online sutra text for agamas? Commentaries?

  • frank
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2011
      Dear Pali friends,
      I know suttacentral has links to Chinese Agamas text online indexed
      by their parallel correspondence to Pali Suttas, for example on this page:
      http://www.suttacentral.net/disp_sutta.php?division_id=2&collection_name=Pali&division_name=Majjhima%20Nik%C4%81ya&type=Division&division_acronym=MN

      Are there online commentaries (and subcommentaries) for the Agamas,
      as there are for the Pali Canon?
      -Frank

    • Bhikkhu Analayo
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2011
        Dear Frank

        to my knowledge there are nearly no commentaries on Aagamas preserved in Chinese, apart from a partial commentary on the beginning parts of the Ekottarika-aagama, T1507.

        There is a section of a what originally would have been a commentary on the Samyukta-aagama that is no integrated into the Vastusangraha.nii of the Yogacaarabhuumi, this should be somewhere available online, but would all be in Chinese (if you read Chinese let me know and I check where)

        Among Sanskritfragments of the SHT series there are also a few commentaries here and there, but relatively little (cf. SHT I 24, SHT I 34, SHT I 36, SHT III 802, SHT IV 649, SHT V 1104, SHT VIII 1828, SHT IX 2013). None of these are available online, to my knowledge

        That is, we know there were commentaries on the Aagamas transmitted by non-Theravaada schools, but it seems these have not been well preserved.

        with much mettaa

        Bhikkhu Anaalayo

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
          Dear Ven. Ana-layo,
          Thank you for that useful info!
          -Frank
          On 11/5/2011 5:24 AM, Bhikkhu Analayo wrote:

          > Dear Frank
          >
          > to my knowledge there are nearly no commentaries on Aagamas preserved
          > in Chinese, apart from a partial commentary on the beginning parts of
          > the Ekottarika-aagama, T1507.
          >
          > There is a section of a what originally would have been a commentary
          > on the Samyukta-aagama that is no integrated into the
          > Vastusangraha.nii of the Yogacaarabhuumi, this should be somewhere
          > available online, but would all be in Chinese (if you read Chinese let
          > me know and I check where)
          >
          > Among Sanskritfragments of the SHT series there are also a few
          > commentaries here and there, but relatively little (cf. SHT I 24, SHT
          > I 34, SHT I 36, SHT III 802, SHT IV 649, SHT V 1104, SHT VIII 1828,
          > SHT IX 2013). None of these are available online, to my knowledge
          >
          > That is, we know there were commentaries on the Aagamas transmitted by
          > non-Theravaada schools, but it seems these have not been well preserved.
          >
          > with much mettaa
          >
          > Bhikkhu Anaalayo

        • Oleksandr Demchenko
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
            Dear bhante and all,

            On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Bhikkhu Analayo
            <analayo@...> wrote:
            > partial commentary on the beginning parts of the Ekottarika-aagama, T1507.

            It would be extremely interesting to know if this one shares anything
            in common with Pali atthakathas.

            With best regards,
            Oleksandr
          • Bhikkhu Analayo
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2011
              Dear Oleksandr

              "It would be extremely interesting to know if this one shares anythingin common with Pali atthakathas."

              it is a little difficult to make a general statement but in principle there are certainly a number of similarities. But then the original text (i.e. the Ekottarika) is at times quite different from the Anguttara, so there are obviously also considerable differences. This commentary has so far not been translated into any European language, as far as I know, but there is an informative article on it

              Mori, Sodō 1970: "On the Fēn-bié-gōng-dé-lùn (分別功德論)", Indogaku Bukkyºgaku Ken­kyū / Journal of In­dian and Buddhist Studies, vol. 19 no. 1 pp. 458-452.

              with much mettaa

              Anaalayo