Re: [Pali] udayatthagaaminiyaa paññaaya sam annaagato

  • Larry Rosenfeld
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 14, 2011
      Nina - thank you for sharing the fruits of your insights and knowledge.
      Definitely helpful. - Larry

      On 9/14/2011 9:06 AM, Nina van Gorkom wrote:

      > Dear Larry,
      > Op 13-sep-2011, om 15:15 heeft Larry Rosenfeld het volgende geschreven:
      >
      > > "This is the wisdom of insight and of the path, capable of penetrating
      > > the rise and fall of the five aggregates. Path wisdom is called
      > > 'penetrative' (nibbedhikaa) because it pierces through and eradicates
      > > the mass of greed, hate, and delusion; insight wisdom is called
      > > penetrative because it pierces though them temporarily and because it
      > > leads to penetration by the path."
      > -------
      > N: Very good, enjoyed reading it. It takes a long way, though. First
      > the visesa lakkha.na have to be clearly known, naama being different
      > from ruupa, knowing their characteristics as they appear one at a
      > time more and more clearly, before their arising and falling away can
      > be penetrated.
      > ------
      > Nina.

    • behappydfgt
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 14, 2011
        Thank you very much for all the answers, at the moment they are being very insightfull
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 16, 2011
          Dear Bryan,

          > udayatthagaaminiyaa ti : I am still wondering about the grammar of
          > udayatthagaaminiyaa. At first I thought that gaaminiyaa refers to
          > pa~n~naa, leading to.. But, as to attha, in PED atthagaamin is
          > mentioned, as if gaamini belongs to attha. What do you think? What
          > type of compound it would be?

        • Mahinda
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 18, 2011
            Dear Nina, Bryan and others,

            I think -attha here stands for attha.mgama, meaning "disapearance". So
            udayattha would be rise and demise. Udayattha-gaaminii pa~n~naa would
            then be "insight of rise and fall" (of physical and mental states). As
            Nina rightly pointed out earlier, this is different from structured
            thought or thinking. It is direct, of-the-moment perception, of say any
            feeling or volitional state; or even of a physical pain or pleasure. It
            is a neat explanation of vipassanaa.

            Mahinda

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 18, 2011
              Dear Mahinda,
              Thank you very much. Yes, as to attha.mgama, this must belong
              together, because attha alone does not make much sense here.
              Just wondering what type of compound it is. Recently I went over the
              subject of compound and I get quite lost, especially about all the
              subclasses of each compound. I checked Warder and some old posts.
              Nina.
              Op 19-sep-2011, om 4:53 heeft Mahinda het volgende geschreven:

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 19, 2011

                > Dear Mahinda,
                > Thank you very much. Yes, as to attha.mgama, this must belong
                > together, because attha alone does not make much sense here.
                > Just wondering what type of compound it is. Recently I went over the
                > subject of compound and I get quite lost, especially about all the
                > subclasses of each compound. I checked Warder and some old posts.
                > Nina.

                Yes, one can easily get lost in this branch of Pali grammar; but I think
                most people get misled by the emphasis that grammar books put on it.
                Most times if the meaning of a compound appears clear, one needn't worry
                about classification.

                In this particular expression of course, how to get the meaning is not
                so evident. It seems to be : endowed (samannaagato) with insight
                (pa~n~naaya) leading to [the understanding of] "rise and demise".
                Assuming a middle term ("understanding" in this case) is sometimes
                necessary when dealing with compounds.

                If my understanding is right (I am open to correction), there is a
                complex of 2 compounds here. First a copulative "udayattha" (rise AND
                fall); then an accusative tappurisa (udayatth.m gaaminii). The
                accusative sign (.m) is lost in compounding.

