Re: [Pali] samādhi - how do we tell whether it re fers to sammā samādhi or the samādhi gr oup (sammā samādhi + sammā sati + s amma vāyāmo)

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2011
      Dear Frank,
      Op 26-feb-2011, om 19:51 heeft frank het volgende geschreven:

      > The only thing in that sutta specified as the way
      > leading to the ending of the Asavas and Aviija is the noble eightfold
      > path. I thought about that for quite some time, and the conclusion
      > that
      > I came to is that the Buddha, as brilliant and wise as he was, would
      > have used language to explain in more detail if it were possible to do
      > so. The fact that he didn't leads me to conclude all we can do is make
      > sure our samaadhi is as strong as possible and directly penetrate
      > avijja
      > and destruction of the asavas.
      -------
      N: You quote an interesting sutta, worth thinking it over. As you
      say, the eightfold Path is the only way leading to the end of
      defilements.
      Only pa~n~naa, vijjaa, can eliminate avijjaa. Understanding realities
      as they are can eventually lead to the destruction of the aasavas.
      Some people want to try very hard to concentrate or make
      concentration arise. Then there is a danger of an idea of self doing
      things. We may forget that samaadhi is anattaa. If vipassanaa
      pa~n~naa accompanies the kusala citta, pa~n~naa can discern the true
      nature of the dhamma that appears at that moment. Samaadhi
      accompanies the citta already since it arises with each citta.
      Samaadhi focusses on the object experienced by citta. I think that
      there is no need to 'try' to concentrate, samaadhi arises because of
      its own conditions.