Re: [Pali] Vimaanavatthu

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 9, 2011
      Dear Tharpa,
      I have this in hard cover and also 'Vimaana Stories, the commentary
      translated by Peter Masefield. When I compare the first Vimaana in
      Horner's translation with this commentary, the text is the same at
      the beginning, also the verses, but then there is much more
      elaboration in the Commentary translated by Masefield.
      It seems that the verses are the sutta text, because in the separate
      co. the words of the verses are elaborated on.
      Actually there is the same problem with the Jaatakas: the stories and
      the verses, and some say that the verses are the oldest. But I am
      just concerned with the contents and what I can learn from these
      texts for my daily life.
      Nina.
      Op 6-mrt-2011, om 20:49 heeft Tharpa het volgende geschreven:

      > PTS is generally pretty good about distinguishing translations of the
      > suttas from the commentaries. However, I have recently started reading
      > Vimaanavatthu: Stories of the Mansions, translated by I.B. Horner, and
      > it seems like maybe it mixes translations of the suttas and
      > commentaries
      > together.

    • BkhPali
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 11, 2011
        Dear Tharpa,

        Yes, I can confirm that only the verses are considered the
        canonical/sutta part of the Vimana stories. Same for the Dhp, Petavathu,
        Theragatha, Therigatha and Jataka. The Snp, Ud, and Itv have mixed prose
        and verse. You can confirm this if you check the DPR.

        Personally, I prefered the translation of Pv and Vv in Minor Anthologies
        Vol. IV by I.B. Horner to the more recent translation by U Ba Kyaw,
        although the latter may be more useful academically. At the
        recommendation of the monks I was with at the time, I only read the
        verses and was able to get enough meaning out of them to be useful.

        Best wishes,
        BKh

        Nina van Gorkom wrote:

        > Dear Tharpa,
        > I have this in hard cover and also 'Vimaana Stories, the commentary
        > translated by Peter Masefield. When I compare the first Vimaana in
        > Horner's translation with this commentary, the text is the same at
        > the beginning, also the verses, but then there is much more
        > elaboration in the Commentary translated by Masefield.
        > It seems that the verses are the sutta text, because in the separate
        > co. the words of the verses are elaborated on.
        > Actually there is the same problem with the Jaatakas: the stories and
        > the verses, and some say that the verses are the oldest. But I am
        > just concerned with the contents and what I can learn from these
        > texts for my daily life.
        > Nina.
        > Op 6-mrt-2011, om 20:49 heeft Tharpa het volgende geschreven:
        >
        > > PTS is generally pretty good about distinguishing translations of the
        > > suttas from the commentaries. However, I have recently started reading
        > > Vimaanavatthu: Stories of the Mansions, translated by I.B. Horner, and
        > > it seems like maybe it mixes translations of the suttas and
        > > commentaries
        > > together.

      • tharpachozang
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 12, 2011
          Thanks, Nina. I hope that someday someone will do a new translation of the Vimaanavatthu, separate from the commentaries. But for the time being, I'll just read the verses as Suttas.

          The problem with the Jatakas is similar, but at least the Jatakas are canonical. I'll deal with that issue when I get to them.

          I don't have much respect for the Commentaries at all. Not that there's not some dhamma in them, but overall, they're not a whole lot better than popular Buddhist books.

          Reading the Suttas (or even the Agamas) and the Vinaya (whether Sthiravadin or Sarvastavadin) is kind of like eating cleaned rice. You might occasionally come across a piece of matter in them that's not rice, but overall it's just rice. Reading the Commentaries is like eating rice mixed with compost and gravel. There is rice in it, which you can pick out and eat, but if you just put on a blindfold and get a big spoon and dig in, you're as likely to get a mouthful of non-rice as you are rice.

          Tharpa

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 19, 2011
            Dear Tharpa,
            Op 12-mrt-2011, om 20:53 heeft tharpachozang het volgende geschreven:

            > I don't have much respect for the Commentaries at all. Not that
            > there's not some dhamma in them, but overall, they're not a whole
            > lot better than popular Buddhist books.
            ------
            N: That is all right. I know that there are different opinions about
            the value of the ancient commentaries.
            One can study the Buddhist councils, and different historical
            arguments concerning their authenticity, but for me personally, I
            like to read the texts themselves. A sutta and then the explanation
            of the commentary, and also the Abhidhamma books and their
            commentaries, and I often find that I would miss some essential
            points without them. But best is to find out for oneself whether the
            commentaries are valuable or not. Do they help for our daily life, do
            they help to know ourselves better?
            We are all different, born with different accumulated inclinations.
            The great commentator Buddhaghosa spoke about citta as being vicitta,
            varied. The cittas of people are so varied. Because of accumulated
            kamma and defilements. When one thinks about this it is really amazing.

