (is
                    "cessation never to return"). Nevertheless though this is so, "the
                    highest sense this concept will allow (pa~n~natti paramatthiyaa) --the
                    ultimate sense will allow this concept of continuity, which is what the
                    expression of common usage "Tissa lives, Phussa lives" refers to, and
                    which is based on consciousness [momentarily] existing along with a
                    physical support; this belongs to the ultimate sense here, since, as
                    they say "It is not the name and surname that lives."...

                    -------

                    N: When we suffer from a loss of dear people it is good to remember
                    this. Life is only one moment of experiencing an object. Life,
                    pleasure, pain, all in one moment. It is very temporary but we make
                    it into long stories we are thinking about. The shortness of the
                    moment, we find it all in the suttas, but we are bound to overlook
                    such passages, or we do not realize that they all pertain to life at
                    this moment. The Buddha spoke about seeing time and again and then
                    about being infatuated with the outer appearance and the details of
                    things. We do not know seeing as only the experience of what is
                    visible, and we immediately are engaged with thinking about what is
                    seen, usually with akusala cittas. It is all because of conditions
                    but it is good to know. The Abhidhamma and the commentaries are of
                    great help to disentangle our life.

                    --------

                    with respect,

                  • Noah Yuttadhammo
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 21, 2012
                      The only problem is that one's own view will always colour the text; that's
                      what the commentaries are designed to dispel - whether you agree with their
                      interpetation or not, it is a valid interpretation, and one that has lead
                      to a more or less harmonious understanding of the texts among Theravada
                      Buddhists.

                      I read an article recently about a monastic dating service in Japan, and it
                      made me wonder if the relative cohesion found in Theravada Buddhism can be
                      attributed at least in part to the homogenous interpretation of the
                      Buddha's teaching.

                      Another story is of Ajaan Mun, who is claimed to remember the time of the
                      Buddha and talked to the Buddha to find out the right interpretation. My
                      understanding is that to this day his followers adhere to his
                      interpretation as the Buddha's way even when it is not supported by the
                      texts.

                      Even an Arahant can make mistakes about the dhamma, at least that which is
                      outside the realm of their own practice. Hearing modern teachers decry the
                      commentarial interpretation based solely on the fact that it doesn't accord
                      with their own limited (relative to to the vastness of the Buddha's)
                      experience is a bit disappointing, especially in cases where the commentary
                      offers multiple interpretations, only some of which are found acceptable.
                      I'm thinking of the great Jhana debate, for example.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 31, 2012
                        Dear Vens Kumara, Yuttadhammo and friends,

                        thank you for the interesting discussion.

                        Allow me to add my approach in regards to the translation of Pali suttas:

                        1. promote the Buddhist ideals of the middle way, wisdom and compassion
                        2. spread the message of loving-kindness, goodwill, equity and peace
                        3. accept that the commentaries and subcommentaries were compiled at a different age, under very different social settings, and learn to distinguish its essence
                        4. deviations from traditional interpretation has to be based on progressive scientific knowledge, not individual claims of enlightenment or doctrinal authority
                        5. understand the impermanence and imperfections of life, and share the values of care, harmony, tolerance and mutual respect
                        6. at a deeper philosophical level, there has to be connections with the Buddha's teachings of the four noble truths and dependent origination

                        + dismiss and discourage superstitious beliefs in the society
                        + establish, not dilute, the distinction between ordained Sangha members (monks and nuns) and ordinary Buddhist followers

                        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Kumara Bhikkhu wrote:

                        I'm writing an article on samadhi, proposing some new English translations for some key Pali terms related to samadhi. I wanted to add something that I remember Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi said. It's about his mentor, Ven Nyanaponika advising that in translating the Pali they should go by the views of Theravadin commentaries. I can't find where I've read that now. Anyone has any idea?