Re: MN 62: Mahaaraahulovaada sutta.m [6b]

  • Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 70 , Dec 29, 2002
      Dear Nina and friends,

      thanks for the additional comments and reflections. Hence,

      Ko - (pronoun interrogative) can be taken as who (masc. sing.)
      [see also Warder Ch12 for more info.]

      The entire sutta to-date will be:

      The Greater Instruction to Rahula

      Thus have I heard. At one time the Blessed One stayed in the garden
      of Anathapindika, in Jeta's forest, near Savatthi. Then, when it was
      morning, the Blessed One, having dressed and taken his robe and bowl,
      entered Saavatthi for alms. Venerable Raahula too, when it was
      morning, having dressed and taken his robe and bowl, followed the
      Blessed One closely from behind. And then the Blessed one, looking
      back towards Rahula, addressed him:

      "Rahula, whatever form, - past, future or present, internal or
      external, gross or subtle, base or exalted, whether it is far or
      near, - all form should be seen as it really is with right wisdom in
      such a way: "This is not mine, I am not this, this is not me".

      "Form only, Blessed One? Form only, Sugata [the Well-gone, see 1]?"

      "Also feeling, apperception, determinations and consciousness,
      Rahula, as well as form."

      Then the venerable Rahula thought, "Who indeed [nu from n'ajja],
      after being personally exhorted by the Blessed One himself today,
      would go into the village for alms?" Turning back, he sat down at the
      foot of a certain tree, crossed his legs and, keeping his body
      upright, established mindfulness before him. The venerable Sariputta
      saw the venerable Rahula seated at the foot of that tree, cross-
      legged and body upright with mindfulness established before him.
      Having seen the venerable Rahula, he addressed him: "Cultivate the
      development of mindfulness on in and out breathing, Rahula. The
      development ofmindfulness on in and out breathing, Rahula, is of
      great fruit and profit."

      [1] Sugataa - Frequent epithet of the Buddha.
      Common renderings:
      I: emphasis on the '-gata'
      the Well-gone.
      the Well-farer (Rhys Davids, Woodward, Horner, Walshe, Norman.
      Most common PTS rendering).
      II: emphasis on the 'su-'
      the Sublime One (~Naa.namoli)
      the Fortunate One (Bodhi)
      the Blissful One

      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 16, 2003
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks a lot for your help, Nina. I have done the compilation and it
        is now available here:
        http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/strans/stransload.php?page=mn062s04

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        > > For "tejo", would you say that "fire" is a better word
        that "heat" as Buddhadatta explains tejodhaatu as the element of heat?
        > N: The element of fire represents the characteristic of heat,
        manifesting itself as heat or cold. Cold: a matter of degree of this
        element. It is experienced through the bodysense, also the internal
        heat. Rahula had to know both the internal and external heat, so that
        he would know: internal or external, it is the same, just an element,
        and this would help him to be less attached to attabhaava, the body.
        > Since Fire is more symbolic, I am inclined to the word heat or
        temperature.
        > But temperature may be controversial.
        >
        > > Y: Do you think that we can make use of parenthesis in this case
        to give the exploded meaning of the Pali term, such as whereby (one)
        is heated, and whereby (one) is digested (, aged and consumed)
        > N: one is not digested, but the food, that what is eaten, is
        digested. The food is consumed. But the body is aging by the element
        of heat. Thus, this way may not be so satisfactory.