Re: [Pali] a.t.thahaakaarehi

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 8, 2011
      Dear Bryan,
      Op 7-jan-2011, om 17:18 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

      > Thanks for this reference. I had not connected this with the four
      > sakkaaya
      > di.t.thi as the grammatical structure is somewhat different.
      >
      > In the sakkaaya di.t.thi,
      >
      > ruupa.m attato samanupassati, ruupavanta.m vaa attaana.m, attani
      > vaa ruupa.m,
      > ruupasmi.m vaa attaana.m. (MN 1, 300)
      >
      > we have genitive, accusative, and two locatives whereas in MN 1
      > there is an
      > accus., locative, ablative and accus. + gen. (pa.thavi.m ma~n~nati,
      > pa.thaviyaa
      > ma~n~nati, pa.thavito ma~n~nati, pa.thavi.m me'ti ma~n~nati) and no
      > mention of
      > the self which is interpolated by Venerable Bodhi in his translation.
      ------
      N You are right about the grammar. This sutta and commentaries deal
      with several ways of wrongly conceiving phenomena. One may conceive
      them with craving, with conceit and with wrong view. Ven. Bodhi has a
      long Intro. He translates co. and subco. :
      <He conceives (himself as ) earth (pa.thavi.m ma~n~nati)
      Co: Through the three conceivings he conceives "I am earth," "earth
      is mine", "another is earth", "earth belongs to another". ...>
      The subco: <..."I am earth": by this he shows the conceiving of views
      and the conceiving of conceit with an internal object, for this
      phrase implies adherence to a view of self (attaabhinivesa) or I-
      making (aha.mkara)....>
      I did not quote all, it is very long. There are many aspects to
      wrongly conceiving.

    • Bryan Levman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 8, 2011
        Hi Nina,

        Thanks very much Nina; I must study the commentary, but I don't believe there's any translation of it, so it's on my list of things to do,

        Metta, Bryan

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 9, 2011
          Dear Bryan,
          As mentioned, there is Ven. Bodhi translation of this sutta and
          commentary: "The discourse on
          the Root of Existence". BPS. But I think only in hard cover. I found
          this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_Publication_Society

          Nina.

          Op 8-jan-2011, om 23:52 heeft Bryan Levman het volgende geschreven:

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 9, 2011

            Thanks for the reference. We don't have a copy in the library so I'll have to order it, but judging from his previous work I'm sure it's very good,

            Metta, Bryan

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 10, 2011
              I believe it's the fourth book at
              http://www.bps.lk/translationsfrompali.asp (BP-210S)
              also at
              http://books.google.com/books?printsec=frontcover&id=Mia6JAaSb0AC#v=onepage&q&f=false

              Randy Graves

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 11, 2011
                Dear Randy and Nina,

                Thank you - I have found the book and ordered it from the Buddhist Publication Society,

                Metta, Bryan