A Frequency Dictionary of Pali: Core Vocabulary for Learners

  • bkhpali
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2011
      Dear Friends,

      I just stumbled upon this on Amazon:
      A Frequency Dictionary of Pali: Core Vocabulary for Learners[Paperback]
      Kurt Schmidt (Author)

      http://www.amazon.com/Frequency-Dictionary-Pali-Vocabulary-Learners/dp/145387013X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

      I searched in this group but didn't find anything about it. Looks like it was published Oct 2010. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it useful?

      This book:Pali - Buddha's Language: A complete teach yourself course for beginners in 10 simple lessons, is written by the same author.

      Best wishes,
      BKh
    • SARAH CONNELL
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2011
        Dear BKh, Nina and group,
        I only recently joined this group as I desire to learn to read the Pali texts. I
        just perused the Amazon site which allowed me to preview some of the book you
        mentioned, BKh. It looks as though it may be of a help to me.I am in the process
        of moving at the end of the month but plan to order this book then. It also
        clarified for me some of the grammar used in Pali. I have been following a
        discussion between Nina and Hun on the DSG group re Anusaya and use of ablative.
        I believe that the many years (10 years) of study of the Latin language will be
        of benefit to me as it appears that its grammar structure is similar to the
        structure in Pali. Please correct me if I am wrong on that, Nina.

        May you be well and happy and always smiling,

        Sarah Jane

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2011
          Dear Sarah C,
          Welcome here, good to see you.
          Latin and Greek help as a foundation. One acquires a certain skill to
          look at constructions, looking at the verb that is at the end, etc.
          But still we have to study Pali grammar.
          I hope you found your way on the homepage: put the cursor on the
          green bar at the top for drop down menues and under Pali scope you
          will find several grammars.
          Success with your study.
          You can always ask questions here.
          Nina.
          Op 6-mei-2011, om 9:18 heeft SARAH CONNELL het volgende geschreven: