Re: Jātaka

  • Bryan Levman
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
      Dear Friends,

      Does anyone know if the seven  Fausboll Jātaka volumes are available on line with the prose and commentary? Most of the canons that I have consulted seems to only have the Jātaka verses. Thanks for your help,

      Metta, Bryan

    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2011
        Dear Bryan,

        I found volume 3 online on archive.org:

        http://www.archive.org/stream/jtakatogetherwi01andegoog#page/n5/mode/2up

        metta,
        Lennart

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 14, 2011
          Dharma Friends,

          I have Dhammapadatthakatha (Dh Commentary in Pali) vol 1. Does anyone have
          the rest or know where i can download them?

          With metta,

          Piya

          On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Dear Friends,
          >
          > Does anyone know if the seven Fausboll Jātaka volumes are available on
          > line with the prose and commentary? Most of the canons that I have
          > consulted seems to only have the Jātaka verses. Thanks for your help,
          >
          > Metta, Bryan

          *hp (65) 8211 0879*

          *The Minding Centre*
          170 Upper Bukit Timah Road
          #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
          Singapore 588179

          Sutta translation: http://dharmafarer.org

        • Bryan Levman
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
            Dear Piya,

            You mean the English version by Burlingame, I assume? (I believe the Pali is all on the Digital Pali Reader).

            I use this link for volume 2:

            http://books2.scholarsportal.info/viewdoc.html?id=/ebooks/oca1/15/buddhistlegends02burluoft

            at the University of Toronto; I don't believe you can download it, but you can read it on line

            The link for volume 3 is:

            http://books1.scholarsportal.info/viewdoc.html?id=/ebooks/oca1/15/buddhistlegends03burluoft

            Hopefully that works for you. If anyone has a PDF version of Burlingame, please let the group know,

            Metta,

            Bryan

            ________________________________
            I have Dhammapadatthakatha (Dh Commentary in Pali) vol 1. Does anyone have
            the rest or know where i can download them?

            With metta,

            Piya

            On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Dear Friends,
            >
            > Does anyone know if the seven Fausboll Jātaka volumes are available on
            > line with the prose and commentary? Most of the canons that I have
            > consulted seems to only have the Jātaka verses. Thanks for your help,
            >
            > Metta, Bryan

            *hp (65) 8211 0879*

            *The Minding Centre*
            170 Upper Bukit Timah Road
            #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
            Singapore 588179

            Sutta translation: http://dharmafarer.org

          • Yuttadhammo
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
              The English translations are all on this page:

              http://static.sirimangalo.org/pdf/

              There's a ton of stuff on that page, I haven't downloaded it all to
              verify... it actually comes mostly from another online source. Two
              versions are there, I think the full one is called "Buddhist Legends" in
              three volumes.

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
                Dear Bryan,

                I have Burlingame's "Buddhist Legend" 3-vol set of the Univ of Toroonto
                digitized by Microsoft.

                I'm looking for the digitized version of the PTS Pali Atthakatha (if they
                are available). These are usually done either by Microsoft or Google. I
                have vol 1, but not the rest.

                With metta,

                Piya

                #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
                Singapore 588179

