Re: [Pali] commentaries on Aagamas

  • Bhikkhu Analayo
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2011
      Dear Dhivan

      greetings and thank you very much for pointing this out, your are right, I should perhaps have mentioned that (I was only thinking in terms of the 4 Nikaayas/Aagamas)

      Of the Dharmapada collection we have two versions preserved in Chinese translation, as well as two versions of the Udaana (for a brief survey you might consult my Encyclopedia entry on Udaana, which can be downloaded here http://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/fileadmin/pdf/analayo/Udana.pdf) in each case one of the two versions combines its stanzas with prose material of a commentarial type

      The Dharmapada plus commentary version, T211, has been translated into English by Charles Willemen:

      Willemen, Charles 1999: The Scriptural Text: Verses of the Doctrine, With Parables, Translated from the Chinese of Fa-li and Fa-chü, (Taishº Volume 4, Number 211), BDK English Tripi?aka 10-II, Berkeley: Numata Center for Buddhist Translation and Research.

      The Udaana(-varga) pluy commentary version, T212, has to my knowledge not been translated into a Eurpean language. I studied some aspects of it in relation to the Paali Udaana and its commentary in this paper: "The Development of the Pali Udana Collection", Bukkyo Kenkyu, 2009, vol. 37 pp. 39-72.

      We also have an Udaana(-varga) commentary preserved in Tibetan, which has been edited (but not translated) by Balk:

      Balk, Michael 1984: Prajñavarman's Udanavargavivara?a, Transliteration of its Tibetan version (based on the xylographs of Chone/Derge and Peking), Indica et Tibetica, Mono­graphien zu den Sprachen und Litera­turen des indo-tibetischen Kul­tur­raumes, Arbeitsmaterialien A, Bonn: Indica et Tibetica.

      Of the same texts there are also some Tocharian fragments

      Sieg, E. 1933: "Bruchstück eines Udanavarga Kommentars (Uda­nala?kara?) im To­cha­rischen", in Festschrift Moriz Winternitz: 1863 - 23. Dez. - 1933 [70. Geburtstag], O. Stein et al. (ed.), Leipzig: Harrassowitz, pp. 167-173.

      Besides these, we also have a version of the A.t.thakavagga of the Suttanipaata that comes together with the prose narrations that in the Paali tradition are found in the commentary on the A.t.thakavagga. An english translation of this text has been provided in two articles by Bapat, which are difficult to get hold of, but are worth the effort.

      Bapat, P.V. 1945 (part 1), 1950 (part 2): "The Arthapada-Sutra Spoken by the Buddha", Visva-Bharati Annals, vol. 1 pp. 135-227 and vol. 3 pp. 1-109.

      Besides these, we also have a Chinese translation of what appears to be a version of the Samantapaasaadikaa, the commentary on the Theravaada Vinaya. This, too, has been translated into English by Bapat

      Bapat, P.V. 1970: ?????, Shan-Chien-P'i-P'o Sha: A Chinese Version by Sa?gha­bhadra of Samantapasadika, Poona: Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute.

      recent publications relevant to this text that I know of are:

      Heirman, Ann 2004: "The Chinese Samantapasadika and its School Affiliation", Zeitschrift der Deutschen Morgenl"ndischen Gesellschaft, vol. 154 pp. 371-396.

      Pinte, Gurdun 2010: "On the Origin of Taisho 1462, The Alleged Translation of the Pali Samantapasadika", Zeitschrift der Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft, vol. 160 no. 2 p. 435-449.

      with much mettaa

      Bhikkhu Anaalayo

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2011
        Dear Ven. Anaalayo,

        Thanks very much for this very useful bibliography,

        Mettaa,

        Bryan

[...]

      • Dhivan Thomas Jones
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2011
          Dear Ven Analayo,

          Many thanks for such thorough bibliographic information. I was especially interested to hear that there is a translation of the Arthapada Sutra available (from the Chinese I am guessing). The exploration of the different versions of the early Buddhist canon really is accelerating, by the look of things.

          Best wishes
          Dhivan

          www.dhivan.net