Re: [Pali] why i canot open CSCD

  • Mahinda Palihawadana
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2010
      On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Dhammadarsa <dhammadaso@...> wrote:

      > Otherwise you can download version 4 from the website
      > http://tipitaka.org/cst4 and install it on your computer. I tried that,
      > but
      > found that this version did not supply all the various fonts that version 3
      > did. So I changed back to version 3.

      I also prefer version 3 particularly because it gives the releveant page
      numbers of PTS ed. etc. But it appears that version 3 cannot be operated on
      Windows 7. Could someone tell me if something can be done to make version 3
      to work on W7?

      Mahinda

    • sakyaputtiyo@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2010
        Dear Larry,
        thanks a lot for your quick help.
        i was trying to install the CSCD that i think is not compatible with Vista. we are so attached and dependent on this software. inability to install it gave me a lot of trouble. i was cruising on the word files of the CSCD i have in my computer. and this is so time consuming and uninteresting.
        now i downloaded the the desktop software cst4 from the net. it said it crashed when i was trying to open it from program files. Now i installed it in C: and it works. i liked it against the older version of cscd.by the way, is there any other version of tipitaka? 'romn'?

        Sadhu for the help
        May you be happy and wise
        Bhante Sobhana

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Larry Rosenfeld <larryrosenfeld@...> wrote:

        > Dear Bhante -
        >
        > If I may ask, are you having trouble accessing the Desktop software
        > <http://tipitaka.org/cst4> or the web-based tipitaka
        > <http://tipitaka.org/romn/>?
        >
        > If the former, I'm wondering if these caveats from the Desktop
        > software's installation page might apply:
        >
        > * Vista & Windows 7 users please note the following:*
        >
        > * The User Access Control feature prevents modification of files
        > under c:\Program Files. Easiest way around this is to install in a
        > location that's not under Program Files, like c:\CST4 or
        > c:\Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka 4.0. The other option is to install
        > in the default location, then go to the Properties of the
        > program's shortcut, Shortcut tab, click the Advanced button, then
        > check "Run as administrator".
        >
        > * The CST4 software may have some problems installing the required
        > fonts. Please install the fonts manually. The required fonts will
        > be in the folder c:\Program Files\Chattha Sangayana Tipitaka
        > 4.0\Fonts. To add a font, go to Control Panel --> Fonts. Then
        > right click and choose "Install New Font..."
        >

        > If you are trying to access the web-based CSCD tipitaka, if I may
        > suggest, might it be worthwhile trying a different web browser (e.g., if
        > you are using Internet Explorer, I'd like to suggest downloading Mozilla
        > Firefox from, e.g., http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ ) and then
        > trying to open the CSCD pages?
        >
        > Just some thoughts. Please let us know how it goes.
        >
        > May you be happy, safe and well,
        > Larry
        >

        > On 12/26/2010 10:25 PM, sakyaputtiyo@... wrote:
        > >
        > > dear dhamma friends,
        > > does anyone know why i cannot open CSCD in my computer that runs
        > > windows vista. can you suggest me something so that i can use cscd?

      • Larry Rosenfeld
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 29, 2010
          Dear Bhante -

          I am very happy to hear of your success using cst4 from your C: disk.
          Well done! (If I may share, when I loaded cst4 on my "Windows 7"
          computer, I also got a "failed to install correctly" warning, but I
          ignored it and everything appears to work fine.)

          As for other other versions of the tipitaka, please forgive my
          ignorance, but I am uncertain as to what is meant by "version." In
          terms of different scripts (other than the 'romn,' that is, "Roman"
          characters, as used in English, etc.), as you probably know (but just to
          check), the toolbar for cst4 has a "Pali script:" field which allows one
          to select from 14 scripts, such as Devanagari, Sinhala and Tibetan. As
          for other redactions of the tipitaka, I don't readily recall other
          software applications, but I generally use the following web sites:

          SLTP flat files (Metta Net): http://metta.lk/tipitaka/index.html
          SLTP correlated to English trans. (ATI):
          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sltp/
          SLTP search engine (BodhgayaNews): http://bodhgayanews.net/pali.htm

          CSCD on-line (VRI): http://tipitaka.org/romn/
          CSCD on-line search engine (VRI): http://www.tipitaka.org/search

          e-Tipitaka (Dhamma Society): http://studies.worldtipitaka.org/
          e-Tipitaka correlated to trans. & agamas:
          http://www.suttacentral.net/disp_division.php?collection_id=1&collection_name=Pali

          Perhaps there is something here that might be of use? (If anyone has
          others to add, please do :-) )

          Congratulations again on getting cst4 running successfully. Many
          blessings to you,
          Larry

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 30, 2010
            Dear Larry,
            After all, computer is a mindless material phenomena. But a good friend of ours; especially when it cooperates well with cst4. few days before someone asked me about some points on vipassana. I said wait a minute, let me search the pitaka: the word files as i could not install the CSCD. It was a research paper so the exact data together with reference page numbers were required. And it was not easy to find the informations; especially when toggling between the commentaries and sub commentaries is impossible. I was so helpless; but i managed to provide my slow help. Wherever there is will, a way will come out.
            Now i have the confidence back.

            May You be Well and Happy

          • Nyanatusita
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 8, 2011
              Dear Sakyaputtiyo and others,

              Some months ago I also tried in vain to install CSCD version 3 on my new
              computer which is running on Windows 7 home edition. I was told by
              someone connected to to the Vipassana Research Institute that the reason
              why CSCD version 3 can't be run on Windows 7 is because it is a 32 bit
              system, while Windows 7 is a 64 bits system... Perhaps it can be run on
              the professional version of Windows 7, which can apparently can run 32
              bit programs.
              The source code of CSCD version 3 is lost so that it can't be updated.
              This is a pity because CSCD 3 had some search functions which are not
              there in version 4 such as showing the contexts of search results (i.e.,
              words before and after the word searched for, etc.). I contacted the
              programmer of CSCD version 4--- Frank Snow---but although he would like
              to add these functions, he has no time to do so at the moment.

              Regards,
              Bhikkhu Nyanatusita

              > 1a.
              > Re: why i canot open CSCD <#1a> From: sakyaputtiyo@...
              > 1b.
              > Re: why i canot open CSCD <#1b> From: Larry Rosenfeld
              >
              > View All Topics
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbHBmNDNkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTEzNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDczOTQ3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNhdHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyOTM3MDM5MzQ-?xm=1&m=p&tidx=1>
              > | Create New Topic
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdW0zMDAzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTEzNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDczOTQ3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyOTM3MDM5MzQ->
              >

              > Messages
              >
              > 1a.
              >

              > Re: why i canot open CSCD
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/message/15127;_ylc=X3oDMTJyZ3FzbzByBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTEzNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDczOTQ3BG1zZ0lkAzE1MTI3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyOTM3MDM5MzQ->
              >

              > Posted by: "sakyaputtiyo@..." sakyaputtiyo@...
              > <mailto:sakyaputtiyo@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20why%20i%20canot%20open%20CSCD>
              > sakyaputtiyo <http://profiles.yahoo.com/sakyaputtiyo>
              >

              > Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:40 pm (PST)

            • Lennart Lopin
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 8, 2011
                Dear bhante,

                Any idea when, if at all, they would release CST 4 as an open source project? it would give this most valuable tool a great boost and allow others to contribute.

                metta,

                Lennart

                On Jan 8, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Nyanatusita <nyanatusita@...> wrote:

                > Dear Sakyaputtiyo and others,
                >
                > Some months ago I also tried in vain to install CSCD version 3 on my new
                > computer which is running on Windows 7 home edition. I was told by
                > someone connected to to the Vipassana Research Institute that the reason
                > why CSCD version 3 can't be run on Windows 7 is because it is a 32 bit
                > system, while Windows 7 is a 64 bits system... Perhaps it can be run on
                > the professional version of Windows 7, which can apparently can run 32
                > bit programs.
                > The source code of CSCD version 3 is lost so that it can't be updated.
                > This is a pity because CSCD 3 had some search functions which are not
                > there in version 4 such as showing the contexts of search results (i.e.,
                > words before and after the word searched for, etc.). I contacted the
                > programmer of CSCD version 4--- Frank Snow---but although he would like
                > to add these functions, he has no time to do so at the moment.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
                >
                > > 1a.
                > > Re: why i canot open CSCD <#1a> From: sakyaputtiyo@...
                > > 1b.
                > > Re: why i canot open CSCD <#1b> From: Larry Rosenfeld
                > >
                > > View All Topics
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbHBmNDNkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTEzNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDczOTQ3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNhdHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyOTM3MDM5MzQ-?xm=1&m=p&tidx=1>
                > > | Create New Topic
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdW0zMDAzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTEzNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDczOTQ3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyOTM3MDM5MzQ->
                > >

                > > Messages
                > >
                > > 1a.
                > >

                > > Re: why i canot open CSCD
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/message/15127;_ylc=X3oDMTJyZ3FzbzByBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTEzNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDczOTQ3BG1zZ0lkAzE1MTI3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyOTM3MDM5MzQ->
                > >

                > > Posted by: "sakyaputtiyo@..." sakyaputtiyo@...
                > > <mailto:sakyaputtiyo@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20why%20i%20canot%20open%20CSCD>
                > > sakyaputtiyo <http://profiles.yahoo.com/sakyaputtiyo>
                > >

                > > Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:40 pm (PST)

              • sakyaputtiyo
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 8, 2011
                  Bhante Nyanatusita,
                  In the Microsoft Office OneNote program, whenever we copy something from the web, the name of the site from where we copied it comes attached with the data. It would be so helpful if the CSCD program had such a function: whenever we copy something it, the reference book name and page number would come attached. Bhante, please try to suggest this to the programmer about this also.

                  Metta
                  Sakyaputtiyo

                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nyanatusita <nyanatusita@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Sakyaputtiyo and others,
                  >
                  > Some months ago I also tried in vain to install CSCD version 3 on my new
                  > computer which is running on Windows 7 home edition. I was told by
                  > someone connected to to the Vipassana Research Institute that the reason
                  > why CSCD version 3 can't be run on Windows 7 is because it is a 32 bit
                  > system, while Windows 7 is a 64 bits system... Perhaps it can be run on
                  > the professional version of Windows 7, which can apparently can run 32
                  > bit programs.
                  > The source code of CSCD version 3 is lost so that it can't be updated.
                  > This is a pity because CSCD 3 had some search functions which are not
                  > there in version 4 such as showing the contexts of search results (i.e.,
                  > words before and after the word searched for, etc.). I contacted the
                  > programmer of CSCD version 4--- Frank Snow---but although he would like
                  > to add these functions, he has no time to do so at the moment.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
                  >

                  > > 1a.
                  > > Re: why i canot open CSCD <#1a> From: sakyaputtiyo@...
                  > > 1b.
                  > > Re: why i canot open CSCD <#1b> From: Larry Rosenfeld
                  > >
                  > > View All Topics
                  > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbHBmNDNkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTEzNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDczOTQ3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNhdHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyOTM3MDM5MzQ-?xm=1&m=p&tidx=1>
                  > > | Create New Topic
                  > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmdW0zMDAzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTEzNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDczOTQ3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyOTM3MDM5MzQ->
                  > >

                  > > Messages
                  > >
                  > > 1a.
                  > >

                  > > Re: why i canot open CSCD
                  > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/message/15127;_ylc=X3oDMTJyZ3FzbzByBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTEzNzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDczOTQ3BG1zZ0lkAzE1MTI3BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyOTM3MDM5MzQ->
                  > >

                  > > Posted by: "sakyaputtiyo@..." sakyaputtiyo@...
                  > > <mailto:sakyaputtiyo@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20why%20i%20canot%20open%20CSCD>
                  > > sakyaputtiyo <http://profiles.yahoo.com/sakyaputtiyo>
                  > >

                  > > Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:40 pm (PST)

                • Leonard
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 9, 2011
                    For advanced users, you may try to workaround that by setting up "Windows XP Mode" and install the software in that environment.

                    Anyway, the default, "Windows XP Mode will only run on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate editions". It also "requires a CPU with the Intel® Virtualization Technology or AMD-V™ feature turned on."

                    Some related information is described at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10911/run-xp-mode-on-windows-7-machines-without-hardware-virtualization/ and http://www.vmlite.com/index.php/products/vmlite-xp-mode/overview

                    The steps are cumbersom and it also use up significant amount of additional hard-disk space and memory.