Re: [Pali] food purity/pollution

  • Jacques Huynen
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11, 2011
      Dear Bryan,

      It helps a lot. Thanks.

      I knew about Matthew 15:11 and wanted to compare both doctrines about food interdictions, which can also be cause of social non-integration and even conflict as can be seen in India, where I am now.

      Still the Buddha also seems to emphasize the need to be mindful about what and how you eat, which seems quite reasonable.

      Metta

      Jacques

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 10, 2011
        The Amagandha Sutta of Sutta Nipata addresses this issue and in this sutta the previous Buddha (I dont remember if its Kassapa Buddha or Konagamana) clearly says that food does not cause polluton.

        R.O. Jadhao

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2011
          Dear Rajendra,

          Thanks for bringing this to the group's attention.Yes here the Buddha (Kassapa) repeatedly states
          esāmagandho na hi maṃsabhojanam... ("this is tainted fare, not the eating of flesh" per Norman's translation), in reference to hurting others, breaking the precepts, anger, arrogance, etc.).

          Metta, Bryan

[...]

        • Nicki Karu
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2011

            ....  bhikkhave, sāhāraṃ vadāmi, no anāhāraṃ. .... can be found at

            http://tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0404m3.mul6.xml
            http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/4Anguttara-Nikaya/Anguttara6/10-dasakanipata/007-yamakavaggo-e.html

            Regards,
            Nicki