                Sutta translation: http://dharmafarer.org

              • frank
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
                  Dear Bryan and all,
                  I looked at those links, there are digital versions there you can
                  download, including Epub and mobi! Very cool. That means you can read it
                  with low eyestrain on a kindle, nook, etc. You can also get free ebook
                  readers for your pc that will read those two formats.
                  I got a "kindle touch" this month for 99$. Works very well.
                  Visudhimagga (.mobi version) works GREAT on there. The swipe up and
                  swipe down on the touch screen advances up and down through chapters,
                  and the hyperlinks in the table of contents work. Also, I didn't
                  register my kindle touch with amazon, and I leave the wireless features
                  turned off, so I don't get bombarded with annoying advertisements.
                  I highly recommend everyone take a serious look at the e-readers
                  (using e-ink) out there now that they're below 100$, especially kindle
                  touch and nook touch. The e-ink works just like a printed book. You can
                  read it in full sunlight, low eye-strain, unlike computer screens that
                  have flourescent back lights, which makes your vision go fuzzy and get
                  slight headaches after a few hours of staring at it. I'm pretty sure
                  there's people on this list who do a lot of reading, and if hours of it
                  are spent reading on a computer screen, you're going to be much happier
                  if you can read it on an ebook reader using e-ink instead. Note that the
                  color ebook readers such as the "kindle fire" are not e-ink readers,
                  they are flourescent or LED backlight just like other tablet computers
                  or pc screens, and thus would not have the advantage of low eyestrain
                  e-ink such as the monochrome grayscale "kindle touch", "nook touch",
                  etc. I also don't recommend the entry level "kindle" for 79$ which does
                  NOT have a touch screen. The button and 4 way cursor is incredibly
                  tedious to use. Newer ebooks published, and especially dhamma material
                  in ebook format will take full advantage of hyperlinks and you want to
                  be able to just touch the hyperlink on screen and go there, not navigate
                  with a four way button cursor. The 20$ savings between "kindle touch"
                  and entry level kindle is not worth it.

                  -Frank

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
                    Hi Piya,

                    Sorry, I haven't see those volumes on-line; when I need them I use Ven. Yuttadhammo's Digital Pāli Reader which has them (but not in a PDF form). I believe it's complete, but haven't checked it all myself, and I don't know how to download them from his program,

                    Metta, Bryan

                    ________________________________

                    #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
                    Singapore 588179

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 16, 2011
                      Aren't the PTS Pali texts still copyrighted?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 18, 2011
                        Dear Frank,

                        Thanks for your description of the Kindle Touch; it sounds well worth the price!

                        Metta, Bryan

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 18, 2011
                          Dear Pali friends,

                          I made a mobi version of [DN 2], so you can see why I'm excited about
                          touch screens and dhamma reference material converted into useful ebook
                          formats that are easily navigable.

                          https://sites.google.com/site/frankkpublic/dn02

                          -Frank

                          On 12/18/2011 4:46 AM, Bryan Levman wrote:

                          > Dear Frank,
                          >
                          > Thanks for your description of the Kindle Touch; it sounds well worth
                          > the price!
                          >
                          > Metta, Bryan
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                        • stefan_karpik
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 19, 2011
                            Dear Bryan, Frank and others interested in e-readers,

                            These posts made me think about upgrading my Kindle 3 to a Kindle Touch,
                            but I think I would still have the same problems after an upgrade:

                            1. Neither reads ePub documents. This means the offerings of
                            Theravada Tripitaka Press can't be read on Kindle.

                            2. PDFs often cannot be enlarged sufficiently to read them.
                            3. PDFs can be converted into Kindle format by Amazon quite
                            efficiently and for free, but diacritics, even in a Unicode font like
                            Times Roman Extended, come out as gobbledegook and tables are jumbled
                            up.
                            4. PDFs of scans cannot be converted to Kindle format

                            5. New fonts to handle diacritics cannot be introduced.

                            Is this true for the Kindle Touch?

                            Does anyone have a very positive experience of reading Pali on e-ink
                            readers?

                            I completely agree that e-ink is much easier on the eyes than a
                            computer/ tablet/ smartphone screen.

                            Best wishes,

                            Stefan Karpik

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 25, 2011
                              Dear Stefan,
                              I see your email shows a date of 12/19, today your post made it out
                              to the list (12/25). I think some of your questions may already be
                              answered during that time, but here are some more thoughts to consider.

                              On my kindle touch and the model just before the touch came out
                              (wireless, no 3g, + special spammy offers from amazon and partners), I
                              was able to view pali diacritics on unicode just fine, including the
                              tipitaka press epubs which were converted into .mobi with the free
                              program calibre.

                              As far as pali unicode surviving from PDF to mobi conversion from
                              calibre or amazon's free conversion service, I've had mixed results.
                              Calibre seems to be able to pull out scan of pictures from pdf files. I
                              always assumed that the pDF->mobi conversions that worked were because
                              the PDF's were authored with a standard unicode font, and the ones that
                              didn't work were a special pali font. To test out my theory, I used open
                              office (a free equivalent of microsoft word), and typed this microsoft
                              word document, using default Times New roman:
                              Pāḷi unicode test ā ī ū ṭṭṭ

                              If i export it to html, it reads fine as a webpage.
                              I exported it to a PDF file.
                              Then I used calibre to convert it from PDF to .mobi.
                              I put that mobi on my kindle touch.

