Re: [Pali] Pali canon editions

    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2011
      Dear Bryan,

      Looks like you have listed the four most usable Tipitakas online. I'm also
      looking for the Laotian Canon, and also the Khmer Canon, not sure if either
      has been digitalized. Again I'm not sure if the Vietnamese have a Pali
      Canon.

      There is the Sutta Central which is very useful in showing correspondences
      between the Pali texts and other ancient languages:
      http://www.suttacentral.net/. You might already know about this.
      With metta,

      Piya
      On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...>wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > I am sending the below email again, as I am not sure it got through. My
      > copy ended up in my SPAM folder for some reason,
      >
      > Bryan
      >
      > Dear Friends,
      >
      > I have been looking into the various editions of the canon available:
      >
      > 1) there is the Burmese sixth council Chaṭṭha Saṅgaayana,
      > www.tipitaka.org/romn/
      >
      > 2) the Sri Lanka Jayanti edition, www.bodhgayanews.net/pali.htm
      >
      > 3) the Thailand edition, www.tipitakastudies.net/tipitaka/11M/3/3.8
      >
      > Is anyone aware of the Cambodian edition and whether this is on line?
      >
      > Also I have come across something called PALI TEXT version 1.0: CD-ROM
      > Database of the Entire Buddhist Pali Canon which I believe is the PTS
      > edition. Does anyone know if this is available on line? or must it be
      > purchased?
      >
      > Has anyone ever seen an edition of the Laos or Vietnamese canon?
      >
      > Thanks for your help,
      >
      > Metta,
      >
      > Bryan

      The Minding Centre
      Singapore 650644
      hpl: 8211 0879
      Sutta translation: https://dharmafarer.org

    • Bryan Levman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2011
        Dear Piya,

        Yes I am familiar with the Sutta Central which is very useful for Pali-Tibetan-Sanskrit-Chinese correspondences. Thanks for mentioning it.

        I am very interested in this disk published by the PTS and Dhammakaya Foundation in 1996 - it apparently contains the complete PTS edition of the Pali canon in a CDROM which would be very useful (as I believe the PTS edition has more variant readings - i. e. they used more manuscripts - than the others). I have put in a request to get it from our library's inter-library loan (as PTS in the US says they don't have it) and I will report to the group if it still exists,

        Metta, Bryan

        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2011
          Dear Brian,

          Apparently, the Dhammakaya people took the liberty to digitize much if not
          all of the PTS materials.

          I'm not sure how it turned out later. As far as I know the PTS has never
          taken legal action against anyone, esp a Buddhist organization which should
          know better :)

          For years I have tried to locate these materials, too. Surely someone out
          there has them or info on them. Do inform us please.

          With metta,

          Piya

          On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Bryan Levman <bryan.levman@...> wrote:

          > Dear Piya,
          >
          > Yes I am familiar with the Sutta Central which is very useful for
          > Pali-Tibetan-Sanskrit-Chinese correspondences. Thanks for mentioning it.
          >
          > I am very interested in this disk published by the PTS and Dhammakaya
          > Foundation in 1996 - it apparently contains the complete PTS edition of the
          > Pali canon in a CDROM which would be very useful (as I believe the PTS
          > edition has more variant readings - i. e. they used more manuscripts - than
          > the others). I have put in a request to get it from our library's
          > inter-library loan (as PTS in the US says they don't have it) and I will
          > report to the group if it still exists,
          >
          > Metta, Bryan

        • Lennart Lopin
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2011
            http://www.dhammakaya.net/news/481102_PaliText.php

            Originally, the Palitext Computerization Project was initiated in 1989
            solely by the Dhammakaya Foundation. Later, it was developed under the
            co-operation between the Pali Text Society (P.T.S.) and the Dhammakaya
            Foundation. The memorandum of understanding for the Palitext version 1.0 was
            signed on 22 nd April 1996 .

            <http://www.dhammakaya.net/news/481102_PaliText.php>Dhammakaya Foundation
            has a policy of ongoing development of the Palitext database pending
            permission by the Pali Text Society including the availability in more
            various languages i.e. Cambodian, Singhalese, Laotian, Burmese and Siam
            (Thai).

            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2011
              Hi Piya,

              According to WorldCat, the following libraries have a copy of the CDROM:

              The Claremont Schoolof Theorlogy Library
              Smith College
              Brigham Young University Library

              These are all in the US. My library (University of Toronto) is trying to get a copy, so I will let you know if I'm successful

              Metta, Bryan

              ___

            • Bryan Levman
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2011
                Thanks Lennart,

                Do you know when Version 2 is supposed to come out? the link on the page you sent doesn't seem to go anywhere? Bryan