Re: udayatthagaaminiyaa paññaaya samannaagato

  • behappydfgt
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 14, 2011
      Thank you very much for all the answers, at the moment they are being very insightfull
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 16, 2011
        Dear Bryan,

        > udayatthagaaminiyaa ti : I am still wondering about the grammar of
        > udayatthagaaminiyaa. At first I thought that gaaminiyaa refers to
        > pa~n~naa, leading to.. But, as to attha, in PED atthagaamin is
        > mentioned, as if gaamini belongs to attha. What do you think? What
        > type of compound it would be?

      • Mahinda
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 18, 2011
          Dear Nina, Bryan and others,

          I think -attha here stands for attha.mgama, meaning "disapearance". So
          udayattha would be rise and demise. Udayattha-gaaminii pa~n~naa would
          then be "insight of rise and fall" (of physical and mental states). As
          Nina rightly pointed out earlier, this is different from structured
          thought or thinking. It is direct, of-the-moment perception, of say any
          feeling or volitional state; or even of a physical pain or pleasure. It
          is a neat explanation of vipassanaa.

          Mahinda

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 18, 2011
            Dear Mahinda,
            Thank you very much. Yes, as to attha.mgama, this must belong
            together, because attha alone does not make much sense here.
            Just wondering what type of compound it is. Recently I went over the
            subject of compound and I get quite lost, especially about all the
            subclasses of each compound. I checked Warder and some old posts.
            Nina.
            Op 19-sep-2011, om 4:53 heeft Mahinda het volgende geschreven:

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 19, 2011

              > Dear Mahinda,
              > Thank you very much. Yes, as to attha.mgama, this must belong
              > together, because attha alone does not make much sense here.
              > Just wondering what type of compound it is. Recently I went over the
              > subject of compound and I get quite lost, especially about all the
              > subclasses of each compound. I checked Warder and some old posts.
              > Nina.

              Yes, one can easily get lost in this branch of Pali grammar; but I think
              most people get misled by the emphasis that grammar books put on it.
              Most times if the meaning of a compound appears clear, one needn't worry
              about classification.

              In this particular expression of course, how to get the meaning is not
              so evident. It seems to be : endowed (samannaagato) with insight
              (pa~n~naaya) leading to [the understanding of] "rise and demise".
              Assuming a middle term ("understanding" in this case) is sometimes
              necessary when dealing with compounds.

              If my understanding is right (I am open to correction), there is a
              complex of 2 compounds here. First a copulative "udayattha" (rise AND
              fall); then an accusative tappurisa (udayatth.m gaaminii). The
              accusative sign (.m) is lost in compounding.

              Mahinda
            • Bryan Levman
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 19, 2011
                Dear Nina and Mahinda,

                Yes it is an accusative tatpuru.sa compound, meaning literally "going home" which is a metaphor for dying, which means by extension, as Mahinda has pointed out "disappearance". It is very common in Skt. from Vedic times on: astam eti or astam gacchati (Paali attham...), meaning "he/she goes to his/her (heavenly) home" and has come to mean vanish, perish, die, etc.,

                Hope that helps,

                Metta, Bryan

                ________________________________
                I think -attha here stands for attha.mgama, meaning "disapearance". So
                udayattha would be rise and demise. Udayattha-gaaminii pa~n~naa would
                then be "insight of rise and fall" (of physical and mental states). As
                Nina rightly pointed out earlier, this is different from structured
                thought or thinking. It is direct, of-the-moment perception, of say any
                feeling or volitional state; or even of a physical pain or pleasure. It
                is a neat explanation of vipassanaa.

                Mahinda

                > Dear Bryan,
                >
                > > udayatthagaaminiyaa ti : I am still wondering about the grammar of
                > > udayatthagaaminiyaa. At first I thought that gaaminiyaa refers to
                > > pa~n~naa, leading to.. But, as to attha, in PED atthagaamin is
                > > mentioned, as if gaamini belongs to attha. What do you think? What
                > > type of compound it would be?
                >
                > Nina.

              • Bryan Levman
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 19, 2011

                  I forgot to mention that there are in fact two compounds in  the phrase "udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa". "atthagaaminiyaa" is as stated an accusative tatpuru.sa (P. tappurisa) compound, but the overall compound ("udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa) is a dvandva (P. dvanda), meaning "rise and fall", modifying wisdom ("pa~n~naaya")  Hope that is clear. So in the original phrase "udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa pa~n~naaya samannaagato", the whole compound would probably be in genitive case ("endowed with wisdom of the rise and fall...") modifying wisdom; the word attha is the object of gaaminiyaa and together the two form a tappurisa accus. compound which has together come to have the meaning of  a single word, the noun,  "disappearance" (lit: "going home"); and the words udaya and attha-gaaminiyaa are a dvanda, i. e. two nouns joined by "and" ("rise and fall"). It can get a little confusing and hope this is clear,

                  Metta, Bryan

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 19, 2011
                    Dear Bryan and Mahinda,
                    Op 19-sep-2011, om 13:34 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

                    > I forgot to mention that there are in fact two compounds in the
                    > phrase "udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa". "atthagaaminiyaa" is as stated an
                    > accusative tatpuru.sa (P. tappurisa) compound, but the overall
                    > compound ("udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa) is a dvandva (P. dvanda),
                    > meaning "rise and fall", modifying wisdom ("pa~n~naaya") Hope that
                    > is clear.
                    ------
                    N: The whole compound can be considered as a dvanda and as you say:
                    modifying wisdom. (Warder: twin compound or collective noun).
                    Attha gaaminiyaa: a tappurisa: (Warder: prior member is associated
                    with the posterior by a direct relation, like: madhouse: house for
                    the mad).
                    You say an accusative in attha:atthagaamin, going home" which is a
                    metaphor for dying, which means by extension, as Mahinda has pointed
                    out "disappearance". It is very common in Skt. from Vedic times on:
                    astam eti or astam gacchati (Paali attham...), meaning "he/she goes
                    to his/her (heavenly) home" and has come to mean vanish, perish, die,
                    etc.,
                    N: Interesting, I never thought of that.
                    ----
                    > B: So in the original phrase "udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa pa~n~naaya
                    > samannaagato", the whole compound would probably be in genitive
                    > case ("endowed with wisdom of the rise and fall...") modifying
                    > wisdom; the word attha is the object of gaaminiyaa and together the
                    > two form a tappurisa accus. compound which has together come to
                    > have the meaning of a single word, the noun,
                    > "disappearance" (lit: "going home"); and the words udaya and attha-
                    > gaaminiyaa are a dvanda, i. e. two nouns joined by "and" ("rise and
                    > fall").
                    ------
                    Thanks very much for this interesting explanation,