                              It works fine.
                              It took me 5 minutes to do that.

                              I highly encourage Piya with his Sutta Discovery series and others to
                              use standard unicode pali, so your electronic publications can be
                              effortlessly ported to various devices.

                              Metta,
                              Frank

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 25, 2011
                                Dear Frank,

                                I highly encourage Piya with his Sutta Discovery series and others to
                                > use standard unicode pali, so your electronic publications can be
                                > effortlessly ported to various devices.
                                >
                                > What about security? If we use Unicode and the file is converted into
                                .mobi etc, can the file be altered by others as in MS Word?

                                With metta,

                                Piya

                                #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
                                Singapore 588179

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 25, 2011
                                  Dear Piya,
                                  As an experiment, I tried the program Calibre to convert your "M16
                                  ceto khila" sutta discovery issue into a .mobi file. The diacritics all
                                  came through when viewing on my kindle. So if you're not using unicode
                                  already, then Calibre is pretty smart about substituting a working
                                  font. It would take very little extra work on your part to make your
                                  sutta discovery issues into a very navigable .mobi or .epub format. I
                                  believe if you do something simple like have a unique keyword such as
                                  "chapter" heading every section, then calibre will automatically detect
                                  those headers and build a table of contents. And if you formatted those
                                  chapter headers with "heading 1" on a kindle you should be able to flip
                                  through chapters quickly with a "swipe up" or "swipe down' motion. If
                                  one doesn't have a kindle touch, then the "left" and "right" buttons on
                                  the 4 directional button should accomplish teh same feat without having
                                  to pull up a table of contents page. The hyperlinks for the footnotes
                                  however, did not survive. But I do know if you're starting with a
                                  microsoft .doc file, export an html file, then use calibre to convert
                                  that html file instead of how I converted from the pdf, then the
                                  hyperlinks for your footnotes will survive. And if you are using
                                  "heading1" formatting on any of your headers, you don't even need to use
                                  the "chapter" keyword, then calibre will build the table of contents
                                  automatically and the kindle will navigate with the chapter buttons/swipes.

                                  So at least for that sutta M16, it looks like you're already using a
                                  unicode font on most of the text since most of the diacritics survived
                                  the conversion via calibre. To double check, I used a standard PC pdf
                                  viewer, copying a large block of text from that pdf file, dropped it
                                  into a plain text editor to remove all special formatting, and the pali
                                  diacritics survived. So either some of your sutta discovery issues
                                  already work, or amazon's free PDF conversion service can't handle
                                  standard unicode pali. I'll try out a few more of your sutta discovery
                                  issues over the next couple of weeks and let you know.

                                  As far as encoding and security on PDF vs. mobi and epub, I don't
                                  know anything about it. It sounds like you're asking about something
                                  different than digital rights management, which commercial book
                                  publishers put on their ebooks.

                                  Metta,
                                  -Frank

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 26, 2011
                                    Dear Friends,

                                    In case it is interesting, here's an example html output file from the
                                    DPR (SN 1):

                                    http://static.sirimangalo.org/sn1.zip

                                    and here's the same file converted into an epub using calibre, tweaking
                                    the conversion settings to detect chapters for every <h2> tag (i.e.
                                    every samyutta):

                                    http://static.sirimangalo.org/sn1.epub.zip

                                    Best wishes,

                                    Yuttadhammo
                                  • stefan_karpik
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 28, 2011
                                      Dear Frank,

                                      My problems with diacritics on the Kindle were caused by the Amazon conversion process - Amazon have confirmed to me that they can't convert diacritics.
                                      I've started to use Calibre It converts far better than Amazon's service and diacritics are coming out fine from .doc files and variably from pdfs. Calibre looks as if it will solve the ePub problem and make an HTML document useful to me.
                                      Thanks so much to you and the group for pointing me this way.

                                      Stefan