Re: Sutta Translation: Word by Word

  • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
      Dear Piya and friends,

      thanks again. As for Ven. Nyanaponika's WOB, there used to be a
      downloadable MS Word document (if I am not mistaken). However, it
      seems to be gone or lost in cyberspace.

      I will generate a PDF file for it and put it under the file section.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Piya Tan wrote:
      > It's great to have Nyanaponika's Word of the Buddha online.
      > If you could add a Download Button (that is, one button to download
      the whole file) it would help many who would like to read it offline.
    • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks for the info. For the sutta translation, let's take a step at
        a time. For your comments on Buddhaghosa, I share similar respect for
        him and his works. In fact, one of the main reason I learn pali is to
        be able to read many pali texts (such as Buddhaghosa's) not yet
        available in English, and since I do not know Thai, Sinhala and
        Burmese, it will be best to learn pali.

        > I do not take much to history, I find it more convincing to read
        the texts. Then we can see Buddhaghosa's devotion to preserving the
        integrity of the teachings, his insistance on vipassanaa pa~n~naa,
        understanding the khandhas, dhaatus, ayatanas.
      • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 14, 2003
          Dear Piya and friends,

          my mistake, it should be a pdf file, and I actually have it on my
          harddisk. I rediscover it while I clean up and backup my files this
          afternoon. I have zipped and uploaded the file here:

          I am not sure where I got it from, there is no information in the
          file except that the authors are David & Marian Cortesi. It is also
          not available at Buddhanet.