Question 4 about "Visudhi~naan.a-kathaa "

  • tzungkuen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2002
      Dear Dhammafriends
      There is a sentence in the Visudhi~naan.a-kathaa by Mahasi Sayadaw:

      Tattha hi iriyaapatha-pabba-sampaja~n~napabba-dhaatumanasikaarapabbaana.m vasena manasikarontassa pavattasamaadhi ekantena khaoikaamaadhi yeva naama, tadanantara.m lokiya-appanaa-samaadhiyaa anuppajjanato.

      (Mahasi Sayadaw The Progress of Insight , tr. by Nyanaponika Thera, Kandy: Bddhist Publication Society. 1985, p.52.)

      which Nyanaponika Thera translated as:

      “Now, in the case of the subjects dealt with in the sections of the Satipatthana Sutta on postures, clear comprehension and elements, the concentration of one who devotes himself to these exercises will be definitely only momentary concentration.”

      Ven. Nyanaponika seemed not translate the later part of this sentence, that is

      ‘tadanantara× lokiya-appan?-sam?dhiy? anuppajjanato.’ Could somebody translate it for me and tell me how to analyze the term ’anuppajjanato’ ?

      with metta

      Tzungkuen