Sutta poll

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2003
      Dear Dharma Friends,

      Enclosed are draft page 18-19 (PDF) of the trilinear edition of the
      Anapanasati Sutta I have retranslated for use in the Pali Without Grammar
      Module 3 for your perusal and feedback.

      (Trilinear = three lines: Pali text / literla English ./ idiomatic modern
      English).

      These page also contains an important note (n45) which replaces the same in
      the previous interlinear edition which you might have received. My grateful
      thanks to Ajahn Brahmavamso for this valuable guidance and confirmation here.

      Please let me know (especially if you plan to attend PWG Module 3) which
      line you prefer to be in bold: (1) The Pali text line, or (2) The idiomatic
      English translation?

      Since this is a big file, I am only sending it to those who request for it.

      Veludvaretta Sutta study (S 55.7)

      Due to request to fill in the long break before the next Module, I propose
      to do a study of this simple but very interesting sutta where there is an
      interesting definition of Stream-winner.

      Date: 24 Jan 2003 (7.30-9.30 p.m.)
      Venue: The Pali Centre, Bukit Batok (please refer to attached flier).

      Please drop me an email to register (free of charge).

      Sukhi.

      P.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2003
        Dear Piya and friends,

        the original file was larger than Yahoo!'s file size limit of 1M, so
        I have zipped it and made it available as a zip file in the Files
        section:

        --- Piya Tan wrote:
        Enclosed are draft page 18-19 (PDF) of the trilinear edition of the
        Anapanasati Sutta I have retranslated for use in the Pali Without
        Grammar Module 3 for your perusal and feedback.
      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2003
          Dear Yong Peng - thank you for zipping and filing this
          for us.

          Dear Piya - I've just looked at this document and it
          is wonderful! Thank you very, very much. What a
          great help this is to all of us learning Pali. Have
          you created more documents like this for other suttas?

          Yong Peng - why don't we make this a model for how we
          work with and document MN 62?

          Metta,
          John

          --- "Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...>"

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2003
            Dear John & friends,

            Thanks for your joy, it is also the hard work and wisdom of so many teachers. My aim
            is to prepare such texts that would be helpful to the beginner especially where
            primary sources are difficult to access.

            They are not perfect at all, as I am constantly upgrading them as new and useful
            materials come in. For example, I've just incorporated Ajahn Brahm's personal account
            of the 16 aspects of the Breath Meditation: this is truly wonderful for the
            practitioner. (My aim is to present, as much as I can, the suttas from the "practice"
            point of view).

            Although the trilinear method is very effective for study, it is very tedious. As
            such, it would be good if some kind person/s could share in this task.

            I have actually completed the interpaginal retranslation (with notes) for the
            Mahasatipatthana Sutta, but has not released it yet since I am now working on the
            Anapanasati Sutta. However, I will email it to out Group if people could work on it
            together.

            Sukhi.

            P.

          • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
              Dear Piya, John and friends,

              Piya has just updated the Anapanasati Sutta, I have uploaded the new
              version to replace the old one:

            • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
                Dear Piya, John and friends,

                the trilinear method is truly an excellent method for sutta study. I
                wonder why it is unheard of before. Did you invent this method, Piya?

                Yes, I would like to use this as a model to work with MN62, it is an
                excellent way of learning.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
                  Dear Yong Peng & friends,

                  It is a method common amongst students and scholars of the western classics, and even
                  Asian classics. I supposed it was preserved behind the boring walls of dusty
                  research rooms and libraries. We have found a great purpose for its use now.

                  Sukhi.

                  P.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 8, 2003
                    Yong Peng,

                    Incidentally, if you are using the Trilinear (can't think of a better term, I'm sure
                    there is) method, which is really labour intensive, it is good to delegate or
                    apportion the task for the best results and without burnout. For example, I would
                    really love it if some did the Pali texts for me first, and I do not mind doing
                    either the English gloss (literal translation), or better, the idiomatic translation.
                    But we can rotate such assignments, and edit and comment on each other works to
                    improve it.

                    Sukh.

                    P.