Re: new audio sutta readings (in Pali and English) are here. We need your help with proof listening the audio.

  • Dhammadarsa Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2011
      Hi All

      I don't recall if this had been mentioned in the lead up discussion:

      http://www.suttareadings.net/audio/index.html

      I don't mean to throw a spanner in the works, but maybe there could be collaboration to avoid duplication?

      Kind Regards

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, frank <fcckuan@...> wrote:

      > Dear Pali friends,
      >
      > The audio tipitaka project is moving along nicely. Right now, we
      > have a team of readers (including monastics) that can record more than
      > 60 min worth of reading per week, but we're lacking staff to support the
      > process of database maintenance and the biggest need at the moment is
      > proof listening.
      >
      > If you think you can help, please check out the audio works in
      > progress waiting for proof listening here:
      >
      > wip.audtip.com
      >
      > There are currently 6 suttas in there, all short, average of 4min
      > long each. One is read in Pali, so that's where your Pali skills come in :)
      > The Proof listening is much easier than you think. Even if you're
      > not sure you can proof listen, please visit and listen to the suttas
      > just for enjoyment.
      >
      > The suttas that have already passed a proof listening and have been
      > released to the public reside on:
      > www.audtip.com (released suttas here, and info for volunteering in other
      > areas)
      > wip.audtip.com (works in progress)
      >
      > Both sites have links to our discussion forums which you can read and
      > post to without subscribing or joining a list.
      >
      > -Frank

    • frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2011
        Dear Ven. Dhammadarsa,
        Suttareadings.net has (as I recall) around 30-40 audio suttas in
        their collection, and they stopped producing new suttas in 2006. As one
        of the readers for audtip.org, I've generally tried to avoid reading
        suttas that I know exist on suttareadings.net or Ven. Anandajoti's
        http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Audio/AU-index.htm, especially
        longer suttas. A few of the shorter suttas were duplicated
        unintentionally in some cases, in other cases intentionally to feature a
        different English translation from the Pali than the ones in existing
        audio suttas.
        Since the time of the original message quoted, we've purchased the
        audtip.org domain name and the ".com" versions are obsolete.
        http://www.audtip.org/
        is our main site.

        wip.audtip.org
        (works in progress - being proof listened)

        pl.audtip.org
        proof listening discussion forum

        We have a podcast every saturday featuring an English audio sutta, one
        can subscribe by clicking on the orange square RSS icon on the bottom
        left hand column of http://www.audtip.org/

        I'm going to be out of contact with the world in July and August of
        2011, so if anyone is trying to reach me, I'll be back Sept 1. 2011.
        We've been focusing on English readings, but we'd love to have
        volunteers join to add Pali readings, Spanish, Thai, German, French,
        Chinese, etc. The Dhamma is an oral tradition, it only seems right there
        should be audio versions of the Tipitaka in every language.

        -Frank