New Book

  • George Bedell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2011
      Activity in Pali traditional grammar seems to be dormant at present, but the following new book recently came to my attention, and I thought some us might not know about it.

      Mahesh A. Deokar
      Technical Terms and Technique of the Pali and the Sanskrit Grammars
      Sarnath, Varanasi, India: Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies
      pp. xxii+428 2008
      HC Rp. 530; PB Rp. 380

      The book covers all major Pali grammars plus A.s.taadhyaayii (Paa.nini), Kaatantra and Caandra Sanskrit grammars. The bulk of the book is a kind of concordance of grammatical terminology. There is also a rather skimpy chapter on 'technique'. According to the Foreword by E. Kahrs, the book 'represents a landmark in Paali scholarship' and 'takes the study of the Paali significantly forward and lays the foundations for other scholars to continue work in this field.' I ordered a copy online from kkagencies.
    • Bankei
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2011
        Thank you for the info George.