Re: The New Pali Course Part III [47/120]

    Message 1 of 102 , Jun 4, 2011
      Dear Nina and Bryan,

      thank you for another interesting discussion. I agree with Bryan, this is simply a sandhi by convention.

      aagatattha = aagataa attha, I guess the 'aaa' in the union aagataaattha results in the elision, thereby giving us 'aagatattha'.

      'attha' is second person, plural, present indicative of 'atthi'.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Levman wrote:

      Would it not just be aagata (past participle) + attha (second person plural, present indicative, with aa lengthened because of following -ti)?

      This is a very common construction in Skt. Kimartham aagataa.h stha? (lit. "Why are you come?")

      >> (5) "Atha te devii pucchi: Ki.m kaara.naa aagatatthaati?"

      > N: Then the devas asked: why have you come?
      > Not sure about aagatatthaa. The ending -atthaa points to a perfect tense?
      > Ki.m kaara.naa: by reason of what, why.
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 26 8:46 AM
        Thanks Nina for the explanation. You certainly know more about this material (Abhidhamma) than I do,

        Metta, Bryan