Sanskrit and Pali Q&A forum

  • Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2011
      Hey everyone; just a note in case anyone here is interested in such things...

      We've started a Sanskrit and Pali Q&A forum on Stack Exchange. Please join and commit to this worthy project:

      http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/36197/sanskrit-pali-and-other-indo-aryan-languages

      Note that the site is not yet active, so there isn't much to see, but we need many people to get involved, posting example questions and voting up other people's example questions.

      If you aren't familiar with this sort of site, check out the Philosophy forum for an idea of what it would look like if it gets approved:

      http://philosophy.stackexchange.com/

      Anyone who uses these sort of sites knows how useful they are for getting timely and high-quality answers to all sorts of questions.

      May all beings be happy and well.
    • frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2011
        Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo,
        I took a look and registered, it looks very promising. Those of you
        with gmail or openID, you can use those accounts to register very
        quickly (it took me less than 2 minutes to set up a user account,
        confirm my gmail address, and be able to "vote up" topics on that pali
        proposal group). I haven't used that stackexchange service before, but
        just a quick look at it I can see it has some extremely nice features
        that addresses many of the serious inadequacies of the email list and
        typical web forum formats.
        Ven. Yuttadhammo, please keep us informed whether that group
        proposal passes and becomes a functional pali forum.

        Metta,
        Frank

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2011
          Dear Frank,

          It is also important to contribute opinions on the example questions by
          voting; that's part of the process. The proposal now includes
          Indo-Aryan Languages as a whole, because there are fairly high
          participation requirements to have the proposal approved. Stack
          Exchange is really a nice concept that encourages participation and
          promotes quality in many ways; another example of how this sort of forum
          works is our internal Sirimangalo forum:

          http://ask.sirimangalo.org/

          Though it's not based on Stack Exchange, the layout is similar. If the
          proposal doesn't pass, we could just start an independent Pali forum in
          the same way. In the meantime, if you want to see an open forum on Pali
          and Sanskrit languages, please follow the proposal and do vote on the
          questions (and propose your own example questions as well).

          http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/36197/sanskrit-pali-and-other-indo-aryan-languages

          Best wishes,

          Yuttadhammo