Re: Pali Fonts and Pali-English Dictionary

  • Leonard
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2011
      Hi Santindriya,

      Welcome to the group. About the Pali Fonts, if you are using Windows XP and above, I think "Tahoma" (installed by default) should be able to display all the below Unicode diacritic characters (used for Romanized Pali) correctly.

      ṃ ḥ ṛ ḷ ā ī ū ê ô ṅ ñ ṭ ḍ ṇ ś ṣ

      Some older web pages or applications may still use non-unicode representation for those diacritic characters. In that case, you will need to install the specific font depends on which encoding schema they used.

      See also
      http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/fonts_display
      http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/img/fontsdl.html
      http://www.bps.lk/onlinelibrary.asp

      regards,
      KL Lai
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2011
        Dear Nina, Yong Kiang and KL,

        yes, I have been asking members to post in Velthuis (again). But, I intentionally allow this to come through. As you should realise, the whole process of delivering even a character to your screen is complex. Having the right font which support Unicode is just one of the requirements at your end.

        Unfortunately, Yahoo! Groups still does not fully support Unicode. Please always use Velthuis. Thank you.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
          Dear Santindriya,
          Op 27-sep-2011, om 7:00 heeft Santindriya het volgende geschreven:

          > Are you the same Nina van Gorkom who wrote books like Abhidhamma in
          > Daily Life and The Buddhist Teachings on Physical Phenomena?
          >
          > If yes, very glad to be able communicate with you.
          -------
          N: Yes, the same person :-))
          ------

          > S: I am currently studying Pali at Ruwan Buddhist Society
          > (Singapore) with Venerable K Somananda.
          >
          > Do you have any PDF books on learning Pali and dictionary to
          > recommend?
          -----
          N: I use Warder hard cover. But look at the home page of this list,
          where you find all info and Pali books on line. I hope you can find
          this: http://www.tipitaka.net/
          On top is a green bar and go with your cursor to the second item
          where there are drop down menus. You find all about Pali.
          If you have questions, many on this list will help. I am just taking
          a break for a week,