Re: difficulty with PTS dictionary and diacritics

  • palitechguy
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2011
      Hi;

      Just a note about viewing this Group with the Pali characters.

      I don't know if it would make sense to allow Pali instead of Velthius
      but it is definitely possible to use the Pali Characters in the Group (I
      don't know if the email messages sent automatically would work as well).

      I'm putting this note as an answer to Martha's question so that a person
      can see these instructions and try it out in the same message!

      The 'Gentium Basic' font with the needed Pali characters is available at
      : Gentium â€" a typeface for the nations
      <http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=gentium>

      A Firefox add-on called Transliterator has Velthius to Pali
      transliteration built in (I requested it ages ago, sent him the codes
      and he was nice enough to add it as a standard language). Look for
      Pali-Velthius in the list of languages. You can use this for typing in
      your messages. You can read about it on the Firefox pages at :
      Transliterator
      <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/transliterator/> .

      Before trying the following, please note this - important - step. Before
      you change something in your browser settings, write down what it is now
      so that you can change it back after trying it out!

      I have the Gentium Basic font installed on XP, Kubuntu and Ubuntu. I
      also tested this using Browsers in English and French. It should work
      for any language you use as your default for your browser.

      It should work with any Pali font (not just Gentium Basic).

      To see the message from Martha in Pali on Firefox version 6 or higher :

      Firefox on Windows XP -

      * Step 1) In the main Firefox menu use Tools - Options - Content and
      set Default Font to Gentium.
      * Step 2) In the main Firefox menu use View - Character Encoding -
      Unicode (UTF-8).

      Firefox on Ubuntu and Kubuntu (and other Linux systems) :

      * Step 1) In the main Firefox menu use Edit - Preferences - Content
      and set Default Font to Gentium.
      * Step 2) In the main Firefox menu use View - Character Encoding -
      Unicode (UTF-8).

      Internet Explorer version 8 or higher:

      * Use : Page - Encoding - Unicode (UTF-8)
      * If it doesn't work right away then you can change the font in Tools
      - Internet Options - Fonts to Gentium Basic

      To Martha [=;]

      You mention that you tried Firefox. Using Tranliterator to type in the
      Pali characters might be helpful for you.

      Safari is already UTF-8 Unicode by default. For the PTS dictionary and
      other Pali web sites : It is very likely that you can change the default
      font to Gentium Basic to see the characters (and change it back again
      when you are done - it only takes a second).

      To web page developers : New HTML5 compliant web browsers are starting
      to support "automatic font loading". In other words, if the user doesn't
      have a font required by your web page then the font will be downloaded
      automatically. No more hunting for fonts! No more worrying that users
      might not have the correct font! In a year or two, all browsers will
      support this feature. The Gentium Basic font supports this feature now.

      To moderator - I created this message using Yahoo's Standard New Rich
      Text Editor (for bold, numbering, indentation and highlight). For
      techies - It is a WYSIWYG html editor that allows adding some nice
      elements (like tables and images) and css style (like centering, etc).
      At the bottom-right of the data entry box where you type in your message
      there is a little link 'Most HTML is OK. Learn More.' for the geeks in
      the group. This might be handy for adding Pali texts in a format that
      could be used in other contexts (like Pali Dictionaries, other web
      pages, etc)?

      Hope this helps.

      peace from

      Andy

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Martha Turner" <mxi@...> wrote:

      > Let me apologize in advance: This is a much more basic question than
      what I have been seeing on this list. I have been struggling with using
      the PTS dictionary online for about three months now, thinking surely my
      difficulties would resolve with just random trying of things. Now I am
      looking for help.

      > THE PROBLEM: The PTS dictionary seems unpredictable in whether it
      returns a response when a diacritic is entered in the search box. For
      example: I looked up aññāṇa and saw that the etymology was [a
      + ñāṇa]. I cut and pasted ñāṇa and got nothing. I
      progressively truncated it, receiving nothing, up to just ñ --still,
      0 entries. Tried other methods of entering my ñ--0 entries. There
      are no words in this dictionary beginning with ñ? (The Gair and
      Karunatillake reader lists 6 entries in its glossary beginning with
      ñ.) Similarly, a search for words beginning with ā returns
      only two words! (I just don't believe it.)

      > Sometimes, however, it seems to return an appropriate result. When it
      returns an unlikely result, however, it persists over weeks with the
      same unlikely result (only two words beginning ā, for example).

      > SOME TECHNICAL SPECIFICS: am using a Mac running OSX 10.6.8, Safari,
      my default font is Times New Roman (a unicode-enabled font), and my
      default encoding is UTF-8. I have tried Firefox a few times, the
      results have the same problems.

      > Typically I am selecting "Search entry words only (not definitions)"
      and "Words starting with." (Tho, yes, I have tried other search
      parameters.) Typically, I am truncating material at the end--often
      truncating progressively more material until I get a result that I can
      scroll through. Sometimes this works--but too often it gets me nothing.

      > I have tried using Edit>Special Characters>Insert to insert characters
      with diacritics AND have tried copying and pasting my word from the PTS
      text (generally accessed through accesstoinsight.org) AND have tried
      copying and pasting my word from a PTS dictionary entry: same results.

      > Please excuse the rudimentary nature of this inquiry; I would be most
      grateful for any help anyone can give. Thank you.

    • Stephen Hodge
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
        > I don't know if it would make sense to allow Pali instead of Velthius . .
        > .
        It is confusing to talk about a Pali font as there is really no such thing.
        You are really talking about fonts which include a range of diacritics for
        transcribing Indic languages. Some fonts have a huge range of diacritics
        for transcribing many different languages while some are trimmed down for
        Pali and Sanskrit. Whatever works for Sanskrit will, of necessity, also
        work for Pali. To use diacritic fonts, the group needs to be set to use
        Unicode utf-8 fonts. This is something the group owner can arrange if they
        want, but I think he may have reasons for not doing this as this discussion
        comes up every year or so here.

        > The 'Gentium Basic' font with the needed Pali characters . . .
        The SIL Gentium is a good font for Indic languages (and others) and is
        widely used in the Buddhist academic world ~ I use it myself as the need
        arises. However, it is rather ironic to use this font for Buddhist studies.
        Do you know who SIL are and what their aim is ? They are a Christian
        evangelical organization who have developed a range of language tools for
        language study for the sole purpose of translating the Bible into every
        language so they can disrupt indigenous cultures with their Christian
        "message" ! Not exactly benign. As an alternative, there is the Gandhari
        font which was developed by Buddhist scholars for specifically Buddhist
        language needs.

        Best wishes,
        Stephen Hodge
      • Магуба
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
          By the latter did you mean the Akkhara Muni script of Ian James?
          http://skyknowledge.com/akkharamuni.htm
          http://www.omniglot.com/writing/akkharamuni.htm

          Or there is another font based specifically on Gandhari script?

          I admit my preferred script for writing both Pali and Sanskritis Devanagari - it's concise, aestethic and easy to write manually, but it's difficult for typing without special software. Unfortunately our keyboards are designed for typing mainly the long and clumsy alphabetical scripts and not syllabaries which actually could be more adequatefor our computer age as Marshall McLuhan has suggested once.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
            Dear Anon,

            > By the latter did you mean the Akkhara Muni script of Ian James?
            http://skyknowledge.com/akkharamuni.htm
            http://www.omniglot.com/writing/akkharamuni.htm

            > Or there is another font based specifically on Gandhari script?

            Neither, we were talking about transcription roman fonts. I meant the font
            called Gandhari, not this unnecessary monstrosity nor a Kharosthi font like
            Rhino.

            Stephen Hodge