                Mahinda
              • Bryan Levman
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 19, 2011
                  Dear Nina and Mahinda,

                  Yes it is an accusative tatpuru.sa compound, meaning literally "going home" which is a metaphor for dying, which means by extension, as Mahinda has pointed out "disappearance". It is very common in Skt. from Vedic times on: astam eti or astam gacchati (Paali attham...), meaning "he/she goes to his/her (heavenly) home" and has come to mean vanish, perish, die, etc.,

                  Hope that helps,

                  Metta, Bryan

                  ________________________________
                  I think -attha here stands for attha.mgama, meaning "disapearance". So
                  udayattha would be rise and demise. Udayattha-gaaminii pa~n~naa would
                  then be "insight of rise and fall" (of physical and mental states). As
                  Nina rightly pointed out earlier, this is different from structured
                  thought or thinking. It is direct, of-the-moment perception, of say any
                  feeling or volitional state; or even of a physical pain or pleasure. It
                  is a neat explanation of vipassanaa.

                  Mahinda

                  > Dear Bryan,
                  >
                  > > udayatthagaaminiyaa ti : I am still wondering about the grammar of
                  > > udayatthagaaminiyaa. At first I thought that gaaminiyaa refers to
                  > > pa~n~naa, leading to.. But, as to attha, in PED atthagaamin is
                  > > mentioned, as if gaamini belongs to attha. What do you think? What
                  > > type of compound it would be?
                  >
                  > Nina.

                • Bryan Levman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 19, 2011

                    I forgot to mention that there are in fact two compounds in  the phrase "udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa". "atthagaaminiyaa" is as stated an accusative tatpuru.sa (P. tappurisa) compound, but the overall compound ("udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa) is a dvandva (P. dvanda), meaning "rise and fall", modifying wisdom ("pa~n~naaya")  Hope that is clear. So in the original phrase "udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa pa~n~naaya samannaagato", the whole compound would probably be in genitive case ("endowed with wisdom of the rise and fall...") modifying wisdom; the word attha is the object of gaaminiyaa and together the two form a tappurisa accus. compound which has together come to have the meaning of  a single word, the noun,  "disappearance" (lit: "going home"); and the words udaya and attha-gaaminiyaa are a dvanda, i. e. two nouns joined by "and" ("rise and fall"). It can get a little confusing and hope this is clear,

                    Metta, Bryan

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 19, 2011
                      Dear Bryan and Mahinda,
                      Op 19-sep-2011, om 13:34 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

                      > I forgot to mention that there are in fact two compounds in the
                      > phrase "udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa". "atthagaaminiyaa" is as stated an
                      > accusative tatpuru.sa (P. tappurisa) compound, but the overall
                      > compound ("udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa) is a dvandva (P. dvanda),
                      > meaning "rise and fall", modifying wisdom ("pa~n~naaya") Hope that
                      > is clear.
                      ------
                      N: The whole compound can be considered as a dvanda and as you say:
                      modifying wisdom. (Warder: twin compound or collective noun).
                      Attha gaaminiyaa: a tappurisa: (Warder: prior member is associated
                      with the posterior by a direct relation, like: madhouse: house for
                      the mad).
                      You say an accusative in attha:atthagaamin, going home" which is a
                      metaphor for dying, which means by extension, as Mahinda has pointed
                      out "disappearance". It is very common in Skt. from Vedic times on:
                      astam eti or astam gacchati (Paali attham...), meaning "he/she goes
                      to his/her (heavenly) home" and has come to mean vanish, perish, die,
                      etc.,
                      N: Interesting, I never thought of that.
                      ----
                      > B: So in the original phrase "udaya-attha-gaaminiyaa pa~n~naaya
                      > samannaagato", the whole compound would probably be in genitive
                      > case ("endowed with wisdom of the rise and fall...") modifying
                      > wisdom; the word attha is the object of gaaminiyaa and together the
                      > two form a tappurisa accus. compound which has together come to
                      > have the meaning of a single word, the noun,
                      > "disappearance" (lit: "going home"); and the words udaya and attha-
                      > gaaminiyaa are a dvanda, i. e. two nouns joined by "and" ("rise and
                      > fall").
                      ------
                      Thanks very much for this interesting explanation,