Re: [Pali] Free book: Visuddhimagga - The Path of Purification

  • Morgan Morrison
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 2011
      Hi Nina,

      The PDF download does work, but here is what I would suggest to eliminate any blanks or spaces in the URL locator label. First, copy and then paste the entire "http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/PathofPurification2011.pdf" into a new web page URL label at the top of a web page in your browser. (You can copy and paste the title from the previous line, without the quotes. Hit the Return key on your keyboard and the PDF will download. Save the PDF as whatever you want to call it and save the downloaded PDF file to a location that's easy to find again. The downloads folder or desktop folder are both easy to find documents in. Open with PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader, unless your browser opens the downloaded PDF for you "automatically." The Visuddhimagga download is an English translation with no accompanying Pali text.

      I hope that this helps you with any problems that you may have experienced with this particular downloadable file.

      Metta,

      Murukkan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 27, 2011
        Dear Yong Peng, Nina, Sayadej and friends,

        Thank you Yong Peng for sharing this useful resource.

        I downloaded the pdf file by right clicking at the link to the file and
        choose 'save target as.' The downloaded pdf file looks perfect on both
        "Adobe Reader X" and "STDU viewer."

        Not sure whether this is applicable to you, but it may worth trying. Both
        are free applications:

        http://www.adobe.com/products/reader.html

        http://www.stdutility.com/stduviewer.html

        With metta,
        Chanida

        On 27 August 2011 03:16, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

        > Dear Bryan and friends,
        > I have problems with pdf and cannot download this. I see I am not the
        > only one. Can you help me? Perhaps convert it into Word and send me
        > off list? I get only a cover and empty pages, no text. Thank you,
        > Nina.
        > Op 17-aug-2011, om 10:23 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:
        >
        > > Visuddhimagga — The Path of Purification,
        > > translated from Pali by Bhikkhu Ñānamoli
        > >
        > > This classic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation, is now
        > > available free of charge. The entire volume can be downloaded in
        > > PDF format here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/
        > > PathofPurification2011.pdf

        > ------------------------------------

      • carlo4067
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 30, 2011
          Dear Nina and friends,
          you can try this free software http://www.tracker-software.com/
          <http://www.tracker-software.com/> . You have to click get free pdf
          viewer in this page. It's faster and much better than adobe. You can
          also try to download "The Path of Purification" from the access to
          insigth home page.
          Metta
          Lorenzo

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
            By the way, for those who want to cut and paste from the Vism (this version
            does not seem to support this feature), please contact me offline for a
            cut-and-paste-friendly version if you need it.

            Piya

            On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM, carlo4067 <carlo4067@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Dear Nina and friends,
            > you can try this free software http://www.tracker-software.com/
            > <http://www.tracker-software.com/> . You have to click get free pdf
            > viewer in this page. It's faster and much better than adobe. You can
            > also try to download "The Path of Purification" from the access to
            > insigth home page.
            > Metta
            > Lorenzo
            >
            > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Bryan and friends,
            > > I have problems with pdf and cannot download this. I see I am not the
            > > only one. Can you help me? Perhaps convert it into Word and send me
            > > off list? I get only a cover and empty pages, no text. Thank you,
            > > Nina.
            > > Op 17-aug-2011, om 10:23 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:
            > >
            > > > Visuddhimagga � The Path of Purification,
            > > > translated from Pali by Bhikkhu �ānamoli
            > > >
            > > > This classic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation, is now
            > > > available free of charge. The entire volume can be downloaded in
            > > > PDF format here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/
            > > > PathofPurification2011.pdf

            The Minding Centre
            Singapore 650644
            hpl: 8211 0879
            Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
              Dear Chanida,
              Thank you for the trouble. I have a Mac 10.4.11. This does not work,
              but I shall consult a technician later on.
              Nina.

              Op 27-aug-2011, om 20:14 heeft Chanida Jantrasrisalai het volgende
              geschreven:

              > The downloaded pdf file looks perfect on both
              > "Adobe Reader X" and "STDU viewer."

            • Mingkong Zhang
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
                Thank you for your generosity.
                Peace with Metta
                Mingkong

                ________________________________
                By the way, for those who want to cut and paste from the Vism (this version
                does not seem to support this feature), please contact me offline for a
                cut-and-paste-friendly version if you need it.

                Piya

                On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM, carlo4067 <carlo4067@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Dear Nina and friends,
                > you can try this free software http://www.tracker-software.com/
                > <http://www.tracker-software.com/> . You have to click get free pdf
                > viewer in this page. It's faster and much better than adobe. You can
                > also try to download "The Path of Purification" from the access to
                > insigth home page.
                > Metta
                > Lorenzo
                >
                > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Dear Bryan and friends,
                > > I have problems with pdf and cannot download this. I see I am not the
                > > only one. Can you help me? Perhaps convert it into Word and send me
                > > off list? I get only a cover and empty pages, no text. Thank you,
                > > Nina.
                > > Op 17-aug-2011, om 10:23 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:
                > >
                > > > Visuddhimagga — The Path of Purification,
                > > > translated from Pali by Bhikkhu Ñānamoli
                > > >
                > > > This classic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation, is now
                > > > available free of charge. The entire volume can be downloaded in
                > > > PDF format here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/
                > > > PathofPurification2011.pdf

                The Minding Centre
                Singapore 650644
                hpl: 8211 0879
                Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

              • frank
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
                  I'm very grateful and appreciative for all the hard work that went into
                  digitizing Vism.
                  Does anyone know if other versions of it are forthcoming, such as an
                  epub or a kindle friendly version? An HTML version would have been ideal
                  (chapter links, footnotes etc hyperlinked).

                  Does anyone know what advantage PDF offers for a 750 page book? No one
                  is going to print it out. An ebook version has the huge advantage of
                  being low eyestrain and readable outdoors in full sunlight. An HTML
                  version would be ideal for someone who is already very familiar with the
                  text and just consults it often as a reference.

                  How nice it would be to see this working with Digital Pali Reader.
                  -Frank

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2011
                    Dear Murukkan,
                    Thanking you for the trouble. As explained to Chanida, I am
                    postponing efforts, waiting for a technician.
                    Nina.
                    Op 27-aug-2011, om 13:24 heeft Morgan Morrison het volgende geschreven: