Re: The New Pali Course Part III [45/120]

    Message 1 of 102 , Apr 30, 2011
      Dear Nina and friends,

      thank you for translating the two Pali sentences, Nina.

      Thanks also for flagging about the first two sentences which I attempted. I guess we have to indulge in the literature again. This is the first time I fired up CSCD on my new Windows 7 system. I am surprised the program works relatively stable.

      A search shows that these two sentences are from the Dhammapada commentary, Dhammapada-atthakatha.

      The first sentence is from Baalavagga/Cittagahapativatthu referencing verses 73&74: asanta.m bhaavanamiccheyya...

      [Comm.] Buddhaana.m sammukha.t.thaane pana .thitaa vaa nisinnaa vaa ito vaa etto vaa na honti, buddhaviithiyaa dviisu passesu niccalaava ti.t.thanti. Citto gahapati mahanta.m buddhaviithi.m okkami. Tiini phalaani pattena ariyasaavakena olokita-olokita.t.thaana.m kampi.

      The second sentence is from Appamaadavagga/Saamaavatiivatthu referencing verses 21-23: appamado amatapada.m...

      [Comm.] "Nanu cassa neva maataa na pitaa na bhaatikaadiisu koci rakkhitaa naama atthi, ko ta.m rakkhati"ti? Sunakhakaale pacceka-Buddhe sinehena pavattitabhukkara.na-mattameva ta.m rakkhati. Atheko ajapaalako anekasahassaa ajaa gocara.m nento susaanapassena gacchati.

      I invite all to contribute to this, or I will revisit this sometime in the week.

      I am still going over the other sentences which are difficult. Like: "Sunakhakaale pacceka-Buddhe sinehena pavattitabhu`nkara.na-mattam eva ta.m rakkhati."

      > YP: "The dog at the time, filled with love, goes about barking, (it) protects the Pacceka-Buddhas so."

      Is kala here not an attribute of the dog, meaning black? But the whole construction is difficult.

      Also I am not sure about olokita.t.thaana.m in the first sentence.
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 26 8:46 AM
        Thanks Nina for the explanation. You certainly know more about this material (Abhidhamma) than I do,

        Metta, Bryan