The New Pali Course Part III [46/120]

    Message 1 of 102 , May 1 3:01 AM
      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter IV Analysis of Sentences

      (4) A phrase,
      (5) A compound noun, or
      (6) A clause connected by a relative pronoun.

      Examples in order:-

      (1) Balavaa puriso mahanta.m rukkha.m aaruhati.
      YP: The powerful man climbs the big tree.
      (2) Raajaa Ajaatasattu Vedehiiputto attano pitara.m Se.niya.m Bimbisaara.m jiivitaa voropesi.
      YP: King Ajatasattu, son of Vedehii, deprived his father General Bimbisara of (his) life.
      YP: According to DPPN, Vedehii means a wise woman.
      (3) Gahapatino putto tassa go.ne pahari.
      YP: The householder's son hit his oxen.
      (4) Vihaara.m gato raajaa Pasenadi Kosalo dhamma.m desenta.m Bhagavanta.m passi.
      YP: Gone to the monastery, King Pasenadi (of) Kosala watched the Blessed One preaching.
      (5) Sabbaala`nkaara-patima.n.dito Kaali`ngo Cakkavattii Kelaasakuu.ta-pa.tibhaaga.m gajaratana.m aaruyha agamaasi.
      YP: The completely ornament-decorated Kalinga sage-ruler ascended the elephant-jewel resembling the peak of Mount Kailash and went (away).
      YP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kailash
      (6) (a) Attributive to the subject:
      "Sukha.m supanti munayo
      Ye itthiisu na bajjhare."
      YP: "Sleep (in) bliss the sages
      who have not been bound in women."
      (b) to the object:
      "Yo me ~naa.na.m pakittesi pasanno sena cetasaa,
      Tam aha.m kittayissaami."
      YP: "Whatever / to me / wisdom / proclaimed / clear / ??? / by the mind
      that I shall relate."
      YP: need help with 'sena'.
      YP: see PED kitteti for kittayissaami.

      The Predicate and its Extension

      71. The Predicate is always a verb. It may be enlarged, extended, or modified by an adverb or any word or words equivalent to an adverb. Such extensions are called Adverbial Adjuncts.

      The adverbial adjunct may be:-

      * Feel free to try translating the Pali sentences below. *

      (1) An adverb: "Sukha.m supanti munayo", or
      (2) An adverbial phrase: Bhagavati Jetavane viharante bahuu deva-manussaa ta.m namassi.msu.

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 26, 2011
        Thanks Nina for the explanation. You certainly know more about this material (Abhidhamma) than I do,

        Metta, Bryan