Re: [Pali] Re: Jātaka, and low eyestrain e-i nk readers

  • frank
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
      Dear Bryan and all,
      I looked at those links, there are digital versions there you can
      download, including Epub and mobi! Very cool. That means you can read it
      with low eyestrain on a kindle, nook, etc. You can also get free ebook
      readers for your pc that will read those two formats.
      I got a "kindle touch" this month for 99$. Works very well.
      Visudhimagga (.mobi version) works GREAT on there. The swipe up and
      swipe down on the touch screen advances up and down through chapters,
      and the hyperlinks in the table of contents work. Also, I didn't
      register my kindle touch with amazon, and I leave the wireless features
      turned off, so I don't get bombarded with annoying advertisements.
      I highly recommend everyone take a serious look at the e-readers
      (using e-ink) out there now that they're below 100$, especially kindle
      touch and nook touch. The e-ink works just like a printed book. You can
      read it in full sunlight, low eye-strain, unlike computer screens that
      have flourescent back lights, which makes your vision go fuzzy and get
      slight headaches after a few hours of staring at it. I'm pretty sure
      there's people on this list who do a lot of reading, and if hours of it
      are spent reading on a computer screen, you're going to be much happier
      if you can read it on an ebook reader using e-ink instead. Note that the
      color ebook readers such as the "kindle fire" are not e-ink readers,
      they are flourescent or LED backlight just like other tablet computers
      or pc screens, and thus would not have the advantage of low eyestrain
      e-ink such as the monochrome grayscale "kindle touch", "nook touch",
      etc. I also don't recommend the entry level "kindle" for 79$ which does
      NOT have a touch screen. The button and 4 way cursor is incredibly
      tedious to use. Newer ebooks published, and especially dhamma material
      in ebook format will take full advantage of hyperlinks and you want to
      be able to just touch the hyperlink on screen and go there, not navigate
      with a four way button cursor. The 20$ savings between "kindle touch"
      and entry level kindle is not worth it.

      -Frank

      On 12/15/2011 3:40 AM, Bryan Levman wrote:

      > Dear Piya,
      >
      > You mean the English version by Burlingame, I assume? (I believe the
      > Pali is all on the Digital Pali Reader).
      >
      > I use this link for volume 2:
      >
      > http://books2.scholarsportal.info/viewdoc.html?id=/ebooks/oca1/15/buddhistlegends02burluoft
      >
      > at the University of Toronto; I don't believe you can download it, but
      > you can read it on line
      >
      > The link for volume 3 is:
      >
      > http://books1.scholarsportal.info/viewdoc.html?id=/ebooks/oca1/15/buddhistlegends03burluoft
      >
      > Hopefully that works for you. If anyone has a PDF version of
      > Burlingame, please let the group know,
      >
      > Metta,
      >
      > Bryan
      >
      > ________________________________

    • Yuttadhammo
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 16, 2011
        Aren't the PTS Pali texts still copyrighted?

      • Bryan Levman
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 18, 2011
          Dear Frank,

          Thanks for your description of the Kindle Touch; it sounds well worth the price!

          Metta, Bryan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 18, 2011
            Dear Pali friends,

            I made a mobi version of [DN 2], so you can see why I'm excited about
            touch screens and dhamma reference material converted into useful ebook
            formats that are easily navigable.

            https://sites.google.com/site/frankkpublic/dn02

            -Frank

            On 12/18/2011 4:46 AM, Bryan Levman wrote:

            > Dear Frank,
            >
            > Thanks for your description of the Kindle Touch; it sounds well worth
            > the price!
            >
            > Metta, Bryan
            >
            > ________________________________

          • stefan_karpik
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
              Dear Bryan, Frank and others interested in e-readers,

              These posts made me think about upgrading my Kindle 3 to a Kindle Touch,
              but I think I would still have the same problems after an upgrade:

              1. Neither reads ePub documents. This means the offerings of
              Theravada Tripitaka Press can't be read on Kindle.

              2. PDFs often cannot be enlarged sufficiently to read them.
              3. PDFs can be converted into Kindle format by Amazon quite
              efficiently and for free, but diacritics, even in a Unicode font like
              Times Roman Extended, come out as gobbledegook and tables are jumbled
              up.
              4. PDFs of scans cannot be converted to Kindle format

              5. New fonts to handle diacritics cannot be introduced.

              Is this true for the Kindle Touch?

              Does anyone have a very positive experience of reading Pali on e-ink
              readers?

              I completely agree that e-ink is much easier on the eyes than a
              computer/ tablet/ smartphone screen.

              Best wishes,

              Stefan Karpik

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 25, 2011
                Dear Stefan,
                I see your email shows a date of 12/19, today your post made it out
                to the list (12/25). I think some of your questions may already be
                answered during that time, but here are some more thoughts to consider.

