Re: Sutta poll

  • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2003
      Dear Piya and friends,

      the original file was larger than Yahoo!'s file size limit of 1M, so
      I have zipped it and made it available as a zip file in the Files
      section:

      --- Piya Tan wrote:
      Enclosed are draft page 18-19 (PDF) of the trilinear edition of the
      Anapanasati Sutta I have retranslated for use in the Pali Without
      Grammar Module 3 for your perusal and feedback.
    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2003
        Dear Yong Peng - thank you for zipping and filing this
        for us.

        Dear Piya - I've just looked at this document and it
        is wonderful! Thank you very, very much. What a
        great help this is to all of us learning Pali. Have
        you created more documents like this for other suttas?

        Yong Peng - why don't we make this a model for how we
        work with and document MN 62?

        Metta,
        John

        --- "Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...>"

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2003
          Dear John & friends,

          Thanks for your joy, it is also the hard work and wisdom of so many teachers. My aim
          is to prepare such texts that would be helpful to the beginner especially where
          primary sources are difficult to access.

          They are not perfect at all, as I am constantly upgrading them as new and useful
          materials come in. For example, I've just incorporated Ajahn Brahm's personal account
          of the 16 aspects of the Breath Meditation: this is truly wonderful for the
          practitioner. (My aim is to present, as much as I can, the suttas from the "practice"
          point of view).

          Although the trilinear method is very effective for study, it is very tedious. As
          such, it would be good if some kind person/s could share in this task.

          I have actually completed the interpaginal retranslation (with notes) for the
          Mahasatipatthana Sutta, but has not released it yet since I am now working on the
          Anapanasati Sutta. However, I will email it to out Group if people could work on it
          together.

          Sukhi.

          P.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
            Dear Piya, John and friends,

            Piya has just updated the Anapanasati Sutta, I have uploaded the new
            version to replace the old one:

          • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
              Dear Piya, John and friends,

              the trilinear method is truly an excellent method for sutta study. I
              wonder why it is unheard of before. Did you invent this method, Piya?

              Yes, I would like to use this as a model to work with MN62, it is an
              excellent way of learning.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
                Dear Yong Peng & friends,

                It is a method common amongst students and scholars of the western classics, and even
                Asian classics. I supposed it was preserved behind the boring walls of dusty
                research rooms and libraries. We have found a great purpose for its use now.

                Sukhi.

                P.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
                  Yong Peng,

                  Incidentally, if you are using the Trilinear (can't think of a better term, I'm sure
                  there is) method, which is really labour intensive, it is good to delegate or
                  apportion the task for the best results and without burnout. For example, I would
                  really love it if some did the Pali texts for me first, and I do not mind doing
                  either the English gloss (literal translation), or better, the idiomatic translation.
                  But we can rotate such assignments, and edit and comment on each other works to
                  improve it.

                  Sukh.

                  P.