Re: [Pali] Re: pahitatto

  • Tomoyuki Kono
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 17, 2011
      Dear Bryan,

      The ending takes the standard -a stem ending (as opposed to the -an stem ending) because pahitatto is a bahubbiihi compound, which qualifies the subject bhikkhu.

      Yours,
      Tomo

      On 17 Dec 2011, at 13:29, Bryan Levman wrote:

      > Dear Friends,
      >
      > The phrase pahitatto occurs dozens of times in the Pāli writings, often in this context below, describing how a practitioner attains Arahantship:
      >

      > eeko vuupaka.t.tho appamatto aataapii pahitatto viharanto... (alone, secluded, diligent, zealous, of resolute will, ... the monk attains the goal (e. g. Mahāsīhanādasutta, DN 1, 177).
      >
      > where it is usually translated as "of resolute will." All the translations seem to agree that pahita-atto is nom. sing. of attan, self, with pahita meaning "resolute." However, the usual nominative singular of attan is attaa, not atto.
      >
      > Geiger (section 92) says that attan (like raajan) can be used in the -a declension, but he gives no examples in the nom. sing ending in -o. Is anyone familiar with this form of atto in the nom. sing. in other contexts? Are we correct in taking this as the nom. sing of attan, or is it the nom. sing. of atta ("taken up," "undertaken," "begun"), which however, doesn't appear to make a lot of sense in this context?
      >
      > Thanks for your help,
      >
      > Metta,
      >
      > Bryan

    • Yuttadhammo
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 25, 2011
        Dear Frank,

        Thanks for the report; saving as html is a useful thing, I think; the
        export feature is nice for copy and paste, though.

        I made a mistake telling it that a colon ":" was an illegal filename
        character; on Windows, drive letters are followed by colon, hence the
        illegal flag. Should work in 2.4.6, which I've just uploaded.

        Best wishes,

        Yuttadhammo