                On my kindle touch and the model just before the touch came out
                (wireless, no 3g, + special spammy offers from amazon and partners), I
                was able to view pali diacritics on unicode just fine, including the
                tipitaka press epubs which were converted into .mobi with the free
                program calibre.

                As far as pali unicode surviving from PDF to mobi conversion from
                calibre or amazon's free conversion service, I've had mixed results.
                Calibre seems to be able to pull out scan of pictures from pdf files. I
                always assumed that the pDF->mobi conversions that worked were because
                the PDF's were authored with a standard unicode font, and the ones that
                didn't work were a special pali font. To test out my theory, I used open
                office (a free equivalent of microsoft word), and typed this microsoft
                word document, using default Times New roman:
                Pāḷi unicode test ā ī ū ṭṭṭ

                If i export it to html, it reads fine as a webpage.
                I exported it to a PDF file.
                Then I used calibre to convert it from PDF to .mobi.
                I put that mobi on my kindle touch.

                It works fine.
                It took me 5 minutes to do that.

                I highly encourage Piya with his Sutta Discovery series and others to
                use standard unicode pali, so your electronic publications can be
                effortlessly ported to various devices.

                Metta,
                Frank

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 25, 2011
                  Dear Frank,

                  I highly encourage Piya with his Sutta Discovery series and others to
                  > use standard unicode pali, so your electronic publications can be
                  > effortlessly ported to various devices.
                  >
                  > What about security? If we use Unicode and the file is converted into
                  .mobi etc, can the file be altered by others as in MS Word?

                  With metta,

                  Piya

                  #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
                  Singapore 588179

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 25, 2011
                    Dear Piya,
                    As an experiment, I tried the program Calibre to convert your "M16
                    ceto khila" sutta discovery issue into a .mobi file. The diacritics all
                    came through when viewing on my kindle. So if you're not using unicode
                    already, then Calibre is pretty smart about substituting a working
                    font. It would take very little extra work on your part to make your
                    sutta discovery issues into a very navigable .mobi or .epub format. I
                    believe if you do something simple like have a unique keyword such as
                    "chapter" heading every section, then calibre will automatically detect
                    those headers and build a table of contents. And if you formatted those
                    chapter headers with "heading 1" on a kindle you should be able to flip
                    through chapters quickly with a "swipe up" or "swipe down' motion. If
                    one doesn't have a kindle touch, then the "left" and "right" buttons on
                    the 4 directional button should accomplish teh same feat without having
                    to pull up a table of contents page. The hyperlinks for the footnotes
                    however, did not survive. But I do know if you're starting with a
                    microsoft .doc file, export an html file, then use calibre to convert
                    that html file instead of how I converted from the pdf, then the
                    hyperlinks for your footnotes will survive. And if you are using
                    "heading1" formatting on any of your headers, you don't even need to use
                    the "chapter" keyword, then calibre will build the table of contents
                    automatically and the kindle will navigate with the chapter buttons/swipes.

                    So at least for that sutta M16, it looks like you're already using a
                    unicode font on most of the text since most of the diacritics survived
                    the conversion via calibre. To double check, I used a standard PC pdf
                    viewer, copying a large block of text from that pdf file, dropped it
                    into a plain text editor to remove all special formatting, and the pali
                    diacritics survived. So either some of your sutta discovery issues
                    already work, or amazon's free PDF conversion service can't handle
                    standard unicode pali. I'll try out a few more of your sutta discovery
                    issues over the next couple of weeks and let you know.

                    As far as encoding and security on PDF vs. mobi and epub, I don't
                    know anything about it. It sounds like you're asking about something
                    different than digital rights management, which commercial book
                    publishers put on their ebooks.

                    Metta,
                    -Frank

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 26, 2011
                      Dear Friends,

                      In case it is interesting, here's an example html output file from the
                      DPR (SN 1):

                      http://static.sirimangalo.org/sn1.zip

                      and here's the same file converted into an epub using calibre, tweaking
                      the conversion settings to detect chapters for every <h2> tag (i.e.
                      every samyutta):

                      http://static.sirimangalo.org/sn1.epub.zip

                      Best wishes,

                      Yuttadhammo
                    • stefan_karpik
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 28, 2011
                        Dear Frank,

                        My problems with diacritics on the Kindle were caused by the Amazon conversion process - Amazon have confirmed to me that they can't convert diacritics.
                        I've started to use Calibre It converts far better than Amazon's service and diacritics are coming out fine from .doc files and variably from pdfs. Calibre looks as if it will solve the ePub problem and make an HTML document useful to me.
                        Thanks so much to you and the group for pointing me this way.

                        Stefan