The New Pali Course Part III [49/120]

    Message 1 of 102 , Jul 3, 2011
      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter IV Analysis of Sentences

      7. "Na h'eva.m vandiyaa Buddhaa yathaa vandasi, Gotamii."
      "Katha.m carahi sabba~n~nuu vanditabbaa Tathaagataa?" [Apa.535]

      YP: "Indeed so, O Gotami, the Buddhas (are) not to be honoured in the way (you) honour (them)."
      "How then should the Omniscient Tathagatas be honoured?"

      YP: h'eva.m = hi eva.m
      YP: vandiya (PTS: gerundive of vandati) to be honoured.
      YP: vanditabba (future passive participle of vandati) should be honoured.
      YP: This is the first time I encounter a "gerundive" and a "future passive participle" of the same verb so close together. In Latin, a gerund is a verbal noun, while a gerundive is a verbal adjective. Can anyone explain if the same can be said of Pali.
      YP: carahi (indec) then.

      8. "Anupubbena medhaavii thoka-thoka.m kha.ne kha.ne kammaaro rajatass'eva niddhame malam attano." [Dhp.v.239]

      YP: "Little by little, moment by moment, a wise man may cleanse (his) own impurities in due course, just as a smith (the impurities) of silver."

      YP: rajatass'eva = rajatassa + iva (http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/BDLM/en/lesson/pali/reading/gatha239.htm)
      YP: niddhame is the less common form of niddhameyya (3rd person singular optative of niddhamati). See An Elementary Pali Course Lesson XII (12).

      9. "Sabba.m Tissakumaarassa vatthumhi vuttanayen'eva veditabba.m." [DhA.ii,139]

      YP: "All should be understood just as it was related in the story of Tissa the young one."

      YP: vuttanaya - see PED naya

      * Feel free to try translating the Pali sentences below. *

      10. "Saavatthiya.m kira eko upaasako dhammena samena agaara.m ajjhaavasati." [Ibid. ii,157]

      11. "Eva.m sante pi aha.m pubbe ki~nci akatattaa ki~nci na labhaamii ti na jaanaasi." [Ibid. ii,127]

      Glossary Group 15

      7. "The Buddhas, Gotamii, are not to be honoured in the way that you honoured them." "How, then, my Lord, the Omniscient Ones should be adored?"

      8. Just as a smith removes the dross of silver by degrees, little by little, from time to time, in the same way a wise man should remove his own impurities.

      9. Vuttanayena, as it was related.

      10. Dhammena samena, righteously and peacefully.

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 26, 2011
        Thanks Nina for the explanation. You certainly know more about this material (Abhidhamma) than I do,

        Metta, Bryan