Pali studies in Asia

  • Justin
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2011

      I have a request.

      A friend contacted me about studying Pali academically in Thailand or Sri Lanka. And I'm interested in it as well. In my case as a post-doc or fellow of some sort, in his as an MA or certificate program. What is your assessment of academia over there, in general or if you can name schools as better/worse, that would be fantastic. My goal is simply to get as many perspectives on Pali studies there (and Sri Lanka and India and even Burma) as possible. So feel free to pass my request and contact info: Buddhistethics@... on to anyone that might also help.

      With gratitude,

      Justin Whitaker
    • Oleksandr Demchenko
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2011
        Dear Justin,

        This list must be close to exhaustive for English-medium programmes.

        SRI LANKA

        University of Peradeniya (near Kandy):
        http://www.arts.pdn.ac.lk/pali/

        University of Kelaniya (near Colombo):
        Department:
        http://www.kln.ac.lk/humanities/department/pali_buddhist/
        Institute:
        http://www.kln.ac.lk/institutes/pgipbs/index.html

        These two Sri Lankan Universities are quite conservative and
        bureaucratic; teaching faculty is good. Without BA in Buddhist studies
        or Pali they admit for their certificate or diploma programmes, that
        last one or several years. To be admitted for MA you need to finish
        one of these programmes first. Quite often they do not reply to
        e-mails sent to their official addresses, so writing (or calling)
        professors personally is a better option.

        Sri Lanka International Buddhist Academy (near Kandy) is more modern,
        less bureaucratic and more welcoming for international students,
        although less reliable in some aspects. They have Pali certificate
        programme and MA programme, which commences next month (and they are
        still recruiting students):
        http://www.mcu.ac.th/En/major/major_index.php

        Buddhist and Pali University of Sri Lanka - I don't know much about this place:
        http://www.bpu.ac.lk/

        THAILAND

        Maha-Chulalongkorn-raja-vidyalaya University (Thailand's biggest
        Buddhist University) offers an international MA programme:
        http://www.mcu.ac.th/En/major/major_index.php

        PhD programme in Buddhist Studies of Mahidol University offers
        intensive one-month courses in Pali and other Buddhist languages,
        which may be attended by outsiders (you need to write and ask them for
        the dates of the course):
        http://www.sh.mahidol.ac.th/bodhi/

        I am not sure about this one, but Pali must be also taught at
        International Buddhist College at Hat Yai, Southern Thailand:
        http://ibc.ac.th/en/

        MYANMAR

        International Theravada Buddhist Missionary University is the only
        place in Myanmar:
        http://www.itbmu.org.mm/default.aspx
        According to a comment from a student, education process was poorly
        organized there.

        You may also find some Pali courses in India (U of Delhi,
        particularly), Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan.

        On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Justin <buddhistethics@...> wrote:
        > Dear friends,
        >
        > I have a request.
        >
        > A friend contacted me about studying Pali academically in Thailand or Sri Lanka. And I'm interested in it as well. In my case as a post-doc or fellow of some sort, in his as an MA or certificate program. What is your assessment of academia over there, in general or if you can name schools as better/worse, that would be fantastic. My goal is simply to get as many perspectives on Pali studies there (and Sri Lanka and India and even Burma) as possible. So feel free to pass my request and contact info: Buddhistethics@... on to anyone that might also help.
        >
        > With gratitude,
        >
        > Justin Whitaker

        With best regards,
        Oleksandr
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2011
          Dear Justin.
          Op 10-dec-2011, om 11:36 heeft Justin het volgende geschreven:

          > A friend contacted me about studying Pali academically in Thailand
          > or Sri Lanka. And I'm interested in it as well. In my case as a
          > post-doc or fellow of some sort, in his as an MA or certificate
          > program. What is your assessment of academia over there, in general
          > or if you can name schools as better/worse, that would be
          > fantastic. My goal is simply to get as many perspectives on Pali
          > studies there (and Sri Lanka and India and even Burma) as possible.
          > So feel free to pass my request and contact info:
          > Buddhistethics@... on to anyone that might also help.

          -------
          N: Your contacts will be limited with English only. You would have to
          learn language, script and also the way Pali is written in the
          different scripts. Florent in Myanmar helped our list with the
          English Pali exercises for a long time and said that his Pali teacher
          can solve quickly any dilemma in texts. You can find Florent in the
          files section. If interested in his Email, I can give it off line.