          • tharpachozang
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 20, 2011
              Dear Bhante,

              Thanks for your response. As near as I can figure out, U Ba Kyaw's work is a translation of the commentaries, not the Vimaanavatthu itself, so it's not of interest to me at this point.

              For the time being I will just read the verses, though Dr. Masefield's response still makes me wonder. I know hardly any Pali, but if I get the time maybe I'll take a look at the Pali Vimaanavatthu and see if I can figure out the question.

              Also, thanks for the tip about the DPR. I just installed it, will try it out later.

              Mudita,

              Tharpa

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 28, 2013
                A follow-up:

                I just start reading PTS's big three-volume translation of the Jatakas. 95% of the time, PTS is honest about their titles. If a book is part of the Tipitika, then the translation is only a translation of the Tipitika, uncorrupted by commentary. Certainly the translators refer to the commentaries when making their translations, sometimes overriding them, and sometimes there's a little bit of commentary in the footnotes, which is great, but there's no way anyone could mistake commentary for Tipitika.

                Reaching the Khuddhaka, I was surprised to discover that the PTS Vimaanavatthu translation was not just Tipitika, but had commentary mixed in. When I started reading the PTS Jataka translation, and got to the eighth sutta and it seemed to be speaking in the translator's voice, I became suspicious and got out my trusty DPR and came to the startling conclusion that the Jatakas are only a few verses each, having nothing to do with previous incarnations. The fat three-volume set is mostly commentary. A translation of the Jatakas would be a single slim volume.

                This was startling to me because I had always heard that the Jatakas are about previous incarnations of the bodhisatta, and now I realize that that's just commentary. The Jatakas themselves are just a few verses each, similar to the Dhammapada, etc. Nina suggested that the Jataka verses might be older, but I hadn't realized that only the verses were in the Tipitika.

                I hope that one day a translation of the Jatakas free of commentary is produced. For now I will just read the verses and skip over the commentary.

                If I'm mistaken about this that only the verses are in the Tipitika, then correct me, but I've double-checked on Metta.lk and the Jatakas appear to be very small and only the verses.
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 6, 2013
                  Dear Tharpachozang,
                  Op 28-jun-2013, om 19:10 heeft tharpachozang het volgende geschreven:

                  > If I'm mistaken about this that only the verses are in the
                  > Tipitika, then correct me, but I've double-checked on Metta.lk and
                  > the Jatakas appear to be very small and only the verses.
                  -------
                  N: This need not be any problem. In reality there are no persons, no
                  deities, only citta, cetasika and ruupa. What can I learn from the
                  Jaatakas and commentary? They teach me how to develop what is
                  wholesome, sobhana cetasikas, in daily life. That is what really
                  matters. When reading we can always consider: what is real now and
                  what can I learn here?
                  Some people doubt about the truthfulness of the commentaries, but
                  then, let us read them and see what they tell us. That is more
                  convincing than historical arguments. Any teaching that helps me to
                  understand reality now I find reliable, because I can check it myself.

                • a6a44357
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 6, 2013
                    Dear Pali group
                    I am most interested to learn the question that this reply from Nina refers
                    to, I unfortunately missed it.
                    Would you please be so kind as to send me a link to it.
                    I usually stay in the background but this answer from Nina looks important,
                    too important to miss.
                    Thank You,
                    Respectfully
                    R Arber

                    Op 28-jun-2013, om 19:10 heeft tharpachozang het volgende geschreven:

                    > If I'm mistaken about this that only the verses are in the Tipitika,
                    > then correct me, but I've double-checked on Metta.lk and the Jatakas
                    > appear to be very small and only the verses.
                    -------
                    N: This need not be any problem. In reality there are no persons, no
                    deities, only citta, cetasika and ruupa. What can I learn from the Jaatakas
                    and commentary? They teach me how to develop what is wholesome, sobhana
                    cetasikas, in daily life. That is what really matters. When reading we can
                    always consider: what is real now and what can I learn here?
                    Some people doubt about the truthfulness of the commentaries, but then, let
                    us read them and see what they tell us. That is more convincing than
                    historical arguments. Any teaching that helps me to understand reality now I
                    find reliable, because I can check it myself.

                  • Kumara Bhikkhu
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 7, 2013
                      You got it right. The actual Jataka text consists of only verses. You
                      may notice that sometimes the story does not even gel with the
                      verses. The rather strained connection gives the impression of a
                      force fit. The is parallel to the Dhammapada verses and the stories
                      that are attached to them.

                      While the word Jataka has popularly been translated as Birth Stories,
                      per se it only means "born; arisen". My teacher, Bhante Aggacitta,
                      said that it originally probably refers to the verses that has
                      spontaneously arisen in the mind of the person/people who uttered these words.

                      Btw, I'd like to invite you all to www.Dhammawheel.com. It's a better
                      platform for discussions, and more active.

                      kb

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 12, 2013
                        Thank you, Bhante, I appreciate your response. What seems to make the Jatakas different from all of the other books in the Sutta Pitaka, is that most of the verses seem to *demand* commentary. That is, the verses contain references to proper names, and so they are unintelligible by themselves. Different than say, the verses in the Dhammapada, which have tremendous Dhammic value and do not seem to require commentary. So much so, that it is difficult to read the Jataka verses systematically without knowing the background stories.

                        Do you have any thoughts on what this means, why the verses in the Jatakas contain proper names and do not seem to stand by themselves, unlike all of the other books in the Sutta Pitaka?

                        I appreciate the invitation to DhammaWheel. I have not checked it out yet, but one thing I like about this group is that because it has Pali in the name it seems to get a higher level of discussion than you sometimes get in other Buddhist groups.

                        Mudita,

                        tharpa

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 13, 2013
                          Dear Arber,
                          In which way can I helpyou?
                          I see that the question is already attached to.
                          Nina.
                          Op 6-jul-2013, om 18:39 heeft a6a44357 het volgende geschreven:

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 16, 2013
                            Dear Robert Arber,
                            Thanks for your good question.
                            Op 15 jul 2013, om 05:49 heeft a6a44357 het volgende geschreven:

                            > � In reality there are no persons, no deities, only citta, cetasika and ruupa. � What does this mean please?
                            ---------
                            N: We believe that Robert sees, Nina sees, but in reality seeing is one moment of consciousness, citta, that sees. It sees for an extremely short moment and is then gone completely. It is the same with hearing, thinking, any moment of experience. They are all elements, arising because of conditions. They arise for a very short moment and are then gone. It seems that seeing lasts, but in reality it is succeeded by other moments of citta, such as thinking about what is seen. They are all different moments and none of them lasts.
                            This is not theory. We shall have more understanding of what citta is if we are aware of seeing at this very moment. It arises because of visible object or colour and eyesense. It just sees visible object, it does not see a person or thing. There is no one there only different cittas, accompanied by different cetasikas, mental factors. Visible object and eyesense are ruupa, physical phenomena and these do not know anything. In fact our life is naama, realities which experience something, and ruupas which do not experience anything. Just elements arising because of conditions.
                            Seeing is one citta and when it arises there cannot be hearing at the same time. Seeing experiences visible object. Hearing is another citta that experiences sound. It may seem that we can see and hear at the same time, but this is a delusion. Each citta can experience only one object at a time, and it falls away immediately. After it has fallen away we think of what has been seen and heard, and then we live in the world of concepts.
                            When realities are taken as a mass, a collection, there is the world of many people. Cittas arise and fall away in succession very rapidly, they are like a flash. That is why we have a concept or idea of what appears as something permanent. We have to be brave in order to understand that what appears is just a reality. We need courage to let go of wrong view that clings to the idea of person or �self�. Right understanding leads to detachment, but our nature is attachment.
                          • a6a44357
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 16, 2013
                              Dear Nina van Gorkom
                              Thank you for your kind reply, I would very much like to follow up on your
                              answer is there a book you could recommend please.
                              Most grateful,
                              Robert Arber

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
                                I get what you mean. As they say in America, beats me. (shrug)

                                If you start a topic on this in DW (under Classical Theravada), you
                                might get an answer. Members there are less orthodox.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 30, 2013
                                  Op 17 jul 2013, om 04:45 heeft a6a44357 het volgende geschreven:

                                  > Thank you for your kind reply, I would very much like to follow up on your
                                  > answer is there a book you could recommend please.
                                  -------
                                  N: Would you like to try my Introducion to Abhidhamma, it may be in the files section of our list.
                                  Or try Zolag: <http://www.zolag.co.uk/index.html> You could try my 'Abhidhamma in Daily Life'.