Re: [Pali] Free book: Visuddhimagga - The Path of Purification

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2011
      This "Fourth" Vism (Nyanamoli) edition is certainly the best I've seen so
      far, not only with the totally new digital typeset, but with footnotes
      rather than troublesome endnotes.

      However, there is a mystery about this new edition. I have a "Fifth" edition
      (dated 1991) printed by Karunaratne & Son in Colombo. Its print is much
      clearer than this 2010 ed. It follows the old format. I wonder if this is
      the "lost" digital version mentioned in our edition here, which is given as
      the 4th ed (2010). This is going to be confusing for the librarians. Anyway,
      it remains that we have a more readable 2010 edition here.

      What does "Himi" at the end of Buddhaghosa and Nyanamoli's names mean?

      With metta,

      Piya Tan

      On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Brian Farley <zouzougne@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > sadhu, sadhu, sadhu.
      >
      > ________________________________

      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644
      hpl: 8211 0879
      Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2011
        Himi = monk in Sinhalese/Sinhala

        Metta,
        Lennart

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2011
          Thanks, Lennart,

          Himi must be the indicative or titular form of the vocative hamudruvo, then.
          Like "phra" in Thai.

          With metta,

          Piya

        • Sayadej Vongsopha
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2011
            Dear Dhamma friends,

            Thank for sharing the Visuddhimagga-The Path of Purification, but I don't know why I could not open it. The pages turns black as it notifies that the Adobe Reader cannot be used to view PDF file...

            In the Dhamma,

            Ven.Sayadej

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 24, 2011
              Are you using an up-to-date version of Adobe Reader?

              Piya