Re: [Pali] The New Pali Course Part III [49/120] gerund and gerundive.

    Message 1 of 102 , Jul 5, 2011
      A useful question.
      Op 3-jul-2011, om 17:12 heeft Ong Yong Peng het volgende geschreven:

      > YP: vandiya (PTS: gerundive of vandati) to be honoured.
      > YP: vanditabba (future passive participle of vandati) should be
      > honoured.
      > YP: This is the first time I encounter a "gerundive" and a "future
      > passive participle" of the same verb so close together. In Latin, a
      > gerund is a verbal noun, while a gerundive is a verbal adjective.
      > Can anyone explain if the same can be said of Pali.
      --------
      N: I looked up Warder lesson 8: a gerund (pubbakiriya) is an
      indeclinable participle, expressing a action preceding the action of
      the main verb. Agent of gerund is the same as agent of main action.
      endings on -tvaa, itvaa, or ya.
      We have met forms like: upasa.mkamitvaa, having approached... And
      aadaaya, having taken.
      Duroiselle, at end deals with Gerund, but not with gerundive.
      But now we have here a gerundive, or in Latin: gerundivum, a form
      with: must, or, to be: vandiya.
      As you say, this is a verbal noun.
      The difference between gerundive and gerund in Latin: I asked an
      expert in the family and tell you as soon as he answers.

    • Bryan Levman
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 26, 2011
        Thanks Nina for the explanation. You certainly know more about this material (Abhidhamma) than I do,

        Metta, Bryan