Re: [Pali] Re: The New Pali Course Part III [45/120]

  • Mahinda Palihawadana
    Message 1 of 102 , Jun 2 7:06 AM
      On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Ong Yong Peng <palismith@...> wrote:

      > Citta the householder entered the great road of the Buddhas. (here
      > referring to the noble eightfold path)
      >
      > Lastly, can someone kindly explain the compound 'olokita-olokita.t.thaana',
      > particularly the repeating 'olokita'. Thank you.

      M: (1) I think, when the reference is to Citta, the narrative shifts from
      the general to the particular. So we should say, the great path of the
      Buddha, i.e. the space left for the Buddha on this occasion. I also think
      that this refers to that physical space, not the Ariyan Path, since Citta as
      an anaagaamin was already on that Path.
      (2) The repetition of 'olokita' is to give the sense of 'every', a common
      feature in Pali, Skt etc. "Every place (that he) looked at".

      Mahinda

      > .

    • Bryan Levman
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 26, 2011
        Thanks Nina for the explanation. You certainly know more about this material (Abhidhamma) than I do,

        Metta, Bryan