food purity/pollution

  • Jacques Huynen
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
      Hello Friends,
      Would anyone know the ref. in the Pali Tipitaka of a passage where the Buddha states that pollution come from within (mind defilements, greed, anger etc.) not from without (food) ?
      Thanks

    • Ngawang Dorje
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
        Hi,

        Are you probably having in mind Matthew 15:17-19?

        Regards,

        Rahula

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
          Dear Jacques,

          You must be thinking of the *Nibbedhika (Pariyāya) Sutta *(A 6.63):

          *3b *There are these* five cords of sensual pleasures *(*k**Œ**ma,gu**
          ö**a*):

          *Forms* cognizable by the eye that are desirable, attractive,
          pleasant, endearing, associated with sensuality, delightful;

          *Sounds* cognizable by the ear that are, desirable, attractive, pleasant,
          endearing, associated with sensuality, delightful;

          *Smells* cognizable by the nose that are desirable, attractive, pleasant,
          endearing, associated with sensuality, delightful;

          *Tastes* cognizable by the tongue that are desirable, attractive, pleasant,
          endearing, associated with sensuality, delightful;

          *Touches* cognizable by the body that are desirable, attractive,
          pleasant, endearing, associated with sensuality, delightful.

          —*Bhikshus, these are not sensual objects (k**Œ**ma**), but in the
          noble discipline, they are called ‘cords of sensual desire’ (k**Œ**ma,gu**ö*
          *a**)*.[1]<file:///J:/My%20Works%20&%20Courses/My%20works/Sutta%20Discovery%20MAIN/Sutta%20Disco%20v31%20Latent%20tendencies%202011a/31.7%20Sexuality%20piya.doc#_ftn1>

          The thought of passion is a person’s sensuality:

          There is no sensuality in what is beautiful (*citra*) in
          the world.

          The thought of passion is a person’s sensuality:

          What is beautiful in the world remains as they are.

          So here the wise remove the desire for
          them.[2]<file:///J:/My%20Works%20&%20Courses/My%20works/Sutta%20Discovery%20MAIN/Sutta%20Disco%20v31%20Latent%20tendencies%202011a/31.7%20Sexuality%20piya.doc#_ftn2>

          (A 6.63.3/3:410 f) = SD 6.11

          ------------------------------

          [1]<file:///J:/My%20Works%20&%20Courses/My%20works/Sutta%20Discovery%20MAIN/Sutta%20Disco%20v31%20Latent%20tendencies%202011a/31.7%20Sexuality%20piya.doc#_ftnref1>
          *Api ca kho bhikkhave n’ete k**Œm**Œ, k**Œma,gu**ö**Œ nam’ete ariyassa
          vinaye vuccanti.* This is an enigmatic state­ment whose meaning is clarified
          in the verse that follows. See foll n.

          [2]<file:///J:/My%20Works%20&%20Courses/My%20works/Sutta%20Discovery%20MAIN/Sutta%20Disco%20v31%20Latent%20tendencies%202011a/31.7%20Sexuality%20piya.doc#_ftnref2>This
          verse, which explains the previous prose sentence, “plays upon the
          double meaning of *k**Œaama,* emphasizes that purification is to be achieved
          by mastering the defilement of sensuality, not by fleeing [from] sensually
          enticing objects.” (A:ÑB 1999:302 n34). An almost identical verse (without
          line c) is found in *the Na Santi Sutta *(S 1.34). See also *Mine: The
          nature of craving *= SD 19.3 (1.2).
          With metta,

          Piya

          On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Jacques Huynen <jhuynen@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hello Friends,
          > Would anyone know the ref. in the Pali Tipitaka of a passage where the
          > Buddha states that pollution come from within (mind defilements, greed,
          > anger etc.) not from without (food) ?
          > Thanks

          *hp (65) 8211 0879*

          *The Minding Centre*
          170 Upper Bukit Timah Road
          #11-04 Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
          Singapore 588179

          Sutta translation: http://dharmafarer.org

        • Bryan Levman
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 11, 2011
            Dear Jacques,

            I do not know if there is an exact statement to this effect (reminds me of Matthew 15:11: "What goes into the mouth does not make a man unclean; it is what comes out of the mouth that makes him unclean"), but it is certainly implicit in several parts of the writings, e. g. the Mahāsīhanāda Sutta MN12 (Nanamoli and Bodhi, page 175) where the Buddha refutes the brahmanical doctrine that "Purification comes about through food". The Buddha does however recognize that eating itself can be a source of affliction, either eating too much or when one becomes dependent on almsfood, either a certain type (e. g. meat) or on a certain householder as alms-supplier (MN 55 Jīvaka sutta, page 474 and following). Hope that helps,

            Metta, Bryan

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 11, 2011
              Dear Bryan,

              It helps a lot. Thanks.

              I knew about Matthew 15:11 and wanted to compare both doctrines about food interdictions, which can also be cause of social non-integration and even conflict as can be seen in India, where I am now.

              Still the Buddha also seems to emphasize the need to be mindful about what and how you eat, which seems quite reasonable.

              Metta

[...]

            • Rajendra Jadhao
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 10, 2011
                The Amagandha Sutta of Sutta Nipata addresses this issue and in this sutta the previous Buddha (I dont remember if its Kassapa Buddha or Konagamana) clearly says that food does not cause polluton.

                R.O. Jadhao

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 12, 2011
                  Dear Rajendra,

                  Thanks for bringing this to the group's attention.Yes here the Buddha (Kassapa) repeatedly states
                  esāmagandho na hi maṃsabhojanam... ("this is tainted fare, not the eating of flesh" per Norman's translation), in reference to hurting others, breaking the precepts, anger, arrogance, etc.).

                  Metta, Bryan

[...]

                • Nicki Karu
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2011

                    ....  bhikkhave, sāhāraṃ vadāmi, no anāhāraṃ. .... can be found at

                    http://tipitaka.org/romn/cscd/s0404m3.mul6.xml
                    http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/4Anguttara-Nikaya/Anguttara6/10-dasakanipata/007-yamakavaggo-e.html

                    Regards,
                    Nicki