Re: [Pali] Pali canon editions

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2011
      http://www.dhammakaya.net/news/481102_PaliText.php

      Originally, the Palitext Computerization Project was initiated in 1989
      solely by the Dhammakaya Foundation. Later, it was developed under the
      co-operation between the Pali Text Society (P.T.S.) and the Dhammakaya
      Foundation. The memorandum of understanding for the Palitext version 1.0 was
      signed on 22 nd April 1996 .

      <http://www.dhammakaya.net/news/481102_PaliText.php>Dhammakaya Foundation
      has a policy of ongoing development of the Palitext database pending
      permission by the Pali Text Society including the availability in more
      various languages i.e. Cambodian, Singhalese, Laotian, Burmese and Siam
      (Thai).

      On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> wrote:

      > Dear Brian,
      >
      > Apparently, the Dhammakaya people took the liberty to digitize much if not
      > all of the PTS materials.
      >
      > I'm not sure how it turned out later. As far as I know the PTS has never
      > taken legal action against anyone, esp a Buddhist organization which should
      > know better :)
      >
      > For years I have tried to locate these materials, too. Surely someone out
      > there has them or info on them. Do inform us please.
      >
      > With metta,
      >
      > Piya
      >

      > On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > Dear Piya,
      > >
      > > Yes I am familiar with the Sutta Central which is very useful for
      > > Pali-Tibetan-Sanskrit-Chinese correspondences. Thanks for mentioning it.
      > >
      > > I am very interested in this disk published by the PTS and Dhammakaya
      > > Foundation in 1996 - it apparently contains the complete PTS edition of
      > the
      > > Pali canon in a CDROM which would be very useful (as I believe the PTS
      > > edition has more variant readings - i. e. they used more manuscripts -
      > than
      > > the others). I have put in a request to get it from our library's
      > > inter-library loan (as PTS in the US says they don't have it) and I will
      > > report to the group if it still exists,
      > >
      > > Metta, Bryan

    • Bryan Levman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2011
        Hi Piya,

        According to WorldCat, the following libraries have a copy of the CDROM:

        The Claremont Schoolof Theorlogy Library
        Smith College
        Brigham Young University Library

        These are all in the US. My library (University of Toronto) is trying to get a copy, so I will let you know if I'm successful

        Metta, Bryan

        ___

      • Bryan Levman
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2011
          Thanks Lennart,

          Do you know when Version 2 is supposed to come out? the link on the page you sent doesn't seem to go anywhere? Bryan