Re: The New Pali Course Part III [45/120] - Summary

    Message 1 of 102 , Jun 14, 2011
      Dear Nina, Mahinda, Bryan, James and friends,

      thanks for your inputs to this exercise. Once again, I have to mention that it has been great learning for myself. As promised, I have compiled our discussion and placed it below.

      (a) "Tiini phalaani pattena ariyasaavakena olokita-olokita.t.thaana.m kampi."

      This sentence is from the commentary - Baalavagga/Cittagahapativatthu referencing Dhammapada verses 73&74: asanta.m bhaavanamiccheyya...

      Buddhaana.m sammukha.t.thaane pana .thitaa vaa nisinnaa vaa ito vaa etto vaa na honti, buddhaviithiyaa dviisu passesu niccalaava ti.t.thanti.
      [The people] standing or sitting at a place in the presence of the Buddhas are not here nor there [i.e. not moving], but remain as though motionless on the two sides of the road of the Buddhas. [here referring to the noble eightfold path]

      * niccalaava = niccalaa-iva

      Citto gahapati mahanta.m buddhaviithi.m okkami.
      Citta the householder entered the great path to/for/of the Buddha.[here referring to an actual pathway]

      Tiini phalaani pattena ariyasaavakena olokita-olokita.t.thaana.m kampi.
      Every place looked at by the noble disciple [who] attained the three fruitions shook.

      [subject] tiini phalaani pattena ariyasaavakena olokita-olokita.t.thaana.m
      [predicate] kampi

      (b) "Sunakhakaale pacceka-Buddhe sinehena pavattitabhu`nkara.na-mattam eva ta.m rakkhati."

      This sentence is also from the commentary - Appamaadavagga/Saamaavatiivatthu referencing Dhammapada verses 21-23: appamado amatapada.m...

      Ta.m sunakho vaa kaako vaa amanusso vaa upasa`nkamitu.m naasakkhi. Neither dog nor crow nor non-human being was able to approach him.

      * naasakkhi = na + asakkhi. For asakkhi, see PED sakkoti.

      "Nanu cassa neva maataa na pitaa na bhaatikaadiisu koci rakkhitaa naama atthi, ko ta.m rakkhati"ti?
      "And surely for him, there is indeed no protector whosoever among (his) mother, father, brother and others [i.e. other kinsmen, since none of these people are present] so, who (or what) protects him?"

      * nanu (indec, affirmative) surely, certainly
      * cassa = ca + assa; ca: and; assa: for him
      * neva = na + eva; neva ... na: neither ... nor
      * maataa na pitaa na bhaatikaadiisu = na maataa-pitaa-bhaatikaadiisu
      * koci: someone, whoever
      * rakkhitaa (nominative singular of rakkhitar, agent noun) guardian, protector. Here, the word rakkhitar is derived directly from the root rakkh-, with -i- inserted before the suffix -tar. Classical grammarians classify this as kitakanaama. For more information on agent nouns, see Warder Lesson 23. For declension paradigm, see the following:
      (a) Pali Primer Lesson 28
      (b) An Elementary Pali Course Lesson XVIII
      (c) The New Pali Course Part 1 ¡ì25

      Sunakhakaale pacceka-Buddhe sinehena pavattitabhukkara.na-mattameva ta.m rakkhati.
      Nothing but only the constant barking at the pacceka Buddha with affection, in his former birth as a dog, protects him.

      [subject] sunakhakaale pacceka-Buddhe sinehena pavattitabhukkara.na-mattameva
      [predicate] ta.m rakkhati

      * sunakhakaala [tappurisa compound] literally "time of a dog"
      * mattameva = matta.m eva: nothing but only
      - ...matta (= skt. maatra) nothing but...
      - eva (adv) only

      Atheko ajapaalako anekasahassaa ajaa gocara.m nento susaanapassena gacchati.
      Now, a certain goat-herd, leading several thousand milk-goats to pasture, passes by the side of the cemetery.

      * atheko = atha + eko
      * ajaa (f) she-goat, milk-goat, nanny-goat

      (6) A phrase: (a) "Tiini phalaani pattena ariyasaavakena olokita-olokita.t.thaana.m kampi."
      YP: "The place taken care of and looked after by the noble disciple (who) attained three fruits shook."
      (b) "Sunakhakaale pacceka-Buddhe sinehena pavattitabhu`nkara.na-mattam eva ta.m rakkhati."
      YP: "The dog at the time, filled with love, goes about barking, (it) protects the Pacceka-Buddhas so."
      YP: bhu`nkara.na [PED] barking.
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 26, 2011
        Thanks Nina for the explanation. You certainly know more about this material (Abhidhamma) than I do,

        Metta, Bryan