Re: [Pali] Re: Nina's comments on my paper

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2011
      Venerable Bhikkhu Pandita,
      Op 12-okt-2011, om 17:26 heeft ashinpan het volgende geschreven:

      > Therefore, the first years of intensive Abhidhammic studies are
      > spent with analytical methods similar to maths or logic. The
      > psychological/ethical concepts come only at a later stage when we
      > have to study the commentarial literature. The practical knowledge
      > of Abhidhamma comes much later only.
      >
      > Having passed through such training, I simply don't know how to
      > begin with the last stage. However, the practical knowledge is more
      > important for most people, whom I think people like you are much
      > more qualified to teach.
      -------
      N: I really appreciate your kind and well considered mail. In
      Thailand I learnt Abhidhamma from Acharn Sujin beginning with the
      "last stage". I learnt: Abhidhamma is not "in the book".
      The suttas are full of Abhidhamma, where the Buddha speaks about
      seeing, hearing, attachment that arises on account of the object that
      is experienced and guarding the sense-doors. Abhidhamma pertains to
      seeing at this moment, hearing at this moment and our reactions to
      it, being kusala or akusala. Abhidhamma and mindfulness of dhammas
      appearing now, which is satipa.t.thaana, go together. We know so
      little about seeing, we think of it as my seeing and confuse it with
      perceiving persons and things that seem to exist. There is seeing
      now, it experiences just what appears through eyesense. Its
      characteristic can be "studied" with mindfulness. This is not easy,
      but at least we can begin, very gradually. And this is the study of
      the Abhidhamma. A lifelong study, and for even more than one life.
      I think that we do not have to consider all of the classifications
      and all details, but the general principles such as different
      processes of cittas and conditions for the phenomena can be of great
      help in our daily life.
      with appreciation and respect,