Re: [Pali] Free book: Visuddhimagga - The Path of Purification

  • Mingkong Zhang
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 17, 2011
      Thank you for this valuable book info.
      Peace with Metta
      Mingkong

      ________________________________
      From: Ong Yong Peng <palismith@...>
      To: Pali@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:23 AM
      Subject: [Pali] Free book: Visuddhimagga - The Path of Purification

      Dear friends,

      Visuddhimagga - The Path of Purification,
      translated from Pali by Bhikkhu Ñānamoli

      This classic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation, is now available free of charge. The entire volume can be downloaded in PDF format here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/PathofPurification2011.pdf

    • svongsopha@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 24, 2011
        I am using Adobe reader 9.
        In the Dhamma,
        Sayadej
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 27, 2011
          Dear Bryan and friends,
          I have problems with pdf and cannot download this. I see I am not the
          only one. Can you help me? Perhaps convert it into Word and send me
          off list? I get only a cover and empty pages, no text. Thank you,
          Nina.
          Op 17-aug-2011, om 10:23 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

          > Visuddhimagga � The Path of Purification,
          > translated from Pali by Bhikkhu �ānamoli
          >
          > This classic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation, is now
          > available free of charge. The entire volume can be downloaded in
          > PDF format here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/
          > PathofPurification2011.pdf

        • Morgan Morrison
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 27, 2011
            Hi Nina,

            The PDF download does work, but here is what I would suggest to eliminate any blanks or spaces in the URL locator label. First, copy and then paste the entire "http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/PathofPurification2011.pdf" into a new web page URL label at the top of a web page in your browser. (You can copy and paste the title from the previous line, without the quotes. Hit the Return key on your keyboard and the PDF will download. Save the PDF as whatever you want to call it and save the downloaded PDF file to a location that's easy to find again. The downloads folder or desktop folder are both easy to find documents in. Open with PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader, unless your browser opens the downloaded PDF for you "automatically." The Visuddhimagga download is an English translation with no accompanying Pali text.

            I hope that this helps you with any problems that you may have experienced with this particular downloadable file.

            Metta,

            Murukkan

            ________________________________
            I have problems with pdf and cannot download this. I see I am not the
            only one. Can you help me? Perhaps convert it into Word and send me
            off list? I get only a cover and empty pages, no text. Thank you,
            Nina.
            Op 17-aug-2011, om 10:23 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

            > Visuddhimagga — The Path of Purification,
            > translated from Pali by Bhikkhu Ñānamoli
            >
            > This classic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation, is now
            > available free of charge. The entire volume can be downloaded in
            > PDF format here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/
            > PathofPurification2011.pdf

          • Chanida Jantrasrisalai
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 27, 2011
              Dear Yong Peng, Nina, Sayadej and friends,

              Thank you Yong Peng for sharing this useful resource.

              I downloaded the pdf file by right clicking at the link to the file and
              choose 'save target as.' The downloaded pdf file looks perfect on both
              "Adobe Reader X" and "STDU viewer."

              Not sure whether this is applicable to you, but it may worth trying. Both
              are free applications:

              http://www.adobe.com/products/reader.html

              http://www.stdutility.com/stduviewer.html

              With metta,
              Chanida

              On 27 August 2011 03:16, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

              > Dear Bryan and friends,
              > I have problems with pdf and cannot download this. I see I am not the
              > only one. Can you help me? Perhaps convert it into Word and send me
              > off list? I get only a cover and empty pages, no text. Thank you,
              > Nina.
              > Op 17-aug-2011, om 10:23 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:
              >
              > > Visuddhimagga — The Path of Purification,
              > > translated from Pali by Bhikkhu Ñānamoli
              > >
              > > This classic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation, is now
              > > available free of charge. The entire volume can be downloaded in
              > > PDF format here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/
              > > PathofPurification2011.pdf

              > ------------------------------------

            • carlo4067
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 30, 2011
                Dear Nina and friends,
                you can try this free software http://www.tracker-software.com/
                <http://www.tracker-software.com/> . You have to click get free pdf
                viewer in this page. It's faster and much better than adobe. You can
                also try to download "The Path of Purification" from the access to
                insigth home page.
                Metta
                Lorenzo

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
                  By the way, for those who want to cut and paste from the Vism (this version
                  does not seem to support this feature), please contact me offline for a
                  cut-and-paste-friendly version if you need it.

                  Piya

                  On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM, carlo4067 <carlo4067@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Dear Nina and friends,
                  > you can try this free software http://www.tracker-software.com/
                  > <http://www.tracker-software.com/> . You have to click get free pdf
                  > viewer in this page. It's faster and much better than adobe. You can
                  > also try to download "The Path of Purification" from the access to
                  > insigth home page.
                  > Metta
                  > Lorenzo
                  >
                  > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dear Bryan and friends,
                  > > I have problems with pdf and cannot download this. I see I am not the
                  > > only one. Can you help me? Perhaps convert it into Word and send me
                  > > off list? I get only a cover and empty pages, no text. Thank you,
                  > > Nina.
                  > > Op 17-aug-2011, om 10:23 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:
                  > >
                  > > > Visuddhimagga � The Path of Purification,
                  > > > translated from Pali by Bhikkhu �ānamoli
                  > > >
                  > > > This classic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation, is now
                  > > > available free of charge. The entire volume can be downloaded in
                  > > > PDF format here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/
                  > > > PathofPurification2011.pdf

                  The Minding Centre
                  Singapore 650644
                  hpl: 8211 0879
                  Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
                    Dear Chanida,
                    Thank you for the trouble. I have a Mac 10.4.11. This does not work,
                    but I shall consult a technician later on.
                    Nina.

                    Op 27-aug-2011, om 20:14 heeft Chanida Jantrasrisalai het volgende
                    geschreven:

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
                      Thank you for your generosity.
                      Peace with Metta
                      Mingkong

                      ________________________________
                      By the way, for those who want to cut and paste from the Vism (this version
                      does not seem to support this feature), please contact me offline for a
                      cut-and-paste-friendly version if you need it.

                      Piya

                      On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:14 PM, carlo4067 <carlo4067@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Dear Nina and friends,
                      > you can try this free software http://www.tracker-software.com/
                      > <http://www.tracker-software.com/> . You have to click get free pdf
                      > viewer in this page. It's faster and much better than adobe. You can
                      > also try to download "The Path of Purification" from the access to
                      > insigth home page.
                      > Metta
                      > Lorenzo
                      >
                      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Dear Bryan and friends,
                      > > I have problems with pdf and cannot download this. I see I am not the
                      > > only one. Can you help me? Perhaps convert it into Word and send me
                      > > off list? I get only a cover and empty pages, no text. Thank you,
                      > > Nina.
                      > > Op 17-aug-2011, om 10:23 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:
                      > >
                      > > > Visuddhimagga — The Path of Purification,
                      > > > translated from Pali by Bhikkhu Ñānamoli
                      > > >
                      > > > This classic manual of Buddhist doctrine and meditation, is now
                      > > > available free of charge. The entire volume can be downloaded in
                      > > > PDF format here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/pdfs/
                      > > > PathofPurification2011.pdf

                      The Minding Centre
                      Singapore 650644
                      hpl: 8211 0879
                      Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

                    • frank
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
                        I'm very grateful and appreciative for all the hard work that went into
                        digitizing Vism.
                        Does anyone know if other versions of it are forthcoming, such as an
                        epub or a kindle friendly version? An HTML version would have been ideal
                        (chapter links, footnotes etc hyperlinked).

                        Does anyone know what advantage PDF offers for a 750 page book? No one
                        is going to print it out. An ebook version has the huge advantage of
                        being low eyestrain and readable outdoors in full sunlight. An HTML
                        version would be ideal for someone who is already very familiar with the
                        text and just consults it often as a reference.

                        How nice it would be to see this working with Digital Pali Reader.
                        -Frank

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2011
                          Dear Murukkan,
                          Thanking you for the trouble. As explained to Chanida, I am
                          postponing efforts, waiting for a technician.
                          Nina.
                          Op 27-aug-2011, om 13:24 heeft Morgan Morrison het volgende geschreven: