Re: [Pali] Re: Question on mu.n.da

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 10, 2011
      Dear Nina, Ven. Yuttadhammo and All,

      Yes, one of the "original" meanings of mu.n.da is "shaven" so, "cut" would be consistent, although I'm not sure how a cut spoke can produce the sounds described.

      Another "mu.n.da" conundrum is found in the Abhisamacarika-Dharma (101, 2) of the Mahasamghika sect in Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit:

      mu.n.davaataayane paatramsthavitam. tandaani vaatama.n.dalikaaye aagacchiyaa.na.m bhuumiyampatitobhinno

      which vonHinuber translates as

      “The almsbowl is to be placed in a not closable (muṇḍa?) window, for when a wind has arisen, it falls to the ground
      broken. (Von Hinüber, O. 1992. "SprachentwicklungundKulturgeschichte, EingBeitragzurmateriellenKulturdesbuddhistischenKlosterlebes." AkademiederWissenschaftenundderLiteratur, AbhandlungedderGeistesundSozialwissenschaftlichenKlasseJahrgang 1992, Nr. 6, 45)

      The word might mean "bare" here in the sense of a window with no covering. Does anyone have any suggestions?

      Another perlexing case is the commentary to the Sekhasuttaṃ MN 1, 354f) where the Sakyans prepare a new assembly hall for the Buddha with "prepared seats" for which the commentary is:

      ...bhikkhusa"nghassapalla"nkapii.thaa-passayapii.tha-mu.n.dapii.thaani pa~n~naapetvaa... "for the BhikkhuSangha, they prepared cross-legged seats, seats with a cushion, and mu.n.da (bare, unadorned?) seats...."

      This might make sense; however in the next phrase the commentary talks about placing "ha.msalomaadipuuritaani" pillows filed with swan's down , so I'm not sure. The whole passage reads,

      pacchimabhitti.m nissaaya bhikkhusa"nghassa palla"nkapii.tha-apassayapii.tha-mu.n.dapii.thaani pa~n~naapetvaa upari setapaccatthara.nehi paccattharaapetvaa paaciinabhitti.m nissaaya attano attano mahaapi.t.thikakojavake pa~n~naapetvaa ha.msalomaadipuuritaani upadhaanaani .thapaapesu.m

      which I tentatively translate as "near the western wall they prepared these (three types of seats for the bhikkhu Sangha) above which they spread out a white canopy and near the eastern wall they prepared for each of themselves  high-backed  kojavake (? armour-wolf?) seats, and caused pillows filled with swan's down to be placed."

      Does anyone know what a mahaapi.t.thika-kojavake seat is? And were the pillows placed just on those seats or also on the bhikkhus' seats (in which case mu.n.dapii.thaani can't mean "empty or unadorned seats")?

      Metta,

      Bryan