The New Pali Course Part III [43/120]

    Message 1 of 102 , Feb 13, 2011
      The New Pali Course Part III (1950)
      Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta Maha Nayaka Thera

      Chapter IV Analysis of Sentences

      67. There are three kinds of sentences:-
      1. Simple
      2. Complex, and
      3. Compound

      1. Every sentence must contain two parts -- the subject and the predicate. A simple sentence contains only one subject and one predicate:-
      (a) Puriso khetta.m kasati.
      YP: The man ploughs the field.
      (b) "Na pupphagandho pa.tivaatam eti."
      YP: No fragrance of the flower goes against the wind."
      (c) "Ko na sammoham aapaadi?"
      YP: "Who did not meet with delusion?"
      YP: aapaadi - 3rd person singular aorist of aapajjati

      2. A complex sentence consists of a principal sentence with one or more dependent (or subordinate) sentences:
      "Sac'aaha.m geha.m gamissaami, maataapitaro ma.m tajjessanti."
      YP: "If I would go home, (my) parents will scold me."

      Here the subordinate sentence is: "Sac'aaha.m geha.m gamissaami". The other is the principal one.

      * Feel free to try translating the Pali sentences below. *

      3. A compound sentence consists of two or more simple or complex sentences joined together by means of a conjunction:-
      (a) "Thero Muulasiri.m pakkosaapesi, atha mahaajanakaayo sannipati." Here are two simple sentences connected by atha; neither of these is subordinate to the other; but they have a connection in their sense.
      (b) "Sac'assa gehadvaara.m gamissaami, imassa bhariyaa ma.m da.t.thu.m na sakkhissati; yaav'assa bhatta.m aadaaya magga.m pa.tipajjati taava idh'eva bhavissaami."

      ref: http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/synthesis/pali3.00.cdv
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 102 of 102 , Jul 26 8:46 AM
        Thanks Nina for the explanation. You certainly know more about this material (Abhidhamma) than I do,

        Metta, Bryan