Pali Fonts and Pali-English Dictionary

  • Koh YK
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2011
      Hi,

      I am new to Pali@yahoogroups.com, having joined the group recently. This is my first posting.

      I have been searching the WWW for Pali fonts for several years. Many of the Pali fonts that I downloaded do not have all the symbols.

      I have recently found a Pali font, “Times Ext Roman”. This font has the 10 Pali symbols, see attached pdf file. It also has the symbols “e” and “o” with the bar on top.

      If you want to download the PDF version of Pali-English Dictionary by Rhys Davids (Pali Text Society), you can click the link below:

      http://www.abhidhamma.com/Pali_English_Dictionary_RhysDavids.pdf

      From some of the earlier messages, I understand that some of you have problems downloading the PDF version of Visuddhimagga — The Path of Purification: The Classic Manual of Buddhist Doctrine and Meditation (Third revised online edition), translated from the Pali by Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli. You may wish to try the link below:

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/PathofPurification2011.pdf

      May you be well and happy always.

      Koh Yong Kiang (Santindriya)

      Mobile: 96604884

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
        Dear Koh YK,

        Op 26-sep-2011, om 5:19 heeft Koh YK het volgende geschreven:

        > I am new to Pali@yahoogroups.com, having joined the group recently.
        > This is my first posting.
        >
        > I have been searching the WWW for Pali fonts for several years.
        > Many of the Pali fonts that I downloaded do not have all the symbols.
        ------
        N: Welcome here. Many in this group are very good with fonts. I could
        solve my problem with some help.
        If you have questions on Pali grammar, any question, you are most
        welcome. Did you study a grammar book?

      • Santindriya
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
          Hi Nina,

          Are you the same Nina van Gorkom who wrote books like Abhidhamma in Daily Life and The Buddhist Teachings on Physical Phenomena?

          If yes, very glad to be able communicate with you.

          I am currently studying Pali at Ruwan Buddhist Society (Singapore) with Venerable K Somananda.

          Do you have any PDF books on learning Pali and dictionary to recommend?

          May you be well and happy always.

          Santindriya.

          > Dear Koh YK,
          >
          > Op 26-sep-2011, om 5:19 heeft Koh YK het volgende geschreven:
          >
          > > I am new to Pali@yahoogroups.com, having joined the group recently.
          > > This is my first posting.
          > >
          > > I have been searching the WWW for Pali fonts for several years.
          > > Many of the Pali fonts that I downloaded do not have all the symbols.
          > ------
          > N: Welcome here. Many in this group are very good with fonts. I could
          > solve my problem with some help.
          > If you have questions on Pali grammar, any question, you are most
          > welcome. Did you study a grammar book?
          > Best wishes,
          > Nina.

        • Leonard
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2011
            Hi Santindriya,

            Welcome to the group. About the Pali Fonts, if you are using Windows XP and above, I think "Tahoma" (installed by default) should be able to display all the below Unicode diacritic characters (used for Romanized Pali) correctly.

            ṃ ḥ ṛ ḷ ā ī ū ê ô ṅ ñ ṭ ḍ ṇ ś ṣ

            Some older web pages or applications may still use non-unicode representation for those diacritic characters. In that case, you will need to install the specific font depends on which encoding schema they used.

            See also
            http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/spectra/fonts_display
            http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/img/fontsdl.html
            http://www.bps.lk/onlinelibrary.asp

            regards,
            KL Lai
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2011
              Dear Nina, Yong Kiang and KL,

              yes, I have been asking members to post in Velthuis (again). But, I intentionally allow this to come through. As you should realise, the whole process of delivering even a character to your screen is complex. Having the right font which support Unicode is just one of the requirements at your end.

              Unfortunately, Yahoo! Groups still does not fully support Unicode. Please always use Velthuis. Thank you.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
                Dear Santindriya,
                Op 27-sep-2011, om 7:00 heeft Santindriya het volgende geschreven:

                > Are you the same Nina van Gorkom who wrote books like Abhidhamma in
                > Daily Life and The Buddhist Teachings on Physical Phenomena?
                >
                > If yes, very glad to be able communicate with you.
                -------
                N: Yes, the same person :-))
                ------

                > S: I am currently studying Pali at Ruwan Buddhist Society
                > (Singapore) with Venerable K Somananda.
                >
                > Do you have any PDF books on learning Pali and dictionary to
                > recommend?
                -----
                N: I use Warder hard cover. But look at the home page of this list,
                where you find all info and Pali books on line. I hope you can find
                this: http://www.tipitaka.net/
                On top is a green bar and go with your cursor to the second item
                where there are drop down menus. You find all about Pali.
                If you have questions, many on this list will help. I am just taking
                a break for a week,