The New Pali Course Part III [45/120]

    Message 1 of 102 , Apr 10, 2011
      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter IV Analysis of Sentences

      (6) A phrase: (a) "Tiini phalaani pattena ariyasaavakena olokita-olokita.t.thaana.m kampi."
      YP: "The place taken care of and looked after by the noble disciple (who) attained three fruits shook."
      (b) "Sunakhakaale pacceka-Buddhe sinehena pavattitabhu`nkara.na-mattam eva ta.m rakkhati."
      YP: "The dog at the time, filled with love, goes about barking, (it) protects the Pacceka-Buddhas so."
      YP: bhu`nkara.na [PED] barking.

      69. While dividing a sentence into two parts the object was put under the predicate. The object stands as a completion to the predicate.

      The object may be (1) a noun, (2) a pronoun, (3) an adjective used as a noun, (4) a gerund, (5) an infinitive, or (6) a phrase, as was stated in the case of a subject.

      (1) Noun: Puriso rukkha.m chindati.
      YP: The man cuts the tree.
      (2) Pronoun: Te ma.m pahari.msu.
      YP: They hit me.
      (3) Adjective: Coraa dhanavanta.m hani.msu.
      The bandits killed the wealthy (man).
      (4) Gerund: Thero tassa aagamana.m paccaasi.msati.
      The elder waits for his arrival.
      * Feel free to try translating the Pali sentences below. *
      (5) Infinitive: Na visahati bhottu.m.
      (6) Phrase: Aha.m Jetavane vasanta.m Bhagavanta.m passi.m.

      Enlargement

      70. Both the subject and the object may be enlarged by attributive adjuncts. The attributive may be:

      (1) An adjective,
      (2) A noun is apposition,
      (3) A noun or pronoun in the possessive case, ...

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 26, 2011
        Thanks Nina for the explanation. You certainly know more about this material (Abhidhamma) than I do,

        Metta, Bryan