Re: Sutta Translation: Word by Word, Buddhaghosa.

  • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
      Dear Nina and friends,

      thanks for the info. For the sutta translation, let's take a step at
      a time. For your comments on Buddhaghosa, I share similar respect for
      him and his works. In fact, one of the main reason I learn pali is to
      be able to read many pali texts (such as Buddhaghosa's) not yet
      available in English, and since I do not know Thai, Sinhala and
      Burmese, it will be best to learn pali.

      > I do not take much to history, I find it more convincing to read
      the texts. Then we can see Buddhaghosa's devotion to preserving the
      integrity of the teachings, his insistance on vipassanaa pa~n~naa,
      understanding the khandhas, dhaatus, ayatanas.
    • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 14, 2003
        Dear Piya and friends,

        my mistake, it should be a pdf file, and I actually have it on my
        harddisk. I rediscover it while I clean up and backup my files this
        afternoon. I have zipped and uploaded the file here:

        I am not sure where I got it from, there is no information in the
        file except that the authors are David & Marian Cortesi. It is also
        not available at Buddhanet.

        --- Ong Yong Peng wrote:
        > thanks again. As for Ven. Nyanaponika's WOB, there used to be a
        > downloadable MS Word document (if I am not mistaken). However, it
        > seems to be gone or lost in cyberspace.
        >
        > I will generate a PDF file for it and put it under the file section.
        >
        > metta,
        > Yong Peng.
        >
        > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Piya Tan wrote:
        > > It's great to have Nyanaponika's Word of the Buddha online.
        > > If you could add a Download Button (that is, one button to
        download
        > the whole file) it would help many who would like to read it
        offline.