Re: [Pali] Pali canon editions

    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2011
      Dear Brian,

      Apparently, the Dhammakaya people took the liberty to digitize much if not
      all of the PTS materials.

      I'm not sure how it turned out later. As far as I know the PTS has never
      taken legal action against anyone, esp a Buddhist organization which should
      know better :)

      For years I have tried to locate these materials, too. Surely someone out
      there has them or info on them. Do inform us please.

      With metta,

      Piya

      On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...> wrote:

      > Dear Piya,
      >
      > Yes I am familiar with the Sutta Central which is very useful for
      > Pali-Tibetan-Sanskrit-Chinese correspondences. Thanks for mentioning it.
      >
      > I am very interested in this disk published by the PTS and Dhammakaya
      > Foundation in 1996 - it apparently contains the complete PTS edition of the
      > Pali canon in a CDROM which would be very useful (as I believe the PTS
      > edition has more variant readings - i. e. they used more manuscripts - than
      > the others). I have put in a request to get it from our library's
      > inter-library loan (as PTS in the US says they don't have it) and I will
      > report to the group if it still exists,
      >
      > Metta, Bryan

      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644
      hpl: 8211 0879
      Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2011
        http://www.dhammakaya.net/news/481102_PaliText.php

        Originally, the Palitext Computerization Project was initiated in 1989
        solely by the Dhammakaya Foundation. Later, it was developed under the
        co-operation between the Pali Text Society (P.T.S.) and the Dhammakaya
        Foundation. The memorandum of understanding for the Palitext version 1.0 was
        signed on 22 nd April 1996 .

        <http://www.dhammakaya.net/news/481102_PaliText.php>Dhammakaya Foundation
        has a policy of ongoing development of the Palitext database pending
        permission by the Pali Text Society including the availability in more
        various languages i.e. Cambodian, Singhalese, Laotian, Burmese and Siam
        (Thai).

        On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Piya Tan <dharmafarer@...> wrote:

        > Dear Brian,
        >
        > Apparently, the Dhammakaya people took the liberty to digitize much if not
        > all of the PTS materials.
        >
        > I'm not sure how it turned out later. As far as I know the PTS has never
        > taken legal action against anyone, esp a Buddhist organization which should
        > know better :)
        >
        > For years I have tried to locate these materials, too. Surely someone out
        > there has them or info on them. Do inform us please.
        >
        > With metta,
        >
        > Piya
        >

        > On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        > > Dear Piya,
        > >
        > > Yes I am familiar with the Sutta Central which is very useful for
        > > Pali-Tibetan-Sanskrit-Chinese correspondences. Thanks for mentioning it.
        > >
        > > I am very interested in this disk published by the PTS and Dhammakaya
        > > Foundation in 1996 - it apparently contains the complete PTS edition of
        > the
        > > Pali canon in a CDROM which would be very useful (as I believe the PTS
        > > edition has more variant readings - i. e. they used more manuscripts -
        > than
        > > the others). I have put in a request to get it from our library's
        > > inter-library loan (as PTS in the US says they don't have it) and I will
        > > report to the group if it still exists,
        > >
        > > Metta, Bryan

      • Bryan Levman
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2011
          Hi Piya,

          According to WorldCat, the following libraries have a copy of the CDROM:

          The Claremont Schoolof Theorlogy Library
          Smith College
          Brigham Young University Library

          These are all in the US. My library (University of Toronto) is trying to get a copy, so I will let you know if I'm successful

          Metta, Bryan

          ___

        • Bryan Levman
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2011
            Thanks Lennart,

            Do you know when Version 2 is supposed to come out? the link on the page you sent doesn't seem to go anywhere? Bryan