pali keyboard input mapping, cst4 on windows 7 pc

  • frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2010
      Thanks Larry for the tips on getting cst4 installed on Windows 7 pc's. I
      was also inspired to finally install the pali-keyboard input software
      from the same cst4 area: http://www.tipitaka.org/keyboard/

      If I knew it was that easy to set up and start typing pali special
      characters, I would have installed that a long time ago.

      The page I listed shows the keyboard mappings, I made my own shorthand
      notes here: What I noticed is that 9 out of the 14 special characters
      map intuitively, e.g. the keyboard [a] produces " ā" with the macron, so
      we really only have to memorize or write on a little post-it note to put
      next to our keyboard the 5 miscreant special cases.

      [ctrl]+[alt]+[ ] : [y] → ñ [a] → ā [I] → ī [h] → ś [u] → ū [d] → ḍ [v] →
      ḥ [l] → ḷ [m] → ṃ

      [g] → ṅ [n] → ṇ [r] → ṛ [s] → ṣ [t] → ṭ

      [ctrl]+[alt]+[shift]+[ ] : produces uppercase version of pali letter

      14 special pali letters. 9 of 14 map intuitively
    • Bryan Levman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
        Hi Frank and Larry,

        Thanks for the info on installing the CST4 and keyboard. I have Windows 7 and
        had no trouble in installing the CST program. I'm wondering if the dictionary
        can be made to work the way Digital Pali Reader works by pointing to and
        clicking on a word. Does anyone know?

        Thanks,

        Best, Bryan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
          Hi Bryan,
          As far as I know, CST4 doesn't support the easy word click dictionary
          lookup. Lennart's Pali Text Reader http://palireader.sourceforge.net/
          uses tool tips (automatic dictionary lookup display and definition of
          word the mouse pointer hovers over is in a bubble text). On a thread a
          while back, maybe a year ago, I believe Lennart had expressed interest
          in adding that dictionary click feature to CST4, but because of rights
          issues with the organization that wrote CST4 that wasn't possible.
          The quickest way I can look up dictionary words with cst4 is keep a
          dictionary window open, on the sutta window double click on a word to
          highlight it (much faster than manually holding down left mouse button
          and grabbing the amount to mark), cntr-c to copy that marked word to
          clipboard, then ctrl-v to paste marked word to dictionary window.
          I envy those of you who only occasionally have to look up a single
          word, in which case the above is not too tedious. For those like myself
          less developed in our pali vocabulary, I found Lennart's tool "pali
          translator" to be marvelous
          http://www.nibbanam.com/pali_language_tools.html#ptrans . Basically you
          paste in a whole block (up to several paragraphs) of pali text
          (unicode), and it does a batch dictionary lookup of all the words in
          that block.

          -Frank

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2011
            Thanks Frank,

            I tried downloading Pali Translator, but it doesn't seem to run on Windows 7.
            I'll continue to use the Digital Pali Reader which works well for me,

            Metta